Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Smart Albums on the podcast

CareyNash
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smart Albums on the podcast

Kelly and I had Daniel Usenko on our latest podcast.

Smart Albums Podcast with Danile Usenko

If you have never heard of this software it's certainly worth checking out. I bought it while it was still in Beta and I have to say that it's been pretty awesome. I can make a quick and easy album in about 20 minutes and that's much faster than when I use to do them.

Sure, there are things I think I'd like in it, and I know everyone has a few things they'd like to see to match their designing but it's nearly impossible to make something easy and right for everyone. With that being said , this is a great compliment to such software as indesign.

Check out the interview with Daniel and watch their promo and decide for yourself.

Here are a few spreads I put together for my own studio album using Smart Album. They have set templates and these pages (although not elaborate) were put together in literally less than a minute each.

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smart Albums on the podcast

nice spread. ... just wish there would be a PC offering.

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:40 AM
a2rob
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smart Albums on the podcast

I agree nice spreads!!

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:14 AM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smart Albums on the podcast

The spreads were so easy. If you have not tried it , all you do is bring in the images you want in the spread and then drag and drop them onto the page. From there you can shuffle through templates until you find one you like and then from there you can re-arrange the images within it. Very simple and fast.

Fundy has also released their new workflow and I'm also very curios to test it out myself and see if I prefer it to this. Should be interesting to see the two compared and how Smart Albums competes with it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:29 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smart Albums on the podcast

I dusted off my '08 MBP just to be able to try it. It's simple yet elegant. I could live with its limitations, hoping they will be expanded in the future.

But I'd rather have PC version ready already.

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:36 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smart Albums on the podcast

Wished there was a PC version too but good thing I found the Fundy Album Builder V6 which works on Mac/PC.

http://www.fundysoftware.com/album-builder/

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Smart Albums on the podcast

joosay wrote:
Wished there was a PC version too but good thing I found the Fundy Album Builder V6 which works on Mac/PC.

http://www.fundysoftware.com/album-builder/

Have you tried the fundy verion? It looks pretty great as well and I like how it keeps the modifying functions within the software where as SA will have to export pages out to indesign to customize. It's hard to be perfect for all and the fact that it only Mac for now is I'm sure something that they will change in the near future. They are only a few months old.

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:01 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Smart Albums on the podcast

Yeah, I've tried it on one album so far so not a whole lot of experience with it until wedding season kicks into full gear. Album Builder V6 is also a new release but according to Andrew Funderberg they will have a 6 week update cycle as seen here: http://www.fundysoftware.com/roadmap/

One of the concerns about these dynamic drag and drop album templates are image swapping a specific image without redoing the layout in the dropzone. Here is Funderberg's response to that:
So, currently just a two step process. Drag the new image to the drop zone in question, then click on the un-needed image and hit the delete key. We are going to add a drag and hover over and image to swap it out feature coming April 1. I believe. Now why would this be different than other programs? Because they are based on templates and designs are static, as
...Show more

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:09 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Smart Albums on the podcast

I have SA and think it is great, and while I have not used Fundy and cannot directly compare...I wish I would have waited and got Fundy. It looks superior from the outside. Granted, I do have faith that Daniel and the other SA devs will continue to add features. But, the ability to directly edit spreads and layout from within the program is a huge advantage of Fundy...

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:57 PM
ryansandsphoto

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Smart Albums on the podcast

I've been using Smart Albums since it was released in Beta and I must say it's fantastic. I've designed several boudoir albums and wedding albums using their software and couldn't be happier Huge fan here!

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Smart Albums on the podcast

any feedback/reviews for album fundy album builder 6?

Feb 28, 2014 at 03:45 PM
JanWill

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Smart Albums on the podcast

I have done one album in Fundy version 6 so far. It is a good software, but I wish there would be more cropping option like you could do in Fundy 5 via Camera RAW.
Also I would love to see an option to make the thumbnails bigger. They are a bit small.
It is pretty fast to get a hang of it. I have not tried smart albums so I cannot compare.

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password