New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D800 Sensor Condensation

james.d53
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Sensor Condensation

I just got my D800 body back from Nikon California. Competitive Camera in Dallas sent it in due to sensor condensation. I've never had this before. Has anyone else had this issue?

FYI..... All is good now!

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Sensor Condensation

Define 'Sensor Condensation'.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Sensor Condensation

Do you know what you probably did to cause that? Did you change lenses immediately after you entered a warm place from a very cold weather outside, or something?

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:10 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Sensor Condensation

To cause what?

Don't know if any of us have even heard of this before.

Can you explain further as to what this is?

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:11 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Sensor Condensation

Keith B. wrote:
Define 'Sensor Condensation'.

Moisture forming on the sensor, or evidence of such.

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:13 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Sensor Condensation

Still not a complete explanation.

If you have moisture on the low pass filter, then you clean it. It's your fault.

But, if it somehow was getting between the low pass filter and the actual sensor, then that is different.

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:16 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Sensor Condensation

cambyses wrote:
Do you know what you probably did to cause that? Did you change lenses immediately after you entered a warm place from a very cold weather outside, or something?

The D800 is used for real estate photography mostly. I usually have the 14-24 on it. I don't recall going from hot to cold or vice versa, and changing lenses. I just don't do that in my shoots.

The owner at Competitive Camera in Dallas said that he sees this quite frequently in DSLRs. They cater to professional photographers in Dallas.

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:22 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Sensor Condensation

I doubt it'd matter if you changed lenses - the mirror box isn't airtight, so moisture in the air is still going to be inside the camera body and will condense if you move between extreme temperatures.

If the camera place had to send it in, I'd have to expect the condensation actually got onto the sensor itself, underneath the glass covering it. Anything else would have been easily cleaned off. Weird. Covered under warranty? Did you have any details provided on the work order as to what they did to fix it?

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:29 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Sensor Condensation

> The owner at Competitive Camera in Dallas said that he sees this quite frequently in DSLRs.

Curious that he has seen frequently something most of us have never heard of.

And in CA to boot, not known for either high humidity or large temperature excursions.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Sensor Condensation

Exactly.

And my D800e and D7100 cameras, along with all the others I've owned, have seen severe temperature fluctuations out in the high desert. Down to -14 in some places. Then back in the car, and eventually home. Moose Peterson even has a video on how he takes care of his camera bodies after shooting out at -30 f. and colder in Yellowstone. Maybe it's more the Dallas humidity?

Now if that camera shop is uncomfortable cleaning a sensor, I suppose I can understand that. But this is an oddball.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 Sensor Condensation

I think more people have this on their sensors, but fail to see or realize it.

Condensation spots on a sensor are not the same (usually) as a dust spot.

Condensation usually shows up as a very soft looking doughnut shape and can be see by opening an image shot in Adobe Camera Raw(depending on what RAW converter you use), this is best done with the typical test type image shot against a plain bright background @f/22. Once the image is open, head to the 'sharpen' icon. And whilst holding down the ALT KEY, move 'MASKING' slider to the right.

This will show you the condensation rings/doughnuts which again, will show up as very soft looking rings. In most cases these have no effect on your images. But in some cases depending on a slew of factors like contaminants in the air, light box... They may show up with a greater intensity.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 Sensor Condensation

John, I think this is still missing the crux of the issue:

Is this phenomenon something that is happening on the glass over the sensor (and thus can be cleaned), or is it happening on the sensor itself (thus requiring dis-assembly to repair).

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 Sensor Condensation

The read, as I see it is on the AA or outer shield of the sensor itself. If it was infact condensation UNDER the AA it would clearly be a complete sensor overhaul issue as in when they change a body over to IR or replace the AA (and corresponding seal) that makes up the sensor as a whole.

And yes. I agree with it being on the glass or AA itself. This was the reason I had suggested that many of this have this to some degree, but we don't see it in mild cases. I shoot quite a bit in very cold temps here and have noticed this after a cleaning that these marks reappear by just the temp adjustments between the open air and the heated car. And although I have seen this for over 10 years on sensors, I've only seen it show up on images twice in that time... Again, I chocked it up to some variable being introduced into the condensation itself, and then drying.

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.