Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

First newborn session

gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · First newborn session

Did my first newborn session today. I had these these really nice poses all planned with cool textures and great light. What I didn't plan on was that the infant may not want to be posed in really cool ways. (This infant is my 2 1/2 week old grandson)
I have a new found respect and admiration for those of you who have posted such incredible newborn pictures. This was not easy and it would have been more fun if my expectations weren't so high.
Would love some feedback. (I will probably use the best one for the weekly contest.)
Thanks
Greg

gdgood photography 2014

Canon EOS-1D X    EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens    50mm    f/1.6    1/60s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

Canon EOS-1D X    85mm lens    85mm    f/1.6    1/60s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

Canon EOS-1D X    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    105mm    f/4.0    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

Canon EOS-1D X    85mm lens    85mm    f/1.8    1/60s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

Canon EOS-1D X    85mm lens    85mm    f/1.6    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:47 AM
beardown34

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · First newborn session

cute wrinkles

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:37 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #3 · First newborn session

Don't let the experience get you down. the first few are always the toughest and truth be told it never gets easier (at least for me). I think Newborn photography paints this glorious fantasy that all you need is great window light, a dslr with a 50 1.4/1.8 lens and a blanket with some props and you are good to go.

It takes a lot of patience, understanding, tons of sshing and rocking, lots of feeding, diaper changes and even through all of that still the little one may not sleep or tire out.

There is also tons of Post processing that goes into newborn photography these days, actions being sold left and right to anyone that doesn't want to figure it out themselves. the babies never look like what they really look like at the end of the editing in a lot of cases.

Could your session have gone better? absolutely however it was your first, you are out of your realm and it will take quite a few more sessions to even figure out if its something you want to dive further into.

i think the pictures you have are fine for great family pictures. Pictures 1 and 2 could use a slight bump in exposure and i think that the sin tones could be more adjusted between all of the pictures for consistency.

Beautiful grandson

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:48 PM
jbouchard
• •
p.1 #4 · First newborn session

I think they are great shots... that's what babies look like... .they don't look like glamour models.

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:29 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #5 · First newborn session

Thanks beardown34, nextelbuddy and jbouchard. The feedback is appreciated.
I am going to go through these again and try to get the skin tone more consistent before delivering the final set to my daughter. We are going to try again in a 3-4 weeks. I think my biggest takeaway from yesterdays session (besides the overall difficulty of doing this) was that once we had the little guy positioned, I had to keep the camera pointed and ready or I could miss the best expressions.
Greg

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:37 PM

nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #6 · First newborn session

gregfixit wrote:
Thanks beardown34, nextelbuddy and jbouchard. The feedback is appreciated.
I am going to go through these again and try to get the skin tone more consistent before delivering the final set to my daughter. We are going to try again in a 3-4 weeks. I think my biggest takeaway from yesterdays session (besides the overall difficulty of doing this) was that once we had the little guy positioned, I had to keep the camera pointed and ready or I could miss the best expressions.
Greg

I couldn't agree more. have to keep that camera on them ready for anything or you could miss it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:13 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · First newborn session

I like the ideas, but the lighting is just too flat. WB issues. 5 is sweet. Consider B&W or desaturating the pink baby just a bit. FWIW

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:28 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #8 · First newborn session

bryanlindsey wrote:
I like the ideas, but the lighting is just too flat. WB issues. 5 is sweet. Consider B&W or desaturating the pink baby just a bit. FWIW

Thanks Bryan. I didn't even think of trying B&W.
White Balance is always an issue for me. I just gotta keep working at it.
Greg

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:38 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #9 · First newborn session

gregfixit wrote:
Thanks Bryan. I didn't even think of trying B&W.
White Balance is always an issue for me. I just gotta keep working at it.
Greg

Auto WB has always been my friend. Maybe tweak a little in post, but my D700 usually nails it. FWIW

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:37 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password