Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · South Western PA - tell me your secret :)

thomashammer78
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · South Western PA - tell me your secret :)

I was wondering if I am the only one living in south western PA, and if I am I guess I need to get out more and find spots...

I was hoping that I wasnt the only one living here and that someone would want to share or maybe even go on a "trip" together and find some great wild life spots, because I just cant seem to find anything but damn deer and cardinals

Feb 27, 2014 at 07:46 AM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · South Western PA - tell me your secret :)

I like the Montour Trail for birds. Lots of spots where woodlands meets grassy fields meets creek, which is great for lots of species. Over by the slag fields near Imperial there are usually turkey, coyotes (highly elusive), and at this time of year short-eared owls. Also beaver in the creek where it flows widely and quietly through that shopping area in Robinson Township (Montour Run). Kingfishers love the creek and can be found all over. Raccoon Creek State Park is also good for beavers, all kinds of birds (lots of woodpeckers). Small mammals like mink, raccoon, fox, and fox squirrels too. Basically, the trick is to get to know some of these places really well. Best to arrive before sunrise and spend an hour or two quietly exploring an area. I don't get out to Western PA much anymore, but pick any wetland that's close to you - parks or brownfields along the rivers are great too! - and start to explore.

Probably the best person to ask about birds and wildlife in the Pittsburgh area is Bob Mulvihill. Drop him a note. He leads bird walks, owl banding trips, etc. and knows the area much better than I do. He'll point you in the right direction.
https://www.facebook.com/robert.s.mulvihill?fref=ts

Feb 27, 2014 at 08:50 AM
thomashammer78
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · South Western PA - tell me your secret :)

Thanks, I was going to try Cross Creek County Park here in the weekend coming up.
Which is a smaller park closer to home

ill hit Bob up though... Thanks

Feb 27, 2014 at 09:10 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.