New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Test shot from new member

Keiththom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Test shot from new member

Hi all. I just joined and wanted to upload a test shot to see how the forum works. I am new to digital photography and have been playing with it for about 6 months now. I've studied raptors all my life and am a falconer and enjoy photographing my birds, especially when they are chasing game. (I'm not sure that is acceptable on this forum??) But also like to get out and take shots of some wild birds.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Test shot from new member

Jefferson

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Test shot from new member

Welcome to FM.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Test shot from new member

Welcome to FM Keith, I appreciate your insight into my hawk posts.
Douglas

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Test shot from new member

Great shot, welcome to the Forum.
I'd love to get some tips on how to get nice shots of raptors, especially in low light.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Test shot from new member

Steve Park wrote:
Great shot, welcome to the Forum.
I'd love to get some tips on how to get nice shots of raptors, especially in low light.

That's an easy one and I haven't even been in digital photography long : You just spend $6000.00 on the right camera and $15000.00 on the right lens and it's easy.

Or you are welcome to come to my place and I will set one out in the best light available.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Test shot from new member

Welcome Keith!

I have a question for you. I was invited to a falconeering event in January (Michigan), but ended up not going (it was too cold - and I like the cold, but it was TOO cold -30)

I wanted to photograph the event (birds). When doing an event like this, do they take the birds in the woods or do it in an open field (easier for photographing) by baiting the trained birds in? I got mixed feedback when I was trying to figure this out.

Mar 10, 2014 at 06:24 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Test shot from new member

kzoockof wrote:
Welcome Keith!

I have a question for you. I was invited to a falconeering event in January (Michigan), but ended up not going (it was too cold - and I like the cold, but it was TOO cold -30)

I wanted to photograph the event (birds). When doing an event like this, do they take the birds in the woods or do it in an open field (easier for photographing) by baiting the trained birds in? I got mixed feedback when I was trying to figure this out.

kzoockof: Thanks but unfortunately it's been a luke-warm reception. As soon as I stepped into the Wildlife forum I begin receiving hate mail, so I've kind of backed off the forum and had to cease posting images. Most wildlife photography forums seem to have a strong contingency of anti hunter / anti sportsmen / vegan / PETA types who are very vocal. The bad thing about this forum is that I actually paid $29 for the privilege of getting castigated! So I kind of went back "to my own kind," as they say where no one complains about falconry images.

I don't know what organization you were invited to, but the Michigan Hawking Club is a very active club that holds lots of different types of events. They advertise "public events" but I do not know what those consist of. But I doubt if there would be much free-flight events there. If you go to the Michigan hawking club website there is a "contact us" link and also a forum. If they allow non-members to participate on the forum then I would ask if any falconers would be willing to let you tag along on an actual hunt while you photographed. I'm sure you would get invited since falconers love getting good shots of their birds in flight. The hunting season is ending now and starts up again around October. Some falconers may be flying for a few weeks more. They will have summer events but the only birds there would be sitting on perches.

There is no "baiting" birds in and that lingo would be foreign and not understood. "Falconeering," is another non-word to avoid, even though I get your drift.

If you were a local Missouri photographer I would set up a day to just hike some fields with some birds flying along overhead for you to photograph. Someone in Michigan might do the same? I know Michigan falconers but none that I really keep up contact with.

Just one suggestion: If they allow you to join their forum, then let me know and I'll pop in and see if I can get you set up with someone. I'm sure a lot of the older guys there would know me.

Or if you pm'd me during the fall or winter months, I'll tap into my contacts and see what i can set up for you.

And don't worry, at -30 I wouldn't go either and my birds would not fly well if I did.

And vegans will just have to get over it (even though I will just get more hate mail) But here goes some more images anyway. I guess I never learn.

Mar 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Test shot from new member

And vegans will just have to get over it (even though I will just get more hate mail) But here goes some more images anyway. I guess I never learn.

Yeah, God forbid that you post shots of the natural order of things. Sometimes I believe that these morons think that carnivores should be taught to eat bean sprouts. And where is their indignation for the 1.21 MILLION babies that are killed every year in this country?

Great shots by the way.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Test shot from new member

… I like the concept of a pet that can feed you … its self … while at the same time providing great photographic opportunities …

And I would bet they taste a bit like chicken in a pinch …

Jefferson

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:30 PM
yonnliu

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Test shot from new member

that's really nice!

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:03 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.