Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Who said you can't shoot sports with it?
Went to my son's basketball practice tonight - shot between wide open and F/1.8 - I'd say about 95% hit rate. 5d3 and AI servo mode. It only struggled a bit when he was running fast to the basket (obviously very fast moving action it's not designed for). But overall I'm quite happy.

The lighting in the gym is horrific anyway...

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Nice shots.

It does BIF, too.

1DIV EF 85/1.2L II at f/4, 1/500 sec., ISO 100

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Very nice. Wait, I thought it was only for portraits?

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:10 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Still lusting after this lens for gymnastics. AF speed should be fine for balance beam and floor where they are posing a lot. I check the refurbished site regularly for a sale on one.

This lens gets hammered on AF speed but the 1.2 DOF is what really challenges you. You have no margin of error for AF if you are anywhere close like the baseline/sideline of a basketball game.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:11 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

In the last two weeks I've sold the 24-70 II 2.8 and the 50 1.2, and "upgraded" them with the 24-70 F/4 (for video) and the 85 1.2. Both the stills and handheld video from each have impressed me. I don't know how Canon implemented the "hybrid IS" but it's pretty amazing, and I used to have the 24-105. I don't really see a sharpness difference though, just less range, lighter, quieter and more effective IS.
Anyway, I'm rambling. Please post more "non portrait" 85L shots please!

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:14 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

ggreene wrote:
Still lusting after this lens for gymnastics. AF speed should be fine for balance beam and floor where they are posing a lot. I check the refurbished site regularly for a sale on one.

This lens gets hammered on AF speed but the 1.2 DOF is what really challenges you. You have no margin of error for AF if you are anywhere close like the baseline/sideline of a basketball game.

I agree especially for close ups. But from about 20-30 feet away you surprisingly have some nice DOF to work with and can use it wide open. My keeper rate tonight was better than the last time I went with the 135L, even though the latter focuses faster. Distance from subject is the key though.
I would love to have a 200/2 - now that's some shallow DOF!

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

AF on the EF 85/1.2L II is actually pretty good for tracking action on a 1D-series body (probably 5DIII, too), as long as it's in or nearly in focus at the first frame. If you can get it "locked on" early, it tracks fine, as long as you can keep the camera on target. If you miss initial lock, it sort of swishes around, like a fish out of water, but rotating, not flopping. It's kind of sad, funny, but sad...

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:20 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

It's erratic movement that the 85L has no chance of keeping up with. Predictable motion, e.g. tracking isn't out of the question for that optic.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

I like this one too:

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:27 AM
mrphotographer

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Wow! pretty impressed that you shot sports with that! I limit myself to portraits with this guy.

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:25 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

Shield, is that church in Westerville or Gahanna? I grew up in new Albany and went to school in Gahanna and it looks JUST LIKE a church/school gym I used to play in.

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

It's in Dublin actually - youth "Upwards" basketball...

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:24 PM
BiggHarry
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pretty damn impressed with the 85L II...

sirimiri wrote:
It's erratic movement that the 85L has no chance of keeping up with. Predictable motion, e.g. tracking isn't out of the question for that optic.

+1

I love my 85L and occasionally I'm shooting fast moving grandchildren with it and my success rate is well below 50%, but this does not stop me trying
My effort is usually well rewarded...

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.