Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

Photog-D.Frost

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

I was looking at a 4K display but still too costly, getting a new 15" Apple MacBook Pro and wanted to use a 30" Dell Ultrasharp display, anyone use an Apple computer w/Dell display that has any feedback?

Thank you

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

I use a Mac mini with a Dell 2209WA. Works perfectly, if that any use to you

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

ditto on the 2209WA. for the 30", make sure you understand what connections need to happen between it and the MBP. In the old days, 30" required Dual DVI but I'm assuming that DisplayPort or whatever handles that now

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

You'll need a mini display to dual link DVI adapter. Monoprice has them at an excellent price, the apple branded one is around $100

Feb 27, 2014 at 04:28 AM
graeme

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

Photog-D.Frost wrote:
I was looking at a 4K display but still too costly, getting a new 15" Apple MacBook Pro and wanted to use a 30" Dell Ultrasharp display, anyone use an Apple computer w/Dell display that has any feedback?

Thank you

I was considering the same, but decided the resolution of the 30" wasn't high enough (now the new Ultra Sharp 32" is a different story) so I went with a pair of the 24" Dell IPS displays (U2412) as it got me more pixels (and applications like Aperture work nicely with a pair of monitors). With my MBP/Retina I connected one via the Thunderbolt/display port and the other via the HDMI.

Feb 28, 2014 at 02:27 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

Ran a Dell 24" (can't remember model #) with an earlier Mac Pro. Worked perfect. The only issue you're likely to encounter is making sure the Dell connector and whatever version of Mac you have share the same connector. Apple keeps changing its video ports so make sure they are compatible. If they are different, I think there is an adaptor available for every permutation possible. Check the specs on both devices.

Haven't run a Dell in a while but liked my older one.

Robert

Feb 28, 2014 at 03:42 PM
graeme

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

OntheRez wrote:
Ran a Dell 24" (can't remember model #) with an earlier Mac Pro. Worked perfect. The only issue you're likely to encounter is making sure the Dell connector and whatever version of Mac you have share the same connector. Apple keeps changing its video ports so make sure they are compatible. If they are different, I think there is an adaptor available for every permutation possible. Check the specs on both devices.

Haven't run a Dell in a while but liked my older one.

Robert

That used to be an issue but I don't think it is anymore -- all Dell monitors that I have seen now have a Display Port which can be plugged into the Thunderbolt port on a Mac -- I'm typing this on an MBP with exactly that set up.

But, the Dell monitors that I have received recently don't have the cable (I got it from a Matrox DualHead2Go box I used to use on an older MBP).

I haven't had a bad Dell Monitor -- as long as you get one of the UltraSharp IPS ones...

Graeme

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nvrupnvrin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

Mac Book Pro with a Dell 24"

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:32 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

My experiences with a MAC Mini (circa a year or two ago's model) and Dell UP2414Q UHD monitor:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1277436

(short version: I got my 2012 Mac Mini to drive UHD perfectly and with OS scaling, only at 30Hz though, and only by NOT installing Mavericks)

Edited on Mar 08, 2014 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2014 at 11:41 PM
dragon_eye

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

Mac Pro (2012) with Dell U2711. No complains!

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

dragon_eye wrote:
Mac Pro (2012) with Dell U2711. No complains!

I run the same setup with a 2009 Mac Pro. My wife also runs a 24" Dell display as a second on her 27" iMac. Works great.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:59 PM
graeme

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

Posted on another thread about this, but I just got the Dell UP2414Q monitor (4k 24") -- works with MBP/Retina via thunderbolt->display port and HDMI. Resolution detected correctly. but no scaling (unlike the laptop's retina display). Update coming in 10.9.3 to address external 4K monitor scaling apparently.

Great monitor though. A pair of those would be a good bit less than the 32" Dell UHD display and you could drive both with MBP.

Graeme

Photog-D.Frost wrote:

Thank you

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:23 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does Anyone Use Apple Computer w/Dell Display?

graeme wrote:
Posted on another thread about this, but I just got the Dell UP2414Q monitor (4k 24") -- works with MBP/Retina via thunderbolt->display port and HDMI. Resolution detected correctly. but no scaling (unlike the laptop's retina display). Update coming in 10.9.3 to address external 4K monitor scaling apparently.

Great monitor though. A pair of those would be a good bit less than the 32" Dell UHD display and you could drive both with MBP.

Graeme

You can scaling in the meantime before 10.9.3 if you follow the later steps in my post about getting mac mini to work with UP2414Q. Have to use SwitchResX to create a custom 51260x2160 mode and in the end you'll find a 1920x1080 HiDPI mode in SwitchResX and pick that (don't worry, it's 5120x2160 not 1920x1080, but it makes the text and icons the same physical size as if it was a 1920x1080 screen).

Mar 17, 2014 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password