New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Beware of "flasher77"

Brett Braden

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beware of "flasher77"

I tried to buy a Nikon 200mm f/2 lens from "flasher 77" about two weeks ago. Sent PP funds and never got a tracking number sent to me. After waiting over a week and contacting seller again, I was told the package had been shipped but was damaged en route and had been diverted to NPS in Orlando (which I don't even think exists) to be examined and repaired if necessary. I immediately asked for a refund. The seller agreed to a refund but said it would take a few days to put money back in the PayPal account. That was a few days ago and have not heard from the seller again. Up to this point, all communication had taken place through PM's on FM. Last night I decided to contact the "seller" through his PayPal email address. Turns out that the guy who had the PayPal account was not flasher 77, but rather some poor guy who was letting his new internet girlfriend (whom he had never actually met in person - met on a foreign bride website) run internet scams through his account. He would receive money in his PayPal account and then immediately forward the funds on to his internet girlfriend without ever knowing what the transaction was for. I found all this out last night because I asked the PP account holder to call me after we exchanged about 20 very awkward emails with me thinking he was flasher 77 (neither one of us knew what the hell was going on). Anyway, I contacted PP dispute center, and they immediately refunded my entire purchase price after they contacted the account holder and got the facts straight. I knew I was taking a chance on a new FM member with no feedback, but was convinced it was legit because of the answers I was getting to the questions I was asking. I will never make that stupid mistake again. This is a great forum, but you still have to be careful.

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:51 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beware of "flasher77"

Lucky, lucky, lucky you. .

Feb 28, 2014 at 02:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beware of "flasher77"

Man! Talk about fraudsters. Glad that you got your money back.

Maybe they can track down the poor dope's "girl" friend and they can share some time in the slammer.

Feb 28, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beware of "flasher77"

No need to be aware of him. I was banned after the first suspicious report I received. I'm sorry about your transaction. I'm glad you were insured with Paypal.
I have added new code to prevent new members from scamming our board.
Fred

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:16 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beware of "flasher77"

Thanks Fred!

Ha, he contacted me on a older WTB I had on the B&S, here was our dialogue:

flasher77
Hi Karl,

I have not placed the camera for sale on FM, cos' I had not really made up my mind on selling it before now.

Rgds,
Flasher

To: flasher77
Date: Feb 22, 2014
Subject: Re: Canon 6D
Hi and thanks for the PM. Do you have sales here on FM?
Karl

To: Karl Witt
Date: Feb 21, 2014
Subject: Re: Canon 6D
About a month ago I purchased a 5D3 and 6D to test out which one will work better for my needs. I thought it would be cheaper than renting for a month. I've decided to keep the 5D3 and sell the 6D. I purchased the camera refurbished from Canon and it is in like new condition. The shutter count is 613. The camera will come with all standard accessories like battery, charger, strap and instruction manual. The price is $1250 .

If interested,kindly revert.

Flasher.

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:52 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beware of "flasher77"

Thanks for the "code" intervention, Fred, and for adding the "post" requirement because it will create a new criterion to identify these guys by: look for recent sign-up date followed by 25 posts w/in 24 hours all of which are the equivalent of ^^^+1, and of course include the usual crap about PP gift, Chase QuickPay, or other non-fee payment.

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:27 PM
halie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beware of "flasher77"

Dang, I haven't even been around that long but I miss the days when the buy and sell forum would only see a couple short pages of listings per 24 hours.

Feb 28, 2014 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.