FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Slabshaft
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

We had some really nice clouds roll into Flagstaff yesterday, so I decided to head up to the canyon to try and catch some nice sunset/cloud light. Well, as per usual, the clouds completely fizzled by the time I hit the park Nonetheless, I had to be flexible. The wind was really kicking in Northen AZ and the dust was hazing up the Painted Desert and the canyon, so I thought I should leverage the dust and see what kind of cool effects it offered while looking directly into the sun. I found this lone tree at the end of Lipan point and felt like I should compose it with the sun right behind as if breathing life into it the plant. After many shots in between wind gusts, I finally got a still, pixel-sharp image. I was also hoping for a sunstar, but high clouds on the horizon killed it, so I just went for what I call the "big glow". Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

On a nitpicking note, the horizon does look like barrel distortion, but it's just that the horizon isn't flat. I tried to alleviate it a bit by keeping it symmetric, but completely flattening the horizon ruins the composition in the lower part of the image, so I just kept it.

C&C welcome.

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:49 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Very cool looking! I really like how you worked the sun in this, very nice to see how sun looks, no banding from pushing it too much.

As for the horizon, in cases like this the Warp tool is your friend. Just use it and slighty pull up on the bluff on the left side a little. It won't affect the bottom of the shot. I would leave the right side horizon alone, it looks natural.

Jim

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Great shot. The backlight effect on that tree looks quite nice.

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

I don't usually ask this.. but.. I am wondering if you could cut the top portion off from lowest horizon line.
You have a sensational lighting onto the tree!!! Simply Gorgeous!

I will be arriving at the Grand Canyon on March 12 for my Grand Circle road travel! Can't wait!

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:18 PM
ChrisFischer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Really good control of the gorgeous light here,

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:48 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Thanks all! I did end up taking Jim's advice and leveled the butte on the left with the liquify tool. It polished off the shot nicely for me. I really look forward to the print.

On the subject of cropping it: I definitely see where cropping the sky could change the feel of it for better or worse. On this one though, I like the pastel sky for some reason. In my mind it completes the bright/dreamy sensation I experienced while I was out there.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:10 PM
JasonMichael

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Excellent capture of the light.

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Not sure how this hasnt gotten more attention. Other then wanting to see different compositions, I cant see anything that could be improved. Really sweet capture of some rarer conditions and light.

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

Great shot

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:12 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dusty sunset at the Grand Canyon

lovely light John

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:10 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.