Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Steve Perry wrote:
As a D4 owner, I'm curious what real world results are like. On paper, