Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

KVC130 wrote:
Sal nailed it right on the head - mirrorless makes photography fun again. More and more, carrying the DSLR became a chore rather than a joy. KC

Same for me.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM
darrellc
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

Had 5D2, wanted a smaller camera like my old Nikon FE or Yashica T4 Super in film days, tried a GF1 w/ 20/1.7 and got hooked. Sold 5D2 after getting EM5 and good native m4/3 glass and then never using 5D2. Got back into FF with RX1 and added a D800. Awesome camera but for me... too big (volume more a problem than weight with two young kids always in tow - always in the way, whacking the kids in the head with massive 24-120 zoom with annoying lens creep), inaccurate AF (for relatively static subjects w/o bunch of annoying microadjustments, missed Oly eye detect), missed EVF benefits, useful liveview implementation and tilting screen. Recently added an A7 and sold the D800.

If mirrorless can solve AF tracking (Nikon V1 is my wife's camera, does a great job - hello Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji!) then I personally see no reason to ever get a dSLR. Wouldn't miss a thing. I'm happy with the lens options that Fuji, m4/3 have (Sony too if they add an FE 85 prime and wide angle zoom or prime in 21-24 range). Wish Olympus would do a FF EM-1. Love everything about that camera, but miss the A7 and esp. RX1 IQ with it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

The A7R is my main landscape camera now. (From 5D Mark III)

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:55 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

I sold all my Canon gear and Zeiss lenses for Fuji X. Weight/bulk and inflation in price with high-end Canon gear was why I left. The X-E2 and 14/2.8 gets me very close to what 6D an 21ZE did before. The other lenses are also really good and as good or better than Canon/Zeiss. Before I dived in I got cameras and lenses from my friends to test. At first I wasn't convinced, my major issue was AF performance but Fuji has improved AF greatly since my first test and I feel the X-E2 is actually quite fast. I've now had the Fuji system for about month and have no regrets.

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:31 AM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

I pretty much have. We still have a Canon 40D around & some tele lenses for back yard birding. But my main system is now a Fuji X system. Nearly a year now since I sold my 5DII and all of my heavy L glass that was my daily kit.

My daily kit now consists of a body, 18-55, 55-200, 14mm lenses, Canon 500D close up lens & a few adapter rings, Nikon sb 26 flash, a few spare batteries, a charger, release & a polarizer. It all fits in a small messenger bag. If I really want to go light I leave the flash out and carry small fuji unit. I have found I do not miss anything about the larger camera kits. The IQ and auto focus are more than good enough for my requirements.

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:52 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

I've recently joined this cause, sold my 5D MkII + lenses and with the money I've bought a Fuji X-Pro1 + Fujinon 35/1.4.
And still had spare money to buy the excellent Fujinon 18-55mm zoom (the only zoom I find as fun to use as a prime) and othe stuff like a Minolta MC Rokkor 55/1.7 for bokeh shots, a Kipon Tilt-Shift OM-FujiX adapter to use with my Zuikos 18mm and 24mm and a Sigma DP2 Merrill (couldn't resist with the recent price drop).

I find this setup much more fun to use without much compromise in terms of quality, I can make street photography and landscapes with the same camera.

Regarding the supposed downgrade on resolution, this problem is adressed with the Kipon TS adapter, I can make a sequence of perfectly aligned shots to stitch resulting in a 35 mp image.
I can also use the Sigma DP2 Merrill to get that almost medium format quality.

So in the end, I think I've ended up with a much better set of equipment with this switch.

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:23 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

I am a wedding and portrait photographer and shot Nikon FX and DX. Had tons of lenses and multiple cameras. Loved Nikon for many years. When the Fuji XE2 came out, it got me more interested in Fuji. Then they announced the XT1 and some new lenses coming down the pipe. I got a neck injury and just cant lug all the gear around anymore. But I can't quit and some people suggested to bring less gear but I need to bring everything I bring because I need it to do my job. So I looked at other ways and felt Fuji fit my bill the best.

That was the main reason for the switch. There are a lot of others and one being the skin tones and the files that Fuji produces are just amazing. I love my decision and havent looked back since. My clients don't care what I shoot with, they just want awesome photos and thats what we give them.

Feb 28, 2014 at 08:17 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Anyone left Nikon/Canon for mirrorless?

gnbuzz wrote:
Had anyone gone from Nikon/Canon and gone all in with mirrorless? If so, what are hype pluses and minuses of your experience so far?

Thanks,
Glenn

Pros:

Way less bulk
Stabilization with any lens (I shoot E-M1)
Tilt rear LCD
EVF
Excellent IQ with the right lenses
Very good Jpegs (I've never liked Canon or Nikon Jpegs)

Cons:

DSLR handling still tops, IMO
AF-C tracking sucks
A bit of an IQ hit
Most accessories are for Canikon

Do I miss my DSLR setup? Nope. Were I a professional photographer, frankly I'd still shoot Canikon because outright performance would trump any weight issues. But it would be for work and the shooting wouldn't be fun (I've never found it fun). After getting great results for mirrorless, I never shot DSLR for fun because it's so damn heavy and bulky compared to a much smaller and almost-as-capable setup.

Feb 28, 2014 at 08:44 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.