Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

intimistic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

I have noticed a new member that was posting allot of the same one word replies in some topics.
I first thought it was a bot and wondered how do you report that?

I clicked on their posts and found that they signed up 2 days ago and have posted 25+ messages all of which are multiple same few word posts to just a few topics and are now selling a high price camera with USPS as the shipping method for cash or offer. It seems suspect to me.

I don't want cause trouble but I also don't want a member to have trouble.

I have chosen not to name them as I don't know if this is suppose to be done in a PM with a moderator or if is acceptable in the public form.

What is the right thing to do here?
Thanks

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

Send a PM to Fred. He'll make the call.

Use the "Fred Miranda" link at the "Moderated by:" label, at the top right of the screen.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:59 PM
intimistic
• •
p.1 #3 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

Thank you

Feb 27, 2014 at 04:34 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

probably an eBay ex-patriate who found out about FM and as you've correctly noted put up 25+ posts just so he could get Upload and Sell privileges and then hawk his wares with none of the costs that would figure into an eBay deal He is violating FM's TOS if he has posted an item soliciting an "offer." He can ask for cash in a face-to-face transfer but my guess is he's likely pushing a prospective buyer to use PP gift.

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:18 PM
intimistic
• •
p.1 #5 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

Fred got back to me, he has taken care of it.
Everyone be careful out there.

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kasala

p.1 #6 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

I posted a bit ago on a related theme - the 25+ message requirement is going to create alot of activity on the forums and much of it won't carry any value at the end of the day. I'm not really active in the forums so I'm in the same boat. Thankfully I'm not in rush to list so when I get to 25, I get there.

I've sold in the past on here and do find it a bit frustrating that I can't post/list right now because of that limit.

Feb 27, 2014 at 07:02 PM
intimistic
• •
p.1 #7 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

I can see that being frustrating especially having already been able to sell in the past.
It looks like you have the posts required now, so I wish you the best with your sales.

Feb 27, 2014 at 08:53 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #8 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

It's a tough situation. I was a previous member and when the site updated quite a while back, it was a time when I just wasn't using it that much. Had to sign up for a new account. But even if that hadn't been the case and I was just new to the site . . .

I think the best things that members can do for the all of a sudden new B&S posters is to post a reply directly on their ads . . . suggesting that as a brand new member, it would be prudent for them and safer for potential buyers that additional seller information should be included.

First and foremost in my mind is listing their specific city versus just a State or country!

I think what makes this site great, and respectable, is both Fred and the members watching out for each other.

At the same time, having been through it, as a new member, even a new B&S member I would not like the idea that I need to have a long waiting period. But if it keeps scammers away, then I guess it is probably the best for all involved. Some sort of method to certify who you are would be nice, even if it meant incurring a fee.

But safety has to be the first priority, and members need to participate in assuring this, like the OP is trying to do.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:39 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #9 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

Add on to my post above. One thing I don't like about the practices on this site is the immediate move to communicate via PM. I understand the purpose of doing this, but I think when an offer has been made, the offer has been accepted (with a denotation on "if payment received by") or a pending sale status achieved- these should be posted directly on the ad. I would like to see his become policy - or at least an unwritten policy.

Another site I have used, Audiogon, went to a system in which buy offers went through the site and the seller could accept, decline or accept with conditions/make a counter offer. The goal of this, I think, was to prevent scammers from making multiple sales from a single item listing. Of course audiogon also went to a commission base as they ratcheted up their security for sales. The flaw with their system was, that if a seller accepted and the buyer backed out or just didn't proceed, the seller was sort of screwed waiting days for the offer and acceptance to clear.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:46 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #10 · Suspect Seller What is the etiquette?

Add on to my post above. One thing I don't like about the practices on this site is the immediate move to communicate via PM. I understand the purpose of doing this, but I think when an offer has been made, the offer has been accepted (with a denotation on "if payment received by") or a pending sale status achieved- these should be posted directly on the ad. I would like to see his become policy - or at least an unwritten policy.

Another site I have used, Audiogon, went to a system in which buy offers went through the site and the seller could accept, decline or accept with conditions/make a counter offer. The goal of this, I think, was to prevent scammers from making multiple sales from a single item listing. Of course audiogon also went to a commission base as they ratcheted up their security for sales. The flaw with their system was, that if a seller accepted and the buyer backed out or just didn't proceed, the seller was sort of screwed waiting days for the offer and acceptance to clear.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password