Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

I'm on a Facebook group dedicated to HS Senior Portrait shooters, and it kills me seeing all these gorgeous pics of these kids already in shorts, laying in the grass, pretending it's summer. Even Lisa's latest pic of Gabriel has him surrounded by green foliage in the AZ desert.

Yesterday, I had a HS senior portrait shoot taking place in the snow and cold in the NW suburbs of Chicago. It's 15 degrees outside, wind chill of around 0 degrees. I told my senior boy to hang tight while I changed lenses. Bag was in my car cuz it was so freaking cold.

I come back, and here' my senior boy. It was tough explaining this to his parents.

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #2 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

Thanks for the background story on the setup for the shot. He looks like he would light right up.

In seriousness, I enjoy the shot, I like the light through frosty and how the flag seems to fly from his head.

*edit* FWIW, come on down to Texas in August/September when it's been > 100F for over a month and enjoy a nice stroll in your shorts.

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

That is too funny.

Sorry, but I am enjoying the beautiful sunny San Diego. I grew up in Kentucky with the full 4 seasons and don't miss the snow or high humidity.

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #4 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

Bahahaha!!!

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:51 PM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

Funny post, Ron. Sorry you're still cold there. I guess you don't want to know about the warm winter and early spring here, eh?

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:11 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

The real backstory is that I grew up in California, and spent a significant part of my adult life in Phoenix, and my extended family lives in moderate weather in the high-desert plateau area in NW New Mexico, just beyond the Rocky Mountains.

I've been in snow plenty of my life. But I've never been in frigid cold like this. Every winter, I talk about how my being here is testament to my love for my wife, who grew up here and wanted to raise our family here (she moved to Phoenix with me and didn't tell me when we got together!).

Squirrely Eyed, the back lighting is what attracted me to this shot. I just thought it looked so cool. I wait for some better light as the sun went down, but then it went behind a tree and put a shadow on Frosty. Still, I think it works as the shadow gives it some dimension.

And by the way, not that long ago, I worked at the Art Institute of Austin. We loved your little city.

Wildcats_fan, wish we could be there with you in SD. One of my favorite places in the USA!

Lisa, exactly. :-)

Jim, no... don't tell me about it. Definitely need to get back to Bavaria now that my kids are getting old enough to travel. I have a friend who does a tour business for Americans who travel to Europe, and he always trying to get me to come out with him to take some pictures. Someday...

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM
rexmills

p.1 #7 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

Great shot

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
tembody

p.1 #8 · HS Senior pic in the snow/cold... turns bad

Very good

Mar 14, 2014 at 03:10 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell