Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Weird or Wonderful?

Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Weird or Wonderful?

... Had Rembrandt or Monet been afforded the benefits offered by the more technologically advanced mediums that exist to date … would their work show the quality inprovement one would expect from those advancements? …

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:28 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Weird or Wonderful?

Jefferson

Thanks for your post. Thoughtful.

Work might have looked different.

Manet/Monet, who married his fathers mistress? Rembrandt? Now, associated with teeth bleach.

It's a fifty-something, nothing more/less.

Now, I think I'm weird!! Most of the posters in this thread already knew that tidbit.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:24 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Weird or Wonderful?

Jefferson wrote:
... Had Rembrandt or Monet been afforded the benefits offered by the more technologically advanced mediums that exist to date … would their work show the quality inprovement one would expect from those advancements? …

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:14 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Weird or Wonderful?

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Weird or Wonderful?

That's got to be the dumbest analogy (if it can be called that) I have ever read or heard. And to actually applaud this mindless thinking burningheart? Ridiculous.

Technology has DETRACTED from art, not added to it. And to think that we can even equate any art created today to the masters is even more ridiculous.

Comical nonsense this thread has become.

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:31 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Weird or Wonderful?

Sarsfield wrote:
That's got to be the dumbest analogy (if it can be called that) I have ever read or heard. And to actually applaud this mindless thinking burningheart? Ridiculous.

Technology has DETRACTED from art, not added to it. And to think that we can even equate any art created today to the masters is even more ridiculous.

Comical nonsense this thread has become.

You know you should pause for a moment before calling someone mindless and their response ridiculous. Reread his statement pause for a moment and ponder what he is saying. From what I see in your response you start your 2nd line of comment

"Technology has DETRACTED from art, not added to it"

That is what I am applauding about his comment, he is asking a question that people can ponder on and your response is what I see in his.

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Weird or Wonderful?

@ Sarsfield …
From your user profile …

… “Myopic Misanthrope” …

Myopic - lacking foresight or scope; "a short view of the problem"; ...

Misanthrope. One who hates or mistrusts humankind. [French, from Greek mīsanthrōpos, hating mankind : mīso-, miso- + anthrōpos, man.] ...

also in the profile “lots of unused lenses and miscellaneous camera crap.”

… That explains much ….

Your welcome to your say …. Opinions are like assholes … everybody has one …

Don’t want to play civil … ?

Jefferson

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:03 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Weird or Wonderful?

If we go back to Tom's purchase the Otus 55 I will agree he is going to technically get better pictures because it is technically a better designed lens than many of the other 50ish range lenses.

Does that guarantee that he will get the better pictures because it is better hardware. In my opinion No.

Why, one must look artistically what one wants to accomplish in their final image. Here are some extreme examples:

The Otis is superior to the Canon 50 1.0L. But what if the vision of the photographer requires to shoot at 1.0?

How is the Otis in Infrared photography? Has it been tested? Does it hotspot? I don't have one to test but from the other 50ish I have tested the best ones are Zeiss 50 F1.4 IR (special coatings by Zeiss), Canon 50 1.8, Canon 50 1.0L and the Coastal Optics 60mm. None of those hotspot and I have tested them all the way upto and including wavelengths of 1000nm. But I do know Zeiss ZE/ZF lenses do hot spot unless they have the special coating even the regular Zeiss 50 F1.4.

How is the Otis in Ultraviolet photography? Most modern lenses are coated to cut off UV wavelengths. An excellent UV lens is a Nikon Series E 50mm. That is an older lens with a single coating, considered a low end consumer lens from the early 1980s but it can do UV. The Coastal Optics 60mm also does UV.

How is the Otis in color. From what we read and see it is the best of the 50ish lenses but is it APO designated? The Coastal Optics 60mm has been measured as one of the best APO lenses that is corrected for all UV, color and IR wavelengths (300-1100nm). Since it is color corrected it should be better hardware than the Otis but the Coastal Optics wide open is limited to F4 but it does go to F45.

How is the Otis as a Tilt Shift lens. It doesn't have those capabilities. You could get a Schneider 50mm Tilt-Shift but in one of the reviews I read it has issues with CA.

How is the Otis in fast moving action wide open. No AF you have to be able to really good at manual focusing.

I have used very extreme examples but it all comes back to what is the photographer trying to accomplish in their artist vision. That determines what equipment works best in that situation and from a technical perspective that does not mean the better hardware is always the best choice.

I will agree the Otis from the sample shots I have seen and reviews I have read it is the best technically 50ish lens and hardware going but better hardware does not necessarily make pictures better. Knowing the capabilities of your hardware and where it is strong and where it is not and what you want to accomplish artistically makes the better picture.

Anyways Tom I am envious of you. Look forward to seeing your shots.

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:36 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Weird or Wonderful?

no its the Talent..if one cant take a great picture with a 100.00 lens how could one take a better picture with a 4000.00 lens and the 6000.00 body behind it.

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:49 AM
artd
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Weird or Wonderful?

Sarsfield wrote:

Much to the contrary. Technology is the very vehicle by which art evolves. If it wasn't for technology we would have no art beyond performing arts (singing, dancing, stage acting, oral storytelling, etc.)

Technology, at its very essence, is the development of tools and instruments to achieve outcomes which would otherwise not be possible. Humans have been implementing and improving technology since they first figured out how to manipulate sticks and stones. Every instrument used in art is a product of the human capacity to create and apply technology. A paint brush, a chisel, a camera, a computer…these are all technological artifacts. Certain types of technology are more valuable to certain types of art. But absent a specific contextual framework, one cannot make a sensible argument that a certain type of technology was great for art and another detracted from art, because such an argument is nothing more than an expression of inherent personal preference for one type of art or another. It’s like making the argument “red is a better color than blue because I like it more.”

Moreover, to say that art made with modern tools is somehow inherently less creative or masterful simply because it was not created with older technology is not just an insult to the great artists alive today. It is an insult to very principles of creativity and discovery that underpin art and why it is valuable to us at all.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vancouver47
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Weird or Wonderful?

Tom Dix wrote:
I just pulled the trigger on the $4k Otus 55 1.4 for Canon.
However, I still believe that the $2K ish price for the 24/70 2.8 is too high
Weird or Wonderful? Be honest, I can take it.

-Tom

Congratulations, you will love it. I have to admit my 24-70II hasn't even been in my camera bag since I got the Otus. The Otus 55 is so uniquely distinctive that I find I often identify photos taken with it before I see the exifs.

Is the 24-70II worth $2k? Absolutely! I can't imagine photographing a people event without it in the bag.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Weird or Wonderful?

I just received an email from B&H. The lens was shipped today. Hopefully have it soon!

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:26 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Weird or Wonderful?

Nothing worse than the anticipation of the big purchase, then something about it you just can't handle. Soooo, hoping it's everything you hoped it would be. Congrats on your purchase.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:53 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Weird or Wonderful?

Thank you Kathy, like your new moniker!

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:40 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Weird or Wonderful?

Thank you. Fred is still working on some kinks in it. I am hoping you post some pics. This lens you are getting is somewhat of a mystery to me. I'd love to see some results from it.

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:46 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Weird or Wonderful?

I received the lens on Tuesday, took it out of the box and slapped it on the 5D3. It is amazing in so many ways. IQ, build quality, color, micro contrast, etc. I could go on, but will stop here. It's wonderful and amazing, yet, not for me I have just listed on B&S. It's a wow lens. I've shot dozens of 50s and 50 somethings. This is the best. Young Tom would have kept and loved this lens,using it on many assignments. The more mature Tom, as I refer to myself, benefits from af. I bought it go use it every, or, or nearly every day.

I'm saddened, yet, realistic.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:14 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Weird or Wonderful?

Tom Dix wrote:
I received the lens on Tuesday, took it out of the box and slapped it on the 5D3. It is amazing in so many ways. IQ, build quality, color, micro contrast, etc. I could go on, but will stop here. It's wonderful and amazing, yet, not for me I have just listed on B&S. It's a wow lens. I've shot dozens of 50s and 50 somethings. This is the best. Young Tom would have kept and loved this lens,using it on many assignments. The more mature Tom, as I refer to myself, benefits from af. I bought it go
...Show more

I stay away from MF for exactly the same reason. When young and before AF, ssshhh, am I telling my age
I thought nothing of it. Now I I depend on the AF. Are you not able to return it so that you don't take a loss?

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:32 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Weird or Wonderful?

Tom Dix wrote:
I received the lens on Tuesday, took it out of the box and slapped it on the 5D3. It is amazing in so many ways. IQ, build quality, color, micro contrast, etc. I could go on, but will stop here. It's wonderful and amazing, yet, not for me I have just listed on B&S. It's a wow lens. I've shot dozens of 50s and 50 somethings. This is the best. Young Tom would have kept and loved this lens,using it on many assignments. The more mature Tom, as I refer to myself, benefits from af. I bought it go
...Show more

That's too bad Tom, but at least you can say you have used one, and hopefully it sells quickly for you.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:47 AM
coogee

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Weird or Wonderful?

I'm confused! You bought a $4K MF lens and decided after a couple of days that you can't use MF lenses and so you are selling it? Or is it that /this particular/ MF lens has left you 'sad but realistic'?

Without meaning to be disrespectful, how do you tell the AF has focused an image, or do you rely on beeps/dots in camera, and does this lens not communicate those things?

Just curious, your first post did say something about weird and wonderful.

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:46 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Weird or Wonderful?

Tom, I can only assume that you were on the edge of thinking that you could get by with MF. Tough position to be in when something offers that kind of IQ. So tempting. A shame it did not work out.

I'm fortunate enough to know outright that MF is not for me. The only MF lens I would be interested in is the 24TSE for the tilt/shift and subjects that don't move. I have no illusions about my manual focus skills for general use. My AF crutch is here to stay.

Mar 13, 2014 at 01:41 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password