New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Triple Orchids in B & W

I found these three Phalaenopsis Orchids all lined up in a row to be a very interesting shot. I hope you like it, too!

Here is the color version: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1276697

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:58 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Triple Orchids in B & W

wellll... the top flower is beautifully processed with nice contrast and detail.
while the top portion of the second and third one seem to have lost some of this; maybe the lighting.
the composition seems a bit too tight for my eyes.
BUT I'm glad you have returned (for how long?) to a beautiful, rich black background!
regards, tom

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Thanks for the comment, Tom! The three flowers lined up on the stalk just like this and it took me only one exposure to get the whole thing exactly as I wanted it. The top parts of the two bottom flowers were in the shadow of the previous flower. Nothing much to be done about that without making it all look very flat. I also intended for the composition to be long and thin just to emphasize the remarkable structural similarity of the three flowers.

As to the black background shots, I have done every flower I can find with a black background so unless something unusual (such as this) presents itself, I am more likely to be doing them with white backgrounds for the foreseeable future. Sorry.

All best wishes,

Endre

tomandmarj wrote:
wellll... the top flower is beautifully processed with nice contrast and detail.
while the top portion of the second and third one seem to have lost some of this; maybe the lighting.
the composition seems a bit too tight for my eyes.
BUT I'm glad you have returned (for how long?) to a beautiful, rich black background!
regards, tom

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:53 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Triple Orchids in B & W

never be sorry for your beautiful images.
we have a different world vision; if we all saw the same it would be a pretty dull world!!
I prefer Manet over Monet - just how I wee the world of brush strokes.
very best regards, tom

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:40 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Strad, your b/w images are very powerful! You have brought a new photographic dimension to flower photography. You do it as well as I have ever seen!!
As Tom sez, NEVER be sorry for your interpretation of your photographic vision.....it is not always black and white...sorry for the pun!

I love your b/w posts.
Dan

PS. If the detail and sharpness care to be enhanced, I believe there is a non destructive way to do it in Nik Viveza2 without making the entire image flat.
Just FYI...The image looks very fine to me as is.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Gosh, Tom! I'm not apologizing for the image but rather since I know you prefer the black BG ones, that some will be inherently at a disadvantage for you every time I post one with a white BG.Personally, I prefer Monet over Manet so, indeed, we have different visions of the world.

All best wishes,

Endre

tomandmarj wrote:
never be sorry for your beautiful images.
we have a different world vision; if we all saw the same it would be a pretty dull world!!
I prefer Manet over Monet - just how I wee the world of brush strokes.
very best regards, tom

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:16 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Wow, Dan! You are way too kind in your praise. I really appreciate all your very kind words and am so glad you like my work so much.

As I explained to Tom, I was only sorry that since I have embarked on a new project of flower photos with white backgrounds, that all my forthcoming flower photos may start out with an inherent disadvantage for him.

I have Nik Viveza and occasionally use it but since I shoot all flower photos at f 16 to f 22 everything is in sharp focus and I don't think any more sharpness is necessary. We are in agreement anyhow but thanks for the tip, regardless.

All best wishes,

Endre

Danpbphoto wrote:
Strad, your b/w images are very powerful! You have brought a new photographic dimension to flower photography. You do it as well as I have ever seen!!
As Tom sez, NEVER be sorry for your interpretation of your photographic vision.....it is not always black and white...sorry for the pun!

I love your b/w posts.
Dan

PS. If the detail and sharpness care to be enhanced, I believe there is a non destructive way to do it in Nik Viveza2 without making the entire image flat.
Just FYI...The image looks very fine to me as is.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Strad wrote:
Wow, Dan! You are way too kind in your praise. I really appreciate all your very kind words and am so glad you like my work so much.

As I explained to Tom, I was only sorry that since I have embarked on a new project of flower photos with white backgrounds, that all my forthcoming flower photos may start out with an inherent disadvantage for him.

I have Nik Viveza and occasionally use it but since I shoot all flower photos at f 16 to f 22 everything is in sharp focus and I don't think any
...Show more

Feb 27, 2014 at 04:27 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Endre,
I ain't sorry 'bout nuttin'!
A really fine image.
A bit too tight around the edges for me, but since you did it that way on purpose- your vote outweighs mine .
Charlie

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Thanks, again, Dan! That was my earlier point regarding the slightly "missing" sharpness in the shadows. Had I taken one flower and cut and pasted it one on top of the other three times, that shadow wouldn't exist. I think (and since you also shoot orchids, I know you agree) that slight loss of detail adds to the realism of the photo.

You really are way too kind in your praise but I also really appreciate it!

All best wishes,

Endre

Danpbphoto wrote:
Endre...I was not really talking about sharpness...your images are ALL tack sharp. I was more mentioning lower petal detail aka structure in V2. But I also photograph orchids and the shadows from the topmost petals will negate some detail in the petal veining.

Yes aperature is perfect....

Every time you post an image, it is a disadvantage for some viewer.
Keep up the great work!
Dan

Feb 27, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Triple Orchids in B & W

You are right about that, Charlie! It's MY photo and I'll do it however I please. That said, I anticipated the possibility of that objection, which is why I also added the framing the way I did. So there.

Seriously, thanks for the kind comment. I'm always happy when you like an image of mine.

All the best,

Endre

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Endre,
I ain't sorry 'bout nuttin'!
A really fine image.
A bit too tight around the edges for me, but since you did it that way on purpose- your vote outweighs mine .
Charlie

Feb 27, 2014 at 07:06 PM
plsand
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Hi -
You know me -
I like the shadows as presented -
I like the black backgrounds the best - (mostly)
Theses are great (as usual) -
Paul

Mar 01, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Beautifully/artfully presented Endre

Ted

Mar 02, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Thank you, Paul, my long lost friend! I'm delighted to hear from you and am so glad this photo provided the impetus for you to post to me.

How are you doing? We somehow lost touch. I hope all is well.

All best wishes,

Endre

plsand wrote:
Hi -
You know me -
I like the shadows as presented -
I like the black backgrounds the best - (mostly)
Theses are great (as usual) -
Paul

Mar 02, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Triple Orchids in B & W

Thank you, Ted! I'm so happy that you liek this.

All the best,

Endre

Ted ellis wrote:
Beautifully/artfully presented Endre

Ted

Mar 02, 2014 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.