Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I had a chuckle at this quote from Bryan "Putting the price into perspective, wildlife photographers often spend two or three times this much for their primary lens. I love wildlife, but will argue that the human subjects this lens will often be used to capture are even more valuable". Yeah, well humans are hardly elusive, shy or fast moving and exist in vast numbers and I don't have to drive for hours to find them. Let's see him use his Otus for wildlife.

and most of the humans I know don't at all want to see every detail in their face! So now you take the sharpest lens you have and soften it for the most pleasing results!

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:37 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Karl Witt wrote:
and most of the humans I know don't at all want to see every detail in their face! So now you take the sharpest lens you have and soften it for the most pleasing results!

That's all part of image processing. Parts of the scenes need to be selectively sharpened and other parts not so much. Nothing new here. But...wouldn't it be great if all lens gave us this choice rather than automatically needing to sharpen the entire image.

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:52 PM
Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Mikael Risedal wrote
and I can tell you that the focus screen (matte screen) or the AF help focus indicator are not good enough to select the plane of sharpness 100% right at F 1,4, it must be done by using live view

Hmmm, I felt that the AF focus indicator did a pretty good job. Maybe because I used a 1D X and center AF point only? Not every photo had the focus plane absolutely perfect, but a reasonable amount (IMO) was pretty darn good.

Anyway, I was also taking some snapshots of my kids @ F1,4, and they really had to keep their heads still, but it could be done.

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

chez wrote:
That's all part of image processing. Parts of the scenes need to be selectively sharpened and other parts not so much. Nothing new here. But...wouldn't it be great if all lens gave us this choice rather than automatically needing to sharpen the entire image.

comment was in good humor.............I certainly realize the benefit of lens of this quality though I find it silly to compare to lenses that cost 1/10th in price

Oh and it looks like the Canon 500 f/4 IS performs better on the resolution charts compared to this lens?

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:01 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Mikael Risedal wrote:
not so sure about that, I have Sigma 35/1,4 and the Otus and the visual vignetting is similar at 1,4

Not that I doubt your experience with either the Otus or 35/1.4A, but I'm referencing Sigma's 50/1.4 .

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

I just pulled the trigger!
Looking forward using this amazing lens.
Hope it lives up to its billing.

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:34 AM
te4o
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

for excellent MF results @ f1.4 - my practice is:
Canon 5D3, Zacuto LCD Viewer, LifeView, Magic Lantern with Focus Square magnification 1:2 or 1:1, high-speed drive to improve chances (beware of minor head movement) Zeiss ZE 1.4 or ZE 100/2 rarely go OOF. 50/2 and 21/2.8 are quite easy.

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:39 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Here is a couple of snapshots I got with the Otus @ f/1.4. Nothing fancy, just to check out the sharpness wide open and the bokeh.

snapshot1

shapshot2

snapshot3

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Robin Smith
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

I just pulled the trigger!

I hope you'll be able to do some "real" photography with it, rather a lot of pointless pixel peeping to check it was worth the $4000!.

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:15 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

I'm holding off until April. I heard a rumor that Zeiss will be running a promotion where you get a free Toyota Camry with every Otus purchase.

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike K
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Mikael Risedal wrote:
The big problem with the Otus is , where to know exactly where to put the plane of sharpness at F 1,4 and with out using live view.
The focus assistance is too blunt and the matte screen to poor

How abut a split focus screen (Ec-B)? If you get a high contrast line passign through the "split" area, the focus accuracy with the Ec-B can be really quite good. There are other choices like the "S" screens which provide more definition of in/out of focus for manual focus shooters, and are well suited for fast lenses. The S screen choice are quicker, but not quite as accurate as the split screen MF. If you are dedicated viewfinder user both of these choices make MF much easier.
Myself I use MF quite a lot, but rather use Live View, and even use an external monitor to make Live View even more precise.
Mike K

Edited on Feb 27, 2014 at 07:39 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:54 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Robin Smith wrote:
I hope you'll be able to do some "real" photography with it, rather a lot of pointless pixel peeping to check it was worth the $4000!

