Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Burlesque Show (nsfw)

r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Hi,

I was recently asked to do some shots of a Burlesque show. I had never shot burlesque before, nor had I ever been to a burlesque show before. So this was a totally new experience for me. I have done lots of concerts before, including quite a few at this particular venue, so I knew the venue. I was specifically given the task of doing portraits of the performers before and after their set. I shot quite a few back stage candids, and some portraits in a tiny little closet of a room that serves as the mechanical room/bathroom/storage room. I found the location for the portraits to be quite challenging... compared to the rest of the back stage area it was very brightly lit, and had lime green walls, and was just very tight and oddly shaped. I did the portraits with a single speedlight w/ umbrella. The back stage shots were taken with ambient light. Camera: D700 Lenses: 35mm f1.4 Ai-s (manual focus) & 24-70 f2.8 there might be one or two with my 50mm f1.2 Ai-s as well.

All in all, it was a ton of fun, and I'm pretty happy with how the shots came out. I would do it again, but might change my approach slightly.

Feb 25, 2014 at 07:51 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Good set. I know nothing of this setting, but it looks rich. You handled it well.

John Caldwell

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM
bobbyv
• •
p.1 #3 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

I've been a slinky fan since I was just a kid...now...??

But seriously folks, nice use of lighting in these and a unique choice of subjects!

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:39 AM
sculpin
• •
p.1 #4 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Good job. Interesting and dynamic environment. I like #3 for many photographic (lighting, pose...) and non-photographic reasons - she's a beautiful woman.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:55 AM
swordfishphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

I was asked to shoot a show this past weekend but I had to work after seeing Jess pictures, it makes me really sad! But good job though

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:27 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

John: Thank you! yes, I enjoyed shooting in the backstage area... there was definitely some character in the setting. The light was dim, but I would take dim directional light over flat, green fluorescent light any day!

Bobby: Never heard the term 'slinky' before, except for the spring! Thanks for your thoughts. I can't take too much credit for the lighting, other than the portraits, even then I think I could have done better given more space and a bit more time.

Sculpin: Thank you I agree, I think #3 was possibly my favourite portrait of the session. She was the girl who organized the event.

Swordfish: I wouldn't discourage you from trying it out if you ever get the chance again. Thanks aswell

more shots on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_robson/

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:55 PM
xclusive252

p.1 #7 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

love the pics

Mar 10, 2014 at 05:37 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #8 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Great set. I thought I'd commented on these before. So I'm back because, clearly, I hadn't.

I love the use of dim and overhead lights here. Additionally, you've well captured the fun atmosphere, and given an awesome behind the scenes look at what happens when the curtain goes down.

Mar 10, 2014 at 06:41 PM

rexmills

p.1 #9 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Very interesting.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Shoikan

p.1 #10 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

I actually got into photography for shooting burlesque: my gf is doing it 'as a hobby'.. So if you don't mind, I'm going to take some inspiration in your pictures I accidentally made some cute pictures so far, but I can only hope I'll get to the point where I can more or less consistently make pics even half as good as these!

May 02, 2014 at 02:21 PM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #11 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

These are great, especially the more photojournalism shots. Dont get me wrong, the portraits are nice too, but shots like no.1, 7 and 10 really work.

May 02, 2014 at 05:31 PM
dbuono

p.1 #12 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Looks like you took a very hard setting and difficult light and turned out some great photos. Good job

May 02, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Howdy,

I think you did a very good job on the topic, the location, and subjects.

From this nice set of images, my favorites were 4 and 2 because of the personality shown.

I think image 4 is very good.

I also like the inclusion of the backstage shots.

And the color and BW mix.

Overall, I think you did a very good job. More than that, it is exemplary of what can be done.

May 02, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Very interesting.

May 03, 2014 at 02:09 AM
bboot166

p.1 #15 · Burlesque Show (nsfw)

Really good set in tough conditions

May 04, 2014 at 11:14 AM