Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

jj_glos wrote:
Have you used the dock to calibrate yours yet? It seems that once people sort this the lens is fine.

Just to clarify my issue; I use the outer AF points a lot, and as the light levels drop my ability to use these points does reduce (with all lenses). With the Sigma this happens earlier than with the 35L. The Sigma 50 also let's me use the outer points in lower light than I can with the 35. AF performance is great apart from that.

Yes. Early tests suggested I'd need about -12 to correct for it at distance. That's not good! I don't know why Sigma are struggling so much with this. So many people are reporting the issue..

When I have one which focuses accurately I think I'm going to do some limited tests at weddings - on non-essential sections of the day

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:30 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

3 words...dock, Dock, DOCK Plug 'er in and there's a firmware update ready
to load and make your life easier. Mine's perfect in any light...on 4 different bodies.
As to your comment I'd need about -12 to correct for it at distance. That's not good!
that made me laugh...who cares, if you're within adjustable range

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:35 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.3 #3 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

trenchmonkey wrote:
3 words...dock, Dock, DOCK Plug 'er in and there's a firmware update ready
to load and make your life easier. Mine's perfect in any light...on 4 different bodies.
As to your comment
that made me laugh...who cares, if you're within adjustable range

2 words. I have. Firmware was already up to date

Why do I care? Because it could suggest that the lens is significantly out of alignment? And I don't want to get left with a Turkey? And other people who DON'T have the dock might find this information very useful, since they'll know they need to dock? And if they're not capable of MAing their lens, maybe they should avoid it?

And maybe don't laugh at me - but ask instead? I'm perfectly happy to reply to a simple question.

And I'm glad yours is perfect. However, what I consider perfect in the conditions I shoot in might be totally different to you, so - thanks for sharing - but your experience is irrelevant to me unless you provide a lot more information.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #4 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Yes, but the lens needs to be effectively calibrated and the motor needs to be accurate for that to happen effectively.

as I wrote, I was one of the first to test Sigma 35/1,4 and have no problems at all

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #5 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

jj_glos wrote:
Have you used the dock to calibrate yours yet? It seems that once people sort this the lens is fine.

Just to clarify my issue; I use the outer AF points a lot, and as the light levels drop my ability to use these points does reduce (with all lenses). With the Sigma this happens earlier than with the 35L. The Sigma 50 also let's me use the outer points in lower light than I can with the 35. AF performance is great apart from that.

then tell me , is it the camera or the lens? the lens is working with given instructions from the camera

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #6 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

And about "bokeh" , I was showing over at Canon rumors a year ago the bokeh from my Canon 35/1,4 and the Sigma 35/1,4
neither I or other could se any difference which was pointing out that one or another was better

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:57 PM
skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I have played with mine and so far it seems pretty accurate at least with the minimu amount of time I had with it. I shot wide open and it seems fine I also ran it with dot tune as I plugged it in to the dock and didn't know where to start with the adjustments per distance as I didn't know how to
Get those values. If u are experiencing any issues I would suggest exchanging it if possible
Don't get stuck with a lens that isn't up to your standards.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:00 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #8 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Mikael Risedal wrote:
then tell me , is it the camera or the lens? the lens is working with given instructions from the camera

...and the camera can only provide those instructions based on the info it receives through the lens...

Although it will confirm focus on my 7D in the same conditions it doesn't focus accurately, so can't be relied on. I've used the 35L on the same body in the same light with less issues with the outer points. My other lenses (excepting the Tamron 28-75 and Canon 35f2) don't have issues with the outer points in the same light levels where the Sigma 35L struggles. I haven't bought the dock as AF accuracy is fine generally so I can't see how it would help low light performance?

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:29 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

My Sigma 35 works very good. Both in one shot mode and in AI servo mode. The AF is as accurate and reliable as with any of my Canon lenses.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:45 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.3 #10 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Just rung Sigma. Seems my email was waiting for someone to come back from the photography show in the UK. That's fair enough I suppose...

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password