Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Just shooting around the office. 1/3 sec hand held with the 85mm 1.4. On board image stabilization just rocks! To think every lens is stabilized. Why wont Nikon or Canon do this?

http://www.sonyalphaimages.com/gallery/4/U4I1393567254.SEQ.0.jpg

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:32 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Because you can charge more for each lens.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:50 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

You can get chips for adapted lenses, too. All my A-mount Leica Rs and Rokkors are stabilized.

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:11 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

freaklikeme wrote:
You can get chips for adapted lenses, too. All my A-mount Leica Rs and Rokkors are stabilized.

Yes, this is the reason to spend the money on an R adapter from Leitax and add in the proper chip for focal length information.

Plus... when you do that, you can then develop custom import settings for each lens as well (in Lightroom, not sure about others), so that falloff, distortion, etc. is automatically corrected at import. Very nice features!

I have an a900 that works that way, and recently added an a7r to the fold, but I miss the ICS that the a900 has.

---Michael

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:19 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

mjm6 wrote:
I have an a900 that works that way, and recently added an a7r to the fold, but I miss the ICS that the a900 has.

---Michael

It would be great (IMHO) if IBIS migrates to a small mirrorless. I imagine the IBIS equipment takes up additional space (vs. no IBIS).

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:41 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

telyt wrote:
It would be great (IMHO) if IBIS migrates to a small mirrorless. I imagine the IBIS equipment takes up additional space (vs. no IBIS).

IBIS is already available in the E-PM1/2, which are some of the smallest mirrorless cameras out there. Sony has chosen for some silly reason to skip IBIS in the E and FE mount cameras. While that's somewhat understandable in the ultra-thin NEX bodies, it makes no sense on the much thicker A3000 or A7(r).

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:57 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

nice, looks like the a99 sss is 1 stop step up on the a900.

yah, sony seriously fumbled the ball on that one. waiting for a version with ibis.

Feb 28, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Just shooting around the office. 1/3 sec hand held with the 85mm 1.4. On board image stabilization just rocks! To think every lens is stabilized. Why wont Nikon or Canon do this?

How does it help Nikon or Canon make more profit by making it easier to use lenses that they don't sell?

Feb 28, 2014 at 08:54 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

not that it would probably make any difference in their profit, but it would make every one of their non stabilized lens they sell easier to use, thus eliminating their competitive disadvantage, however small.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:51 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Why wont Nikon or Canon do this?

Sony's lenses don't perform up to the same standards as Nikon or Canon glass, so they need some sort of gimmick to attract customers...

Mar 01, 2014 at 11:03 AM
glina

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Sony's lenses don't perform up to the same standards as Nikon or Canon glass, so they need some sort of gimmick to attract customers...

Especially the ones on Jorge's photo.

Mar 01, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Classicxobsession

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

Wow 1/3 with 85mm. I guess the body stabilization on a99 is superior to the oss in e mount lenses.

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:37 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

molson wrote:

That's hilarious. The Sony/Zeiss AF lenses are a major reason why some choose A-mount in the first place.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:12 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

mawz wrote:
IBIS is already available in the E-PM1/2, which are some of the smallest mirrorless cameras out there. Sony has chosen for some silly reason to skip IBIS in the E and FE mount cameras. While that's somewhat understandable in the ultra-thin NEX bodies, it makes no sense on the much thicker A3000 or A7(r).

OK let me clarify. It would be great if IBIS migrates to a small full-frame mirrorless camera, i.e., A9.

Mar 01, 2014 at 11:10 PM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

I am hopng Molson is being sarcastic. Sonys glass is outstanding and the reason I had the hardest time giving up my Sony System. The 24-70 and 135 lenses are without comparison!

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:26 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Image stabilization A99. WOW!

molson wrote:

No offense molson, but I can't take your statement seriously.

Yes, we all know the Sony Zeiss lens is amazing. No question about it. But lets not forget some of that Minolta glass which is equal to if not better than some Nikon.

For the standard range of primes I use all the way up to the 135, Nikon does not even come close. Nikon glass is good but poor when compared to the Zeiss which is why I only had a few Nikon lenses when I owned my D4 and others and mainly used Zeiss manual focus. Now I have the advantage of Zeiss auto focus

And for those who shoot long lenses, the new 300mm 2.8 G II from Sony is just as good as the Nikon or Canon version. Some have even reported it may actually be better.

One from the 135 yesterday

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/4/U4I1393727255.SEQ.0.jpg

Mar 02, 2014 at 12:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.