Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Going to Uganda, any precautions?

kabraxcis

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Have never been on that continentand have never done streetphotography in developing countries. Is this strongly discouraged? Area is Kampala the capitol and largest city.

Camera is 6d so not exactly a discreet leica

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:45 PM
CRFTony
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Cover the brand name with gaffer's tape. Actually, cover a few spots on the camera with tape to make it look junky/beat up. Don't use a good camera bag, make it look old and dirty. If you show up with everything looking pristine and expensive, you make yourself a target.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:50 PM
kabraxcis

p.1 #3 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Sounds great but are the tape residues easily removable without harming the camera
CRFTony wrote:
Cover the brand name with gaffer's tape. Actually, cover a few spots on the camera with tape to make it look junky/beat up. Don't use a good camera bag, make it look old and dirty. If you show up with everything looking pristine and expensive, you make yourself a target.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:55 PM
Ian Boys
• • •
p.1 #4 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Uganda is a fairly safe country. Smile a lot and talk to people. Enjoy it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:58 PM
andyjh
• •
p.1 #5 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Idi Amin's long gone, but if you never saw the movie "Raid on Entebbe" it's definitely worth checking out.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

kabraxcis wrote:
Sounds great but are the tape residues easily removable without harming the camera

Gaffer's tape is specifically designed to leave little to no residue.

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:50 AM
Ian Boys
• • •
p.1 #7 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

andyjh wrote:
Idi Amin's long gone, but if you never saw the movie "Raid on Entebbe" it's definitely worth checking out.

Well Obote who replaced him was even worse but never mind. It's stable now outside the northern area towards Sudan.

Yes, Entebbe is interesting. The old airport and aircraft that were hit by the Israelis are still there.

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:39 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #8 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

I add tape sometimes when I shoot on the street and if you use good tape and not leave it on for months, residue shouldn't be a problem.

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Might not want to show a "Rainbow" flag.

Feb 27, 2014 at 04:41 PM

pointbob

p.1 #10 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

kabraxcis wrote:
Have never been on that continentand have never done streetphotography in developing countries. Is this strongly discouraged? Area is Kampala the capitol and largest city.

Camera is 6d so not exactly a discreet leica

maybe get a discrete m43?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Dave Mueller

p.1 #11 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

I've shot a bit on the continent...most recently in Bamako Mali...never been to Uganda, but in general i find the people fairly friendly...i simply follow local advice for areas to avoid, and when i ignore that advice, , (going into the townships in Joburg to shoot graffiti) I usually tell them i'm shooting for a "magazine in the US" and that generally lightens the mood...

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Dramodt

p.1 #12 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Have Netflix? Watch The Machine Gun Preacher. I'd go.

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:31 PM
dhachey
• •
p.1 #13 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Dave Mueller wrote:
I've shot a bit on the continent...most recently in Bamako Mali...never been to Uganda, but in general i find the people fairly friendly...i simply follow local advice for areas to avoid, and when i ignore that advice, , (going into the townships in Joburg to shoot graffiti) I usually tell them i'm shooting for a "magazine in the US" and that generally lightens the mood...

I generally stay away from war zones, but I find the people in Southern Africa are genuinely friendly and outgoing. Just be polite and ask permission to photograph them. Africa is opening up to the world, so it's a bit easier to travel and photograph these days. I also recommend traveling in a small group with someone local to interpret (if necessary) and make you aware of local customs and sensitivities. Sounds like an interesting trip. Have fun.

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:41 PM
JoJo Gunn
• •
p.1 #14 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

Kevlar.

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:41 PM
leethecam
• •
p.1 #15 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

When I was shooting in Africa we had a "fixer." ie. someone who knows the area and the local customs / people.

Likewise when I was shooting in Brazil and Thailand.

Solved a few issues on more than one occasion - particularly when we were "arrested" by local police in a bid to fund their local police "fund."

It may not be an expensive option and could make things sooo much smoother. I don't think I would consider shooting in some parts of the world without a similar arrangement.

Mar 02, 2014 at 06:56 PM
chas
• • •
p.1 #16 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

leethecam wrote:
When I was shooting in Africa we had a "fixer." ie. someone who knows the area and the local customs / people.

Likewise when I was shooting in Brazil and Thailand.

Solved a few issues on more than one occasion - particularly when we were "arrested" by local police in a bid to fund their local police "fund."

It may not be an expensive option and could make things sooo much smoother. I don't think I would consider shooting in some parts of the world without a similar arrangement.
+1

Definitely agree with this advice. I have shot in several "developing" countries, and having someone who can speak the language and knows the area is a great advantage. More so if they have a car and will drive. This can be a lot less expensive than you think. It also make it a lot more relaxing for you.

Good luck,
Chas

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:31 PM
pedwatt

p.1 #17 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

When I went to Haiti the things I learn about shooting developing countries are:
1. Most people will let you photograph them if you ask, but will get mad if you sneak a picture
2. Tape your gear and bags, you want it to look rough
3. I made a deal with my guide, when we entered a new area I would ask how his daughter was doing. His response would tell me if I could shoot or not.
4.Carry small bills in separate pockets, if your in the middle nowhere and ask to photograph some one they may ask for a small payment, with your money in different places, you can grab 1 or 5, and say it is all you got.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:06 PM
dhachey
• •
p.1 #18 · Going to Uganda, any precautions?

pedwatt wrote:
When I went to Haiti the things I learn about shooting developing countries are:
1. Most people will let you photograph them if you ask, but will get mad if you sneak a picture
2. Tape your gear and bags, you want it to look rough
3. I made a deal with my guide, when we entered a new area I would ask how his daughter was doing. His response would tell me if I could shoot or not.
4.Carry small bills in separate pockets, if your in the middle nowhere and ask to photograph some one they may ask for a small
...Show more

Good tips, I'll have to remember #3 & 4.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:22 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password