2       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

Along with D4s, I think this is an interesting development as well:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0225_strap_03.htm

All along, there have been some people (myself included) who did not quite trust hanging a heavy camera/lens combination off the tripod socket. Also that the BlackRapid CR-2 metal connector could easily scratch the camera/lens. Then BR introduced their so-called Tether Kit for increased safety against FastenR getting loose, as well as LockStar to cover most of the metal portion on CR-2, and also to keep it from getting loose.

And now, it looks like Nikon has partnered with BR for these newly announced BR style straps, and reading through their announcement, it looks like it will have a "safety strap" (probably similar to Tether) and the cover for CR-2 included.

Now, given that it will now be a Nikon brand, the big question is if Nikon warranty would apply if the strap gets loose, and camera is dropped! I personally doubt it!

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:25 AM
MitchSC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

I like my Black Rapid strap. I don't think there that much force on the tripod socket. I've never worried about it coming loose as long as it was properly installed and I don't use the tether kit. Most of the time my hand is on the camera anyway. I believe most of the failures are due to not dogging down the connector. Of course sh** happens and if my camera and lens hit the ground I would be whaling.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

actually most failures had nothing to do with that part of the attachment. they were direct failures of the clip assy itself.

you are worried about of the load in you camera socket?
ref and watch:

had the BR in the beginning. found a better setup fairly quick too.

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:32 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

I like my blackrapid but I don't trust it - am always careful to snug it down well so the rubber washer is well compressed.

One day I was walking around with the D800 and Sigma 85 for a couple of hours, it worked its way completely loose. I was incredibly lucky to catch it as it bounced off my leg. Now I'm paranoid and I check tightness constantly.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:48 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

that issue does not exist on the CSLR component and shows yet another inherent flaw. been using it 2 years now w/o a second thought.
enjoy second guessing your gears security.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:56 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

sjms wrote:
actually most failures had nothing to do with that part of the attachment. they were direct failures of the clip assy itself.

you are worried about of the load in you camera socket?
ref and watch:

had the BR in the beginning. found a better setup fairly quick too.

So what better set up did you finally decide to use?

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:53 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

...making it even EASIER for Nikon to claim "impact damage"

Feb 25, 2014 at 07:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

unclemikey wrote:
So what better set up did you finally decide to use?

combined Custom SLR C Loop with a Luma Labs Cinch. i have 3 setups. solid, modular, secure and better made overall

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1259424/0?keyword=luma,labs#11994381

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

trenchmonkey wrote:

I waited for that.

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:51 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

sjms wrote:
combined Custom SLR C Loop with a Luma Labs Cinch. i have 3 setups. solid, modular, secure and better made overall

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1259424/0?keyword=luma,labs#11994381

SJMS, yes I remember this thread however, I decided to stick with the BR straps since I do like them. I have made a couple of adjustments to the system which works for me.
Also, to keep the straps from swinging too much when I'm moving I found a plastic hydration tube retainer that fits onto my TT Pro Speed Belt or my trouser belt and can stick the straps
into the retainer part. No problem lifting the camera as the strap slips out of the retainer when raised but not when walking since gravity and the weight keep it secure.

To each his/her own I suppose.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

I like the branding idea.. it's great.

In as much as the BR strap design, I've not ever had an issue with the part attaching to the camera itself, as I've never used one of those weird bolts with a whole in it as BL supplies. I have a flat plate with a 90 degree bend and the hook goes through that. I DO however have concerns over the swivel portion of the locking loop. I feel that loop/swivel connection (albeit never failed) looks to be a weak point.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

unclemikey wrote:
SJMS, yes I remember this thread however, I decided to stick with the BR straps since I do like them. I have made a couple of adjustments to the system which works for me.
Also, to keep the straps from swinging too much when I'm moving I found a plastic hydration tube retainer that fits onto my TT Pro Speed Belt or my trouser belt and can stick the straps
into the retainer part. No problem lifting the camera as the strap slips out of the retainer when raised but not when walking since gravity and the weight keep it secure.

To
...Show more

as it is in most things

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

I actually don't understand the love for BR kind of strap, especially when there are so many reports on failure...

In fact, it seems to be a hassle for tripod users. I prefer a "normal" strap attached to the body, or one end attached to body and the other end attached to the L-plate.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

ytwong wrote:
I actually don't understand the love for BR kind of strap, especially when there are so many reports on failure...

In fact, it seems to be a hassle for tripod users. I prefer a "normal" strap attached to the body, or one end attached to body and the other end attached to the L-plate.

The single strap isn't anything amazing compared to some other options, even the stock strap, but the double strap is where the BR really shines.

I carry 2-3 bodies with f/2.8 zooms for 12+ hour days all the time and having a hands free option that is the BR double strap is the best thing ever. When I used to the stock straps I would always have to keep a hand on the straps to stop them from sliding off my shoulder, especially when running or crouching.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:16 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

ytwong wrote:

Perhaps the number of failures has to do with the old original clip arrangement or perhaps it has to do with the fact that many more people use the BR strap so there are just more of everything including happy customers.

As for using the strap with tripods, the arrangement I use is to attach the strap to a 1" Kirk screw release plate and that to my L-bracket. When attaching to a tripod I can loosen the camera plate and slide it to one side and attach the L-bracket to a tripod head either in landscape or portrait position without every taking the camera off the strap.
A bit confining but it works just fine.

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:15 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

I like and always use the BR single body strap but, like others, I do not fully trust it....so I also use a wrist strap (sometimes the BR version) as a backup. The combo works well for me.

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:36 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

Been using it for over a year and never once did that gasket make itself loose. Unnerving at first to have all that pricey gear dangle the way it does but got over it quickly.

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:09 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

That big yellow stripe flashing "Nikon". One of the reasons I don't use the cheap strap that comes with the camera.

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:27 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

trenchmonkey wrote:

Zing...!!

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon partnering w/ Black Rapid on Quick-Draw Strap

unclemikey wrote:
Perhaps the number of failures has to do with the old original clip arrangement or perhaps it has to do with the fact that many more people use the BR strap so there are just more of everything including happy customers.

As for using the strap with tripods, the arrangement I use is to attach the strap to a 1" Kirk screw release plate and that to my L-bracket. When attaching to a tripod I can loosen the camera plate and slide it to one side and attach the L-bracket to a tripod head either in landscape or portrait position without
...Show more

there in lies an issue, you need to accessorize an accessory.

Feb 27, 2014 at 09:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.