FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The AF is very good both with stationary subjects and in AI servo with my 1DX, 1D4, 1Ds3, 1D3 & 100D bodies.
I have been using the lens about 14 months. And shot about 14k pics with it.

I agree. The lens has been very realible I will run it on the USB dock right now.

Mar 02, 2014 at 09:12 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

My take is that AF is worse than with any of my EF lenses in low light - other than that I am happy with it.

Other members have said their copies are fine in low light - but I think defining 'low light' is subjective, and that there are differences in both how we shoot and in expectations.

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:29 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Legion5 wrote:
I've had 3 copies of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 in an effort to get the sharpest copy and I've had zero issues with focusing. Even with AI-Servo on 2 5D Mark III bodies and a 70D, 35mm is my favorite focal length so that's after thousands of photos per lens on moving subjects.

If you've noticed issues, then get the Sigma dock. The the focus inconsistency is because the lens has AF micro adjust issues that are different depending on how far it is to the subject. Meaning +5 at MFD -5 at medium distance and +8 at infinity. The dock
...Show more

Thanks. I got the dock but haven't used it yet. I'm suspecting and hoping you're right because if I can get it working well I think I'll be very happy.

Looking back at the ai servo shots, there was a distance where none of them were in focus so you might be right.

I'll follow up when I've had a chance to finish everything off

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:55 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Paul Mo wrote:
My take is that AF is worse than with any of my EF lenses in low light - other than that I am happy with it.

Other members have said their copies are fine in low light - but I think defining 'low light' is subjective, and that there are differences in both how we shoot and in expectations.

It's difficult when users are shooting different things.

My FoCal tests were about ev4-5 but I took a shots of my laptop keyboard which was f1.4 ISO 6400 1/60th - that's pretty dark. It was bang on.

It seems on the whole to be a very accurate and effective AF system but I think I'll need to play with the dock since mine seems to be focussing differently at different distances - or something else is wrong.

I'm still hopeful I'll get it to work It definitely a nicer lens at f1.8, and even at 1.4 it puts in a good performance. The (supposed) improvement in low light focusing is great too. I don't think I'll know for sure until I've got it at a wedding and can try a few things out - I'll get the B&G to do a few tests with me.

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:01 AM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I shoot weddings to. The lens is crazy sharp. But at a reception/low light situation the af leaves something to be desired. This is where the 35l conquers it.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:30 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

big country wrote:
I shoot weddings to. The lens is crazy sharp. But at a reception/low light situation the af leaves something to be desired. This is where the 35l conquers it.

Really? I kind of found the opposite with my tests, such as they were. I think I need to give it a good go at my next wedding and see whether it can really handle that kind of world. I'd be sad if that was the case.

Why did you switch then?

I think "people" sometimes don't understand what weddings are like. They're incredibly hard and you really do need gear you can reply on. Comment not directed at anyone in particular...

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:02 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I personally wouldn't switch if your 35L is consistent. IMO AF consistency/accuracy trumps slightly better IQ/sharpness when shooting any event such as a wedding. Also 35L IQ and rendering is more than acceptable IMO.

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:18 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Well i didn't switch. i have two 35L's and the sigma 35. One goes w my main shooter, one goes w/ the studio manager, and the sigma goes w/ me.

i am expanding my studio to deal w/ growth.

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:20 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

boingyman wrote:
I personally wouldn't switch if your 35L is consistent. IMO AF consistency/accuracy trumps slightly better IQ/sharpness when shooting any event such as a wedding. Also 35L IQ and rendering is more than acceptable IMO.

The 35 is pretty good, but not amazing. I use the outer edge of the frame a fair amount and I don't love how it looks towards the side and edge of the frame

I think it's good to try these things. If I'm not happy with it, it'll go back...

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:22 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Had a bit of time with this tonight. As others are saying, focusing at distance was miles off. It took a -12 MA for 2m to infinity to correct for it. That's pretty bad.

