New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Extended Warranty

robbie5539

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Extended Warranty

I just purchased a D610 and found the included 1-year warranty from Nikon. I registered on the Nikon site and was never offered an option to purchase an extended warranty from them. I have used SquareTrade for other extended warranties (iPhone, BluRay, etc.) and have been very happy with them in the past. What are your thoughts on the need/utility of an extended warranty for camera bodies?

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Extended Warranty

I don't buy extended warranties. But that's just me. I've been fortunate that I have never needed a camera or lens repair in or out of warranty.
The one time we did opt for the extended warranty on a Dell Laptop purchased with rewards from Staples and when it needed repair being sent to Texas and from there to India and a after month without it being shown in the fine print that I didn't understand what "in store" repair meant, I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with a third party and to me the cost is just not worth it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM
euua
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Extended Warranty

never buy them - never want to hear about them !!

This is how retailers make the most money off you by selling you warranty that you will never use.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM
robbie5539

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Extended Warranty

In general, I agree with you but I've found them useful for portable electronics. I've used SquareTrade several times when my wife has dropped her iPhone 5S and shattered the screen. I'm in no way affiliated with them, but they were great to deal with. I filled out the online form and had the screen repaired locally. I emailed them a receipt and was reimbursed before I could pull into my driveway.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Extended Warranty

Most credit cards offer an extra year warranty on all purchases, on top of the manufacturer warranty. You'd have more luck claiming that than getting a third party warranty to cover it.

Every third party warranty I've ever heard of, whether it be cars, cameras, etc. is a nightmare to claim, they do everything possible to deny your claim, and if you succeed, they send it to their own repair shops, not Nikon. There is a reason why most stores who offer you 3rd party warranties push them so hard, and it's because they are almost entirely straight profit.

Sounds like you have had good luck SquareTrade, I certainly wouldn't say that is the norm with 3rd party companies though.

On top of all that, I have never had a single piece of Nikon camera equipment break, fail, or need repairing in 8 years of going through dozens of lenses, camera bodies, accessories, etc.

If a third party warranty gives you peace of mind, and that peace of mind is worth whatever the warranty costs, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that either.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Extended Warranty

Extended warranties are pushed by sales associates because of the commission paid.
Such warranties are often 80-% profit for company.

I view extended warranties as similar to insurance, which, according to professional advice,
you should only buy for losses you CANNOT afford.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Extended Warranty

I buy extended warranty for high dollar used Nikon gear. When they need service, I take it to NIKON, they evaluate the problem, get approval from the extended warranty company, and repair the product.

I am in Canada, extended warranty is from Henry's, and Nikon Service is within driving distance of me. YMMV.

(Also, Henry's extended warranty is transferable.)

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:12 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Extended Warranty

> Most credit cards offer an extra year warranty on all purchases, on top of the manufacturer warranty.

This is a good reason to think about which credit card you use. This "extended" warranty is free and takes you well past the infant mortality* period.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:12 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Extended Warranty

I understand your reasoning with a $600 iphone, we also drop them. We use hard protective cases and upgrade when contract expires. The old phone goes in a drawer to be used if needed. Works out to be less expensive than warranty/insurance and we have a phone that can be activated immediately if needed. As has been said above nothing wrong with insurance/warranty if it gives you peace of mind or protects against a loss you can't afford. I can just afford to amortize the cost of expendable items.

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.