Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

BlueBomberTurbo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX32VD/

Going to be doing a temporary move (1-2 years), so I'm looking to pick up a laptop or tablet for photo editing. Anyone have experience with the ASUS UX32VD-DH71, or other UX32/UX31 series ultrabooks with the 1080p IPS screen? They supposedly cover 99% of the sRGB spectrum, and are good for outdoor viewing with their matte screens and high brightness. I've got an ASUS PA246Q for my desktop right now, which matches my printer perfectly, but it won't be coming with me just yet.

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:45 PM
kzoockof
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

I can't speak to the specific computer you are questioning and I do realize that each model is different.

I have had an Asus ultrabook laptop for about 6-7 months now. It is okay. These are my hardware related issues with it:

1: If you are trying to use the mouse pad and your hand or wrist is resting on the metal area at the base of the computer, near the pad, the mouse does not work properly!

2: Every once in a while it just shuts off! No known reason for why it shuts off, it just turns off.

Now I just use this laptop mostly for internet and e-mail mostly, and business travel (not presentations), so I have sort of learned to live with this. But if I were editing pictures or doing important work, I think these issues would be much more unacceptable to me.

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:11 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

I have that one. The screen is very good, and light leaks are only noticeable on boot. I upgraded it to 10gb ram and an 250gb SSD.

In general, I'm happy with it, but it feels underpowered for Photoshop work. When on battery in power saving mode, I can't use it for more than a web browser, and is painful with Photoshop and LR. I am forced to activate high performance mode when I use these, and battery performance is awful. I'll be lucky if I get 2hr in high performance, and I get maybe 3.5 hr in battery saving mode.
It does its job but it's not all roses unfortunately.
Note, I don't have any WiFi or heat/fan issues that others have reported.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:37 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

I've never had any wifi issues with it. As to the heat fan, it comes on once in a while, but no where near as often as my macbook. That fan will come on and stay on for an hour (on the macbook). Sometimes I think once it goes on, it doesn't know to ever shut off. I have to close my screen and the computer goes to sleep, only then does it ever seem to turn the fan off. A few years ago, i switched the whole family over to mac, iMac, 2 macbooks, 2 macbook airs. The iMac completely dies in its 13th month. 2 out of the 4 macbooks run very slow now and I have been spending $400 on year on batteries for the 4 different laptops. You don't even want to know how many iPhones have died in my house! More dead iPhones than inhabitants in my house! All have died in the range of 13-16 months.

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

kzoockof - you're cursed too !! I thought I was the only one.

Mar 11, 2014 at 06:30 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

Well, just ordered one from Newegg. It should be here on Thurs, so I'll report in then. I've got a spare Samsung 840 128GB SSD that's going in, along with 8GB RAM for a total of 10GB, so should be quick enough.

Mar 11, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

The IPS screen is a big advantage over non-IPS screen - even more than I had realised. It will serve you well even if it does not have full sRGB gamut because it will show you the colours and tones consistently no matter where they appear on the screen. Without IPS the dark colours tend to go black the closer they are to the top of the screen or, more specifically, when you are looking upwards at them instead of downwards or straight-on. Of course the screen is bigger than your eyes and so you no choice but to look upwards at parts of it and downwards at other parts.

I like the ASUS full-HD 15.6" IPS matte screens but I couldn't cope with a year or two of using only a 13" screen; simply too small for me but if your eyes are young enough then you should be ok.

- Alan

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

Yeah, my current laptop is a TN panel, and is completely useless. I've got a 10-bit ASUS PA246Q monitor at home, which matches my Epson Artisan 810's output and prints from Miller's perfectly. Hopefully I can get close enough to that on the new laptop.

As far as the high ppi, the only thing I'm concerned about is sharpening, since I'm used to using a 24" display, and high ppi ones tend to make things look much sharper and crisper. Like how smartphone pics look fine on a phone, but terrible on a real computer. I guess I could zoom in to 200% at that stage to get a near equivalent look to my current monitor, though. Worst comes to worst, I can always ship my good monitor up to the temporary place.

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

boingyman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

I think that's a pretty sweet consumer laptop/ultrabook for a 13". I was actually looking at that, but I really wanted a 15" so I ended up getting a ASUS n550jv db71, which I should be receiving tomorrow! The Zenbook 15" UX51VZ would have been nice, but out of my price range.