I'm still unsure about this. I might get in touch with sigma and see what they say..

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:13 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Wow that's pretty bad. I ran mine thru the dot tune mode and I was only -1 on it. I am pleased with mine so far.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:08 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

If this is a lens you'll use in demanding situations where there's no chance at a second shot, you should already have all the evidence you need. Your copy seems to be pretty inconsistent, so why risk it? There are already enough complications with weddings, why leave a chance for the gear to let you down?

I've had the Sigma 35, 35 f/2 IS and the 35L. I kept the 35L. No doubt the Sigma was sharpest. If I could pause time and use live view to autofocus every shot I'd still have it. My 35L just nails AF every time, so any shortcomings it has in resolution are more than accounted for in the fact that the thing just works.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:00 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

big country wrote:

That's my experience with the 35's too. As I've stopped shooting weddings though it was less of an issue for me to go with the Sigma.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I did wonder if the issues I experienced were due to the older bodies that I use. Hence why many do seem happy with low light AF performance?

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:13 AM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I was one of the first to have Sigma 35 and have no problem at all with the lens.
Sharp, no problems with AF
it is the camera that delivers AF instructions and not vice versa
and I have not seen or found that the AF motor + electronics would be worse than the one in Canon 35/1.4
Roger Cicala can perhaps enlighten us on the differences between the two AF motors and the instructions given to them

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:32 AM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Paul Mo wrote:

do a test with lower and lower light and se if there are any differences instead of guessing and speculations

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:48 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

austin.grant wrote:
If this is a lens you'll use in demanding situations where there's no chance at a second shot, you should already have all the evidence you need. Your copy seems to be pretty inconsistent, so why risk it? There are already enough complications with weddings, why leave a chance for the gear to let you down?

I won't be taking it to weddings unless I'm happy with it but I'm also not willing to just drop it immediately without trying to sort it out...

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:35 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

jj_glos wrote:
As I posted earlier in the thread, I did wonder if the issues I experienced were due to the older bodies that I use. Hence why many do seem happy with low light AF performance?

I don't know. It does seem odd.

I found that consistency was definitely better than the Canon when focusing at low light in FoCal, but mine has a clear issue at distance and I've now contacted Sigma to ask them for their view.

I really want to like this lens. It is clearly producing more consistent results at certain light levels and distances, but before I'm sure I need a copy which is properly set up.

It's sad since Sigma are clearly rockin' it for optics, but they're not for AF. My Canon 24-70 V2 that I got was bang on and always is and always has been. Best performing lens I've got in many ways, so I do think Canon can do it, when they want to.

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:39 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Mikael Risedal wrote:
it is the camera that delivers AF instructions and not vice versa

Yes, but the lens needs to be effectively calibrated and the motor needs to be accurate for that to happen effectively.

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:40 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

skasol wrote:
Wow that's pretty bad. I ran mine thru the dot tune mode and I was only -1 on it. I am pleased with mine so far.

I've not done a dot tune on it yet. I will do. But it was clearly WAY out...

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:53 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I don't know. It does seem odd.

I found that consistency was definitely better than the Canon when focusing at low light in FoCal, but mine has a clear issue at distance and I've now contacted Sigma to ask them for their view.

I really want to like this lens. It is clearly producing more consistent results at certain light levels and distances, but before I'm sure I need a copy which is properly set up.

It's sad since Sigma are clearly rockin' it for optics, but they're not for AF. My Canon 24-70 V2 that I got was bang on and always
...Show more

Have you used the dock to calibrate yours yet? It seems that once people sort this the lens is fine.

Just to clarify my issue; I use the outer AF points a lot, and as the light levels drop my ability to use these points does reduce (with all lenses). With the Sigma this happens earlier than with the 35L. The Sigma 50 also let's me use the outer points in lower light than I can with the 35. AF performance is great apart from that.

Mar 04, 2014 at 06:18 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.