Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

mlim18
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

Hey Everyone, Brand new to lightroom here…

I edited a large batch of pictures in one catalog in Lightroom and decided that I wanted them in a different catalog, so I imported them to the new catalog and removed them from the old. BUT when I pulled them up in the new catalog, I discovered to my dismay that the develop adjustments that I made for the files did not import with them!

Can someone help me out? What did I do wrong and is there a way to recover my develop settings?

PS - Just read about the "write changes to xmp" setting… I did not have that turned on.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

do you have the images on disk still ?(guessing you do as you imported them into another catalogue)

Do you have a Backup of the LRCAT that you deleted them from thats pre the Deletion ? (hint you SHOULD let LR backup its Cat file on a VERY regular basis)

if you do have the Cat backed up then find that backup and double click it . LR will start up using that older cat file which should contain your edits . if you moved your image files then you will need to poiunt LR at them or put them back where LR thinks they are .

after that you could either let LR create the XMP sidecars by either checking the write to XMP or exporting the images as original (which will export with a XMP sidecar) .
Or you could go to you new LR cat and import the old LR cat into it which should bring over any edits .

there is another way which tidies things up so you dont have XMP files (easy to loose the XMP files when moving data around) which is to use DNG instead . I dont use DNG so you need to ask those that do how best to use them

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

By the way i dont thinks its good practice to remove anything from an LRcat unless you really dont want it .
it takes up next to no room (unless you are copying the raw files on import) .

I mark anything I dont want as a reject and then filter so I dont see the Rejects . after a while I will go thru all my rejects and then they are deleted (or un rejected) .

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:38 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

Your process of importing images was wrong. You should Import From Another Catalog, and in this way, you will retain all Cataloging aspects of your prior work. This includes History States, Collection work, and of course your Develop states. Writing XPM is fine, but recognize that will only retain Develop settings, along with other metadata fields.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

And never delete files until after you have verified that the copy you just created is ok.

I don't use the write changes to .xmp setting in Lr because it creates bundles of irritating files and they don't actually contain all of the info that the Lr catalog knows about each image - e.g. which collections it belongs to - and it slows things down by having to create, read and edit them in addition to putting the same info into the catalog. So instead I just use the Lr catalog file and I have Lr back it up every time I exit Lr and I have other software back it up often too.

The Lr catalog backups are stored on the same drive as the catalog, so it does not count as a reliable backup in the event that the drive fails. However, it does give a fairly recent copy of the catalog that the other backup software can use even while the original is open and in use by Lr.

- Alan

Mar 02, 2014 at 09:49 AM
mlim18
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lost My Develop Adjustments in Lightroom… Help!

FWIW - I was able to view the exif data from the jpeg's with all of the develop adjustments I had made. I went back through and readjusted the raw files. It was painstaking, but worth it.

Mar 31, 2014 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.