New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · MacBook Pro/Retina and external Dell monitor calibration

graeme

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MacBook Pro/Retina and external Dell monitor calibration

I'm about to start getting some prints done and want to make sure I have them adjusted correctly.

I have an MBP/Retina and Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors (have 3 of various vintages). I'm having a hard time getting the color balanced between my MBP screen and the monitor. I'm using a i1display 2 with the latest Mac drivers.

I know this is an old colorimeter -- does anyone have luck with this and MBP/retina + Mavericks or should I just give up and get a new one and if so what's the colorimeter to get nowadays?

Thanks...

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MacBook Pro/Retina and external Dell monitor calibration

graeme wrote:
I'm about to start getting some prints done and want to make sure I have them adjusted correctly.

I have an MBP/Retina and Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors (have 3 of various vintages). I'm having a hard time getting the color balanced between my MBP screen and the monitor. I'm using a i1display 2 with the latest Mac drivers.

I know this is an old colorimeter -- does anyone have luck with this and MBP/retina + Mavericks or should I just give up and get a new one and if so what's the colorimeter to get nowadays?

Thanks...

I don't know. If any of the monitors are wide gamut it's not going to be a good bet. I don't know about Mavericks drivers or anything. If it is many years old the filters on it might be fading and it might not do a great job on any monitor. They also had a lot of copy to copy variation if you got an off the shelf version.

i1 Display Pro is a solid bet (unless you get into $1200+)

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:40 PM
graeme

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MacBook Pro/Retina and external Dell monitor calibration

skibum5 wrote:
I don't know. If any of the monitors are wide gamut it's not going to be a good bet. I don't know about Mavericks drivers or anything. If it is many years old the filters on it might be fading and it might not do a great job on any monitor. They also had a lot of copy to copy variation if you got an off the shelf version.

i1 Display Pro is a solid bet (unless you get into $1200+)

Thanks. That was the one I was thinking of, but was hoping I could get what I have working so I can spend that money on more lenses :-)

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:35 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MacBook Pro/Retina and external Dell monitor calibration

the i1D2 has a lifetime of about 5-7 years and then the filters fade out. Also, it's not wide-gamut friendly. And, lastly, it's hard to get 2 different screens of different manufacture and type to match. you can get them pretty close but it'll take some work reiterating until you get a match. Prepare to order a new calibration device.

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.