2       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Wow, check out the sample pictures here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375310

ISO 51200 seems pretty usable. With noise reduction in PP, even 102400, or heck, even 204800 may work in certain situations...

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:54 PM
rand17
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Very Nice!

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

The problem is that at the low light levels requiring ISO settings greater than 6400 the camera's autofocus is not going to work. What good are out of focus shots with low noise?

I have shot wedding receptions where the ONLY light was from votive candles on the guest tables and had to rely on IR AF assist from a SB-800 flash to get autofocus and with ISO 4000 the exposures were adequately exposed.

The D4s is very much a niche camera and not sure what that niche actually is. Starting out as a pro I would be investing in the Canon 1d X instead with it higher MP and better autofocus with 3x the number of cross type AF sensors. Nikon sure makes it difficult to be a loyal pro customer.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:07 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Link appreciated.

With these bodies being the "Pro" lineup on Nikon's side. This was a true non-event with a complete waste of time upgrade. And in as much as the OP's opinion on those ISO usability standards.. You lost me on all of it. The 100% crop at 12800 look like my Samsung Galaxy II.

This is conjunction with staying the course on the memory card format.. I'm calling epic fail on this release and chocking it up to ' keeping up with the Jones'..'

As a side note.. those cart shots being made with probably 'the best glass' Nikon offers out there... That's a bit of a wringer too.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:14 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Those cart shots don't impress me at all....good light, center point AF, AWESOME LENSES....come on, give me a challenge....my D3 and D700 could handle that easy....they're trying to demonstrate the "group AF" ability, but the shooter is CLEARLY using JUST the center point, but they make the comment "the AF is smart enough to get the correct car in focus"....BECAUSE YOU FOCUSED ON THE CORRECT CAR!!!.....this test is totally useless.....go shoot a football game, with runners cutting in front of the subject, then show me the results.

Also, it looks as if the D4s has some heavy handed noise reduction going on.....at 1600 and 3200, the D4 has more detail.....

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Well, all the sample shots show me is that my D4 will be sticking around for awhile. I promise you I could get sharp cart shots under those condition with it (or my D800, or pretty much any Nikon DSLR), no problem at all.

As for the high ISO samples, I don't think the D4s was focusing properly on the model - and if it was, yikes! I'll take the D4.

All that said, this was only the first volley and oftentimes the initial images we see from new cameras are unimpressive. In time we'll have a much clearer picture.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:57 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

elkhornsun wrote:
The problem is that at the low light levels requiring ISO settings greater than 6400 the camera's autofocus is not going to work. What good are out of focus shots with low noise?

I have shot wedding receptions where the ONLY light was from votive candles on the guest tables and had to rely on IR AF assist from a SB-800 flash to get autofocus and with ISO 4000 the exposures were adequately exposed.

The D4s is very much a niche camera and not sure what that niche actually is. Starting out as a pro I would be investing in the
...Show more

Seriously?

I routinely shoot at 6400 and up with the D4 and hit strings of continuous shots deadly sharp.

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:32 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Well there are different levels of 6400...are we talking 6400 at 2.8 at 1/800s to stop action?? Or are we talking 6400 at 1.4 and 1/30s?? They are two very different things...one will af fine, the other will struggle

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:41 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

This is the D3s all over again. As a former Canon shooter, I was introduced to the D3s when Jerry Gihonis switched to Nikon. The D3s has been out a couple of years at that point. Every time I turned around a wedding photographer was saying "I don't know what I would do without my D3s, it's the best low light camera on the market and I can get great shots under any lighting conditions."

So in two years, you'll hear the same thing about the D4s. "Best dslr Nikon has ever made." "Takes great shots with the lens cap on." Etc.

So right now it doesn't seems leaps and bounds ahead of the D4. But in a couple of years, when lots of people have them, all the D4 shooters will be salivating over that additional stop of ISO performance. For SOME shooters it really does make a world of difference. Just wait til ISO 25000-50000 shots are all over Flickr - and looking splendid. We'll all want a D4s then

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

ohsnaphappy wrote:
This is the D3s all over again. As a former Canon shooter, I was introduced to the D3s when Jerry Gihonis switched to Nikon. The D3s has been out a couple of years at that point. Every time I turned around a wedding photographer was saying "I don't know what I would do without my D3s, it's the best low light camera on the market and I can get great shots under any lighting conditions."

So in two years, you'll hear the same thing about the D4s. "Best dslr Nikon has ever made." "Takes great shots with the lens cap on."
...Show more

Truer words have never been said - It's human nature I guess. We see this behavior everytime a new lens or camera comes out. First they resist change, then after some time they will quietly upgrade to the new stuff. keyword: QUIETLY. lol

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:21 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

The High ISO improvements look promising but these are OOC JPEGs so it's hard to tell what percentage of the improvement is the sensor vs EXPEED processing. Nikon's D4s press release indicate both were improved - time will tell what the balance of that improvement between the two is.