I'm not sure if it uses the same panel as yours, but it is also uses the 1920x1080 IPS matte screen. Just curious if you have a reference that shows the panel covers 99% sRBG? I had a difficult time finding that info for the laptop I purchased and the only reference I could find showed closer to 80%.

Anyway let us know how it works out. I'll be messing with mine hopefully this weekend and maybe do some calibration with my Color Munki Display.

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:33 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

Here's one of the most in-depth review sites I've found:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-UX32VD-Ultrabook.75591.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N550JV-CN201H-Notebook.98311.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-UX51VZ-U500VZ-Notebook.84246.0.html

The 13" ones seem to be the only panels that have 99% sRGB coverage. Everything else Asus makes seems to be less.

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:38 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

Well, I was SUPPOSED to get my laptop yesterday, but Newegg screwed up the order. Looks like it never got over to FedEx, since the tracking never updated past the shipping label being created. Not only that, but in the meantime, they decided to drop the price on the laptop by $100...

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:30 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

At least you got a discount! ...Those were the same reviews I've read too. Some other sites I noticed (assuming the DB71 uses the same panel - LG0323), states it has about 80-85% sRGB coverage. Also the LG0323 has quite a bit of complaints in certain laptop models for reds looking orange and violets looking purple. Seems like your panel is definitely better. If only I wanted a 13" laptop!

I just received my N550JV DB71 yesterday. UPS left it right at the door... Didn't get to do much with it, but the IPS matte screen sure is nice compared to my previous TN laptop. Didn't do much testing, but reds and violets look fine. Viewing angles are great. Hopefully I'll be able to install LR, PS and all my software over the weekend. I want to see how quickly it can handle it all. Then I'll try and calibrate the screen with my Colormunki.

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:26 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

boingyman wrote:
At least you got a discount!

That's yet to be seen. It's just the updated price on their site, not what I'm being charged for. They've avoided my emails all day. They were quick in responding yesterday when I pointed out that there was something odd with the shipping, though....

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

Alright, finally got it in! My initial impression is that this thing is pretty badass. Build quality is great, the keyboard is easy to type on, and the trackpad is very precise and responsive. The screen lifts effortlessly, and lays back down with a soft clap, instead of slamming down like most laptops. It's not paper thin like lots of ultrabooks, but enough to still be slim inside the supplied padded carrying envelope (which is really nice looking).

Dropped in a 128GB Samsung 840 SSD and 8GB RAM (very easy to do), though the RAM didn't take for whatever reason. But even with only 2GB, this thing FLIES on the SSD! Spent some time installing drivers and Windows updates, and the computer restarts in 22 seconds. :o Haven't timed a cold boot, but it's even faster. Reads quickly from USB 3.0 thumb drives, and the Wifi is nice and fast, matching my ethernet-connected PC. Even the speakers, with built in sound chambers, are much fuller than you'd expect from a laptop.

Oh yeah, and the screen! While initially off in calibration (yellowish), it's easy to see that it's top notch. Very bright, with colors that are nicely saturated, and blacks that are deeper than my desktop monitor's.

This will make an excellent portable workstation. Can't wait to get everything completely set up and ready to go. I'll report back with my findings as far as ACR/LR/PS performance, and how well the screen calibrates.

Mar 20, 2014 at 05:36 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

I've had mine for about 18 months now, with the RAM bumped to 10GB, and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD as a replacement. I've been quite happy with it, but I wish the battery life was longer. The screen calibrates quite close to sRGB, keyboard isn't bad, but I do find the trackpad a bit touchy.

One thing to note is that if using Win8/8.1, the default wifi driver is very poor for coverage and stability. I updated manually from Intel's site and things are great now.

Mar 21, 2014 at 08:28 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Anyone?

Hmm, I'll check the driver out tonight. Just updated to 8.1 and so far manged to cut the install size down to 22GB. Gonna try for a bit more, so I can get Photoshop in there, too. I wiped the 24GB cache partition and used it to store a backup of the initial Windows install (just barely fit), so I can go back to 100% clean anytime I want. Not to mention the transfer speed from SSD to SSD is just absurd. Only took a few min to copy that 22GB from one to the other!

Also, the speakers on this thing, after tweaking Windows' EQ, sound pretty great considering it's a laptop. Obviously very little in terms of bass, but still full and wide sounding none the less. The Bang & Olufsen logo etched on the case isn't a gimmick.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password