I'm not totally sure this is called for. I would think someone spending that amount of money on any purchase knows exactly what they are buying and why they are buying.

You seem to sure have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to Zeiss glass.

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Robin Smith wrote:
I hope you'll be able to do some "real" photography with it, rather a lot of pointless pixel peeping to check it was worth the $4000!

chez wrote:
I'm not totally sure this is called for. I would think someone spending that amount of money on any purchase knows exactly what they are buying and why they are buying.

You seem to sure have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to Zeiss glass.

+1

Feb 27, 2014 at 09:53 PM
darbo
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

My preference is using my Otus (Canon-mount) on the Sony a7 and a7R rather than on a DSLR. The manual focusing toolset - including the excellent EVF - make using the Otus an absolute pleasure. I do also make use of it on my 5D III for tripod-based AEB shooting using Live View, but otherwise it's all a7/R for now.

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:28 AM
Vancouver47
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Mike K wrote:
The Zeiss 50 Makro Planar f2 actually gives the Otus 55 some competition. At f2 it still looses, of course, but the makro planar is closer in contrast and sharpness than the other TDP comparisons listed.

Mike K

I have both lenses noted above and agree and suggest the 50 is a better value if all or most of your photos are hand held. On a tripod nothing I have seen or used is close to the 55. All the rest of the < >50mm group are for a variety of reasons "very disappointing" at best, although the Sigma Art reviews look interesting.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Stoffer wrote:
Hmmm, I felt that the AF focus indicator did a pretty good job. Maybe because I used a 1D X and center AF point only? Not every photo had the focus plane absolutely perfect, but a reasonable amount (IMO) was pretty darn good.

Anyway, I was also taking some snapshots of my kids @ F1,4, and they really had to keep their heads still, but it could be done.

which means that you have variations of the sharpness plane in the accuracy of what F 2.8 implies

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:03 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Stoffer wrote:
Here is a couple of snapshots I got with the Otus @ f/1.4. Nothing fancy, just to check out the sharpness wide open and the bokeh.

snapshot1

shapshot2

snapshot3

I like the headshot in pic number one. Not overly sharp for portraits. Don't you agree?

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

Hi,

I need some advice concerning my Canon 50mm 1.2 lens. I purchased this lens over a year ago but I have never been very excited about the images that are made with it. A lot of people consider it as the ultimate lens, I do like the focal length but when I shoot with a 135mm 2.0 the images are crisp and sharp. I do not seem to be able to obtain this crisp and sharp look and feel with the 50mm 1.2. I wonder if I have a bad lens or maybe it is not as sharp as I want it to be (which I doubt).

I have finally taken the time to make several shots to compare. And out of these series, only the f2.8 with -20 micro adjustment is sharp. I consider image 10, f2.0 with -20 micro adjustment acceptable. But none of the f1.2 shots are sharp.
I have already sent my lens back to Canon for calibration and they said it is within range. Not sure what they mean within range.

Maybe the more experienced photographers can tell me if this is "within range".

my answers was about 50/1,2, = dreamy lens, not known for the over all sharpness and expensive compared to Canons own 50/1,4 which is better from 1,4
can't understand the fuzz about it
but if you will know how a good lens works, sharpness , bokeh, minimal CA etc etc, take a look at the Otus

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

chez wrote:

wise as an owl
a person who looks outside the "Canon" box

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:48 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · TDP Review: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon T*

darbo wrote:
My preference is using my Otus (Canon-mount) on the Sony a7 and a7R rather than on a DSLR. The manual focusing toolset - including the excellent EVF - make using the Otus an absolute pleasure. I do also make use of it on my 5D III for tripod-based AEB shooting using Live View, but otherwise it's all a7/R for now.

sounds like a good combination
i will try a7R as a complement to my d800, 36Mp are after all the highest resolution today with this lens, and I am sure it is future-proof for more MP as 54Mp from Sony next time

some pictures taken at F 1,4
https://picasaweb.google.com/106266083120070292876/OTUSF14D800?authkey=Gv1sRgCLnLtLDg35_kTA

PS: where is my high resolution camera from Canon?

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:52 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password