Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

Ok, got my A7R a few weeks back and my my Metabone's adapter just arrived yesterday. I originally was going to resist using my larger Canon glass on it but I guess resistance is futile. So now I'm wondering which glass is the best adapted. The first two lenses I tried where my EF 100mm f/2.8 IS and a friends EF 24mm f/2.8 IS. Both the size of these plus the adapter are not overwhelming and the 100mm was really great but if I end up using adapted lenses I want the best quality and I know from trying my M-mount lenses they will not all work well.

So I'm looking to find out what experience others have had with adapting Canon. There's lots out there on adapting M mount lenses since the Leica crowd appears to me searching for a high resolution alternative at a third the cost but I've had limited success there. Please share your experiences. thanks in advance.

Feb 27, 2014 at 07:53 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

The situation with M lenses is VERY different from SLR mount lenses.

Most M lenses 35mm and wider will have challenges due to projection angles on the sensor interacting with the sensor toppings (smearing) or the microlenses (colour shift).

No SLR lens will have these issues, as they are inherently more telecentric. The only real issue you may run across is internal reflection issues, but that will be a long-known issue as it would affect any digital sensor.

The main issue you will encounter with the A7r and Canon lenses is lenses that are not up to the resolution of the sensor.

Feb 27, 2014 at 09:48 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

Mawz,

Ok, so which Canon lenses are up to goal of taking advantage of the A7R sensor. If Canon had one which lenses would they have to upgrade and revise to take advantage of it and which would be great candidates to own?

Edited on Feb 27, 2014 at 01:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

There's a 110 page thread in the Canon section devoted to Canon glass with the A7

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

You can start with your Zeiss ZE 21 f/2.8, Canon 24 f/3.5L TSE MKII, and Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro those will all be excellent on the A7r. You also have the Sony/Zeiss FE 55 f/1.8 which will be stellar. If you adde the Sony/Zeiss FE 35 f/2.8 then I think you would have all your bases covered, but then again you have the Fuji EX-2 with the 23 f/1.4 which might be a better option. Basically you got a lot of excellent gear and you should decide how you want to use it. You could just keep the A7r for a landscape camera, use the Fuji for a travel camera, and use the Canon 5D MKIII for shooting longer telephoto stuff. I think you will figure it out, but it may be that you have so many options finding the optimal one may be hard.

P.S. - Your Zeiss ZM 85 f/4 should work well on the A7r as well. The ZM 50 works well too, but with the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8 you might not have much use for it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

Steve Spencer wrote:
You can start with your Zeiss ZE 21 f/2.8, Canon 24 f/3.5L TSE MKII, and Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro those will all be excellent on the A7r. You also have the Sony/Zeiss FE 55 f/1.8 which will be stellar. If you adde the Sony/Zeiss FE 35 f/2.8 then I think you would have all your bases covered, but then again you have the Fuji EX-2 with the 23 f/1.4 which might be a better option. Basically you got a lot of excellent gear and you should decide how you want to use it. You could just keep the A7r
...Show more

Steve, yes, that is kind of where I've been heading. My original plan for Canon was always to make it my full range, soup to nuts system. Then Fuji interested me for light gear for travel and that's work out great. The A7R has been a little diversion and I wouldn't have gotten it if it were not for a trade some one propose. I traded out my older, less used Fuji gear for the body, and started down the rabbit hole. Now its appears to be a great landscape addition to my Canon gear and the very nice ZE 21mm and TS-E 24mm and ZE 100. Basically anything I would do with manual focus. Of course the Metabone's adapter, the RRS base plate, and the additional L bracket for the adapter added almost $550 to make it all work on a tripod with Canon glass. If Sony/Zeiss can come out with a really nice native 21mm or some other high quality UWA prime then I could claw back that expense plus the ZE 21.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Feb 27, 2014 at 01:10 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

ryankarr wrote:
There's a 110 page thread in the Canon section devoted to Canon glass with the A7

Didn't think to look for it in Canon. Looked for in in this alternative section. I'll go hunt it down.

Feb 27, 2014 at 01:12 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Canon glass works well on Sony A7R with Metabone's adapter?

swldstn wrote:
Steve, yes, that is kind of where I've been heading. My original plan for Canon was always to make it my full range, soup to nuts system. Then Fuji interested me for light gear for travel and that's work out great. The A7R has been a little diversion and I wouldn't have gotten it if it were not for a trade some one propose. I traded out my older, less used Fuji gear for the body, and started down the rabbit hole. Now its appears to be a great landscape addition to my Canon gear and the very nice ZE
...Show more

Later this year Zeiss (on their own not with Sony) will be revealing 5 manual focus primes for the Sony E mount. They very well might include the native 21mm that you are hoping for as well as several other nice lenses.

Feb 27, 2014 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.