Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I was wondering ... has anyone really put the Sigma 35 Art through it's paces AF wise? I do weddings so I'm can be shooting someone walking towards me on AI servo (5d3) at ISO4000, f1.8, 1/80th. For that I really need kit that is ultra reliable for AF.

So has anyone really testing the AF of the 35 Art, or have most people just photographed stationary subjects in relatively good light?

I'm half considering selling my 35L and getting one ... and the 50 Art is of interest to. I use 35 less than 50 so I was kind of wondering if I should get the 35 Art as a "tester" before I get the 50, so I can see how far Sigma have come.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Robin Smith
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

In your case I wouldn't bother as the 35L is really good and for your purposes all you are adding is weight and bulk and the L is a CPS-eligible lens and has no AF issues at all. The Sigma's great but as you already have the L...

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I had 2 copies; neither of them were what I called consistent AF'ers. I could get the AFMA perfect indoors, then take it outside and it not need any AFMA at all. I found it varied wildly based on the light source and distance to subject. This was with the 5d3. Others have reported 0 problems. All I know is my other lenses didn't exhibit this problem (other than the Tamron 24-70 2.8).
You might want to rent one first.

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:08 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Although from Nikon I found it to be great generally. When using it for my little 3yr old I found that you'd need to have the shutter speed up to 800/s or more when using ar F1.4-2.2 with continuous focus. This would ensure at least a few nailing focus.

I have always found sigma lenses to be inconsistent especially at infinity. That said, with the usb dock you can buy you can alter the micro adjustment to different focal lengths & that works pretty damn good. So I'd recommend it based on having the dock. When it nails focus the images are great, but for my move to Canon I am sticking with canon glass for "reliability"...if there is such a thing

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:16 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Thanks. Part of the reason for looking at it is I'm really interested in the upcoming 50 art and as the 50L is my most used lens and the 35L my least used, I was considering giving it a go to get myself into sigma a bit.

But if it's likely to be inconsistent I might not bother

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:42 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

My Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art has been reliable for focus with 6D & 5D III.

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:39 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Hmmm.... Inconsistent then :/

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Robin Smith
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I don't really understand your logic. You have a lens you use less than another and yet you want to buy a new lens for that, even though this has no effect on the use of the lens you use more. I don't really get why buying a new 35 "prepares" you for buying a yet-to-be-announced 50? The Sigma 35 and any new Sigma 50 will be different lenses.

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:11 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I sold my 35L after finding a good Sigma after four attempts. No doubt the Sigma is sharper, but AF wise, even a great copy, does not focus consistently as the Canon.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

Robin Smith wrote:
I don't really understand your logic. You have a lens you use less than another and yet you want to buy a new lens for that, even though this has no effect on the use of the lens you use more. I don't really get why buying a new 35 "prepares" you for buying a yet-to-be-announced 50? The Sigma 35 and any new Sigma 50 will be different lenses.

I agree. They will be different lenses but I'm suspecting they will share similar internals.

Sigma has a lot of ground to make up with me and I'd rather not do that with my most used lens.

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skasol
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I bought the 35 Sigma Art and it has been consistent so far AF wise, I also got the USB to help calibrate. I do agree that if the 35 isn't your used lens then there's no point on buying another 35, do you already have a 50L?

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:20 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

skasol wrote:
I bought the 35 Sigma Art and it has been consistent so far AF wise, I also got the USB to help calibrate. I do agree that if the 35 isn't your used lens then there's no point on buying another 35, do you already have a 50L?

It does get used at wedding receptions during speeches and I'd like to start shooting at f1.4 - I'm not that happy with the 35L at 1.4. It's probably that which is pushing me more than anything ... plus this desire to "try out a sigma".

With that in mind, I bought it from Amazon who have a good returns policy. If I don't like it, I'll try a second and then give up.

Yes I have the 50L already. I'd love to replace that with something I can happily (in my mind) shoot at f1.4. I don't feel it's nice enough under f1.8 - the centre isn't terrible, but anywhere else isn't great.

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:36 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

The Sigma 35 and 1Ds2 combo that I have, isn't something I would use for weddings. If I was still shooting them I would go the 35L route (either rent or buy). The issue I have is low light performance, in decent light it is fine. I do know wedding togs who love the Sigma though, but they are using 5D3 bodies which are just a tad more capable than my dinosaur

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:57 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
It does get used at wedding receptions during speeches and I'd like to start shooting at f1.4 - I'm not that happy with the 35L at 1.4. It's probably that which is pushing me more than anything ... plus this desire to "try out a sigma".

With that in mind, I bought it from Amazon who have a good returns policy. If I don't like it, I'll try a second and then give up.

Yes I have the 50L already. I'd love to replace that with something I can happily (in my mind) shoot at f1.4. I don't feel it's nice
...Show more

I completely agree about the 50L. I am anxiously waiting to see sigma's 50 Art if it's anything close to the 35 I am dumping my 50L and pinking up the Art.

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:25 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

So I got it today. I've done some tests compared to the 35L. So far I've worked out it's as sharp or sharper at all apertures, only starts to lose sharpness at f2, whereas the 35L starts to lose sharpness at f5, focuses better in low light and is more consistent with focus accuracy too. (all tests done in low light - about EV4.5)

However, I did some AI servo tests and it wasn't so good. It seemed to struggle with certain specific distances. I need to investigate more and maybe look into the dock.

Currently.... I'm undecided. I hope I can get it to focus consistently at all distances and in AI servo. If so, it's a better 35 than the 35L.

(It was MAed in FoCal and the aperture sharpness tests and focus consistency tests were done in FoCal too, all in relatively low light since that's where I spend a reasonable amount of my life).

Mar 02, 2014 at 06:16 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
So I got it today. I've done some tests compared to the 35L. So far I've worked out it's as sharp or sharper at all apertures, only starts to lose sharpness at f2, whereas the 35L starts to lose sharpness at f5, focuses better in low light and is more consistent with focus accuracy too. (all tests done in low light - about EV4.5)

However, I did some AI servo tests and it wasn't so good. It seemed to struggle with certain specific distances. I need to investigate more and maybe look into the dock.

Currently.... I'm undecided. I hope I can
...Show more

I got mine pretty accurate, I do have the dock and thinking of running it through it since I have it. I did use AI servo and it seemed to be fine. I will test mine out some more.

Mar 02, 2014 at 06:27 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

skasol wrote:
I got mine pretty accurate, I do have the dock and thinking of running it through it since I have it. I did use AI servo and it seemed to be fine. I will test mine out some more.

Thanks

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:27 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Thanks

My pleasure

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

The AF is very good both with stationary subjects and in AI servo with my 1DX, 1D4, 1Ds3, 1D3 & 100D bodies.
I have been using the lens about 14 months. And shot about 14k pics with it.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:37 AM
Legion5
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 35 Art AF consistency

I've had 3 copies of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 in an effort to get the sharpest copy and I've had zero issues with focusing. Even with AI-Servo on 2 5D Mark III bodies and a 70D, 35mm is my favorite focal length so that's after thousands of photos per lens on moving subjects.

If you've noticed issues, then get the Sigma dock. The the focus inconsistency is because the lens has AF micro adjust issues that are different depending on how far it is to the subject. Meaning +5 at MFD -5 at medium distance and +8 at infinity. The dock solves these problems.

Please do write a follow up when you get the dock and/or get a second lens. Repots are showing about 80% of lenses being flawless focus wise, so you should have no issues.

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password