Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

A Pensioner's Focusarater

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

mitesh wrote:
Retirement? I'm afraid that's a good 30 years away for me, Peter. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn from you as an example of what NOT to do

Excellent work, DB

Yeah, I've only been working for 9 years so I think unfortunately I also have another 30 or so to go.....unless I become a professional wildlife photographer.....but then I'd probably have to sell off my gear to put food on the table....

So I think I'll just keep working away and put more lenses on the table instead...

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:07 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

jimbob wrote:
Thank you Db for this thread and sharing your ideas. I have lots of wood and hinges and screws and time. I'll be right on it after I do the laundry and the dishes and peeling the potatoes and the snow shovelling and and. I am into my 29th year of retirement. There is no money in it but the freedom is nice.
Regards
jimbob

Jimbob,

I appreciate your comments. You sound like a proud domesticated handyman. I hope it works out for you.

Db

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:59 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

Jon Joshua wrote:
A list of measured pieces that I would need to cut to make my own.

Jon,

I finally got around to making up what may be construed as a 'cut list'. I measured off most of the relevant lengths from my prototype (which is indeed also the latest version ) and wrote the measurements on photographs, which I then 'scanned' with my camera. As you can probably guess some of the cuts are not crucial to a working design. A lot of trial and error was involved as evidenced by a few extraneous visible screw holes.

All measurements are in units of centimeters. The stock wood was 3/4 inches thick.

The pictures are attached.

The deluxe version has padded feet attached.

Hope you find this useful. Perhaps you can improve upon the design.

Db

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:11 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

arbitrage wrote:
Yeah, I've only been working for 9 years so I think unfortunately I also have another 30 or so to go.....unless I become a professional wildlife photographer.....but then I'd probably have to sell off my gear to put food on the table....

So I think I'll just keep working away and put more lenses on the table instead...

Oh-oh, it looks like the ranks of pensioners has shrunk.

Db

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:15 AM
WesN
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

DB,

I also built a similar focus tester, though mine uses a 4 foot ruler I got at Home Depot (for testing the long glass) and a 8.5" X 11" focusing target (where I print out focus charts , that I can swap out, on the laser printer and just clip into place), and sits on a tripod. I like the mirror idea for alignment, much simpler than what I did.

Wes N.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

Doctorbird wrote:
....All measurements are in units of centimeters. The stock wood was 3/4 inches thick.

Smooth transition between SI metric and Imperial units.

There must be some Canada in your DNA.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:43 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

Doctorbird wrote:
....All measurements are in units of centimeters. The stock wood was 3/4 inches thick.

jcolwell wrote:
Smooth transition between SI metric and Imperial units. There must be some Canada in your DNA.

Countries with measurement systems primarily and almost completely based on the King's Foot:

Liberia, Burma, USA.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

WesN wrote:
DB,

I also built a similar focus tester, though mine uses a 4 foot ruler I got at Home Depot (for testing the long glass) and a 8.5" X 11" focusing target (where I print out focus charts , that I can swap out, on the laser printer and just clip into place), and sits on a tripod. I like the mirror idea for alignment, much simpler than what I did.

Wes N.

It's a bit hard to visualize what it looks like from your description. Please feel free to post an image.

Db

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:29 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

jcolwell wrote:
Smooth transition between SI metric and Imperial units.

There must be some Canada in your DNA.

Jim,

One of my great disappointments was the US retreat from converting to the metric system many years ago. I still haven't mastered such calculations as easily subtracting 5 9/32" from 8 3/8", say. . In order to conform to international standards, I used metric; also It was easier for me to write decimals rather than fractions on the pictures. I couldn't get 'metric' wood here, hence the 3/4" .

One of our 'standard' dimension of wood stock is, say, 1" x 4", which is in reality just 3/4" x 3.5". I guess because of shrinkage or trimming or something like that. I wonder what the situation is in metric countries like Canada? A standard 6 cm stock thickness perhaps?

BTW, I do like Canada, having relatives and friends there and it is the final resting place for my Mother.

Db

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:56 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

Thanks goodness photography is metric.

Canada is being held back from complete metrication by those elephants in the US acting as boat anchors. At one time the USA was a very progressive country. Much less so now, though parts like California do very well.

If metric is good enough for the US military and their recruits can handle it, then so can ordinary citizens and business.

Wood (lumber) here is sold in inches and feet. A 2x4 is similarly 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches and comes in 8, 12, and 16 foot lengths. Distances and gas and fuel efficiency are fully metric. Grocery stores still list items in both pounds and kg at the seafood and meat counters, but cheese is fully metric.

When full metrication comes in the US, and Canada finally, there will be a changeover period and after a while lumber will be sold in meters (metres) not feet. A 2x4 will undoubtedly still be 38 x 89 mm, though I think they'd be smart to make it 40 x 80 mm or 40 x 90. I found this table of Norwegian (presumably European standard metric) lumber dimensions:

Milled structural lumber dimensions

Actual size (Europe) Actual size (U.S.) Nominal size (U.S.)
30 mm 1.18 in
36 mm 1.42 in
48 mm 1.89 in 38 mm 1.50 in 2 in
61 mm 2.40 in
73 mm 2.87 in 64 mm 2.50 in 3 in
98 mm 3.86 in 89 mm 3.50 in 4 in
123 mm 4.84 in 114 mm 4.50 in 5 in
148 mm 5.83 in 140 mm 5.50 in 6 in
173 mm 6.81 in 159 mm 6.25 in 7 in
198 mm 7.80 in 184 mm 7.25 in 8 in
223 mm 8.78 in

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:47 PM
jimbob
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

Monito wrote.
Thanks goodness photography is metric.

I have in my old "shoe box of luckies" a Taylor Hobson 4 inch lens in brass mounting. It is from the 1920's era and the elements are quite stained. I don't know why I keep such stuff but I do. I have a lot of dodo. HaHa!!
jimbob

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

This little puppy must be from the transition period, it has both Imperial and SI focal lengths.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:20 PM
jimbob
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A Pensioner's Focusarater

Thank you Jim, I have some old 16mm movie cameras out of Kodak Rochester with Wollensak lenses.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password