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:33 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

DontShoot wrote:
First they resist change, then after some time they will quietly upgrade to the new stuff. keyword: QUIETLY. lol

The irony in this case, of course, being that most of the folks doing the bellyaching will never be in the market for a D4s. Not because it fails to meet their expectations, but rather because they were never in the market for a $6500 camera in the first place.

Josh

Feb 25, 2014 at 07:29 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Some interesting points everyone. Thanks for contributing to the thread.

Couple of comments:

The problem is that at the low light levels requiring ISO settings greater than 6400 the camera's autofocus is not going to work.

Note sure about that. Even our D800E does not seem to have have much of a problem autofocusing at 6400 or even higher. Plus, in certain situations, a pocket flash light may become handy. All that said, more cross-type AF sensors should help, and I also like to see Nikon adding more.

The 100% crop at 12800 look like my Samsung Galaxy II.

Seriously? Assuming you are comparing apples-to-apples (e.g., 100% crop on both), you must have a pretty darn good camera on your GSII

those cart shots being made with probably 'the best glass' Nikon offers out there

True, but whoever affords a D4s most likely also has "the best glass", so I don't see much of an issue here, plus, I suppose/hope the same glass was used on both D4 and D4s for the comparison.

these are OOC JPEGs so it's hard to tell what percentage of the improvement is the sensor vs EXPEED processing

Yes, good point indeed.

Generally, I do agree that it will take time and a lot more samples and reviews to judge exactly how significant of an upgrade this is. But my guess is that the same story as D3 to D3s may repeat itself, in that in future you would have to pay a lot more than $500 in difference when buying a used D4s vs a used D4.

most of the folks doing the bellyaching will never be in the market for a D4s. Not because it fails to meet their expectations, but rather because they were never in the market for a $6500 camera in the first place.

This is probably true too. I don't do any bellyaching and would actually love to have a D4s today, but count me in among those not in the market for a $6500 camera, certainly not until we make serious money taking pictures, at which point, it frankly will no longer be much fun anymore

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:38 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

JoshI wrote:
The irony in this case, of course, being that most of the folks doing the bellyaching will never be in the market for a D4s. Not because it fails to meet their expectations, but rather because they were never in the market for a $6500 camera in the first place.

Josh

Yup ha! I could start my posts by saying "I won't be buying this" but unlike the trolls, I mean because I can't afford it, justify it, and for the most part don't need it. Even as a full time photographer, I can tell you that the price difference between my D800 and any kind of D4 is pretty substantial. Especially with tax season approaching, ha!

But I truly appreciate what this camera is. Those who get one will appreciate it even more!!!

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

elkhornsun wrote:

The D4s is very much a niche camera and not sure what that niche actually is. Starting out as a pro I would be investing in the
...Show more

you are joking right? i use the D4 in stuff at avg 12800 to 20318 iso way to often and AF is spot on. of course if you are trying for a blank wall you might have a little issue.

even my D610 does nicely at 12800 and has no AF issues too

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:24 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

I don't see my self getting a D4s, my D800e fits my needs almost perfectly. But I don't get all the negativity about this update.

It's a pretty well rounded update, updated sensor, updated circuitry, updated video, improved ISO, Improved AF, new video functionality, and other new features.

This updates allows Nikon to stay cutting edge with it's offerings and allows Nikon shooters to uses he best tools possible when trying to push the boundaries of photography and video. ISO 409600 may not be needed by many, but I am sure some will find a uses for it.

Remember once Nikon develops technology in house it's bound to find it's way into other products they will make such as a D810, or D900.

I am definitely looking forwards to seeing some real reviews on this camera.

Edit: posted this in wrong topic sorry.

Edited on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:19 AM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Honestly the portrait d4 images look sharp. The d4s images look soft. Not sure if it's noise reduction or microadjustment needed.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Probably shouldn't take much more out of these shots other than 'it can take pictures still' outside of some very effective color noise reduction in the JPEG engine at very high ISOs.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Exit
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Honestly the portrait d4 images look sharp. The d4s images look soft. Not sure if it's noise reduction or microadjustment needed.

The guy said he used different lenses and the one on the D4s was soft

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon D4 vs D4s High ISO Samples

I'd like to see RAWs at ISO100, ISO3200 and ISO25600 to start...so I can compare them with other cameras for flexibility, dynamic range, etc.

I am not likely to need more than 25600, and if the detail/dynamic range/etc. are retained at that ISO, then it would be pretty appealing for me. It would allow me to take reception and nighttime outdoor photos I currently cannot take (for wedding clients).

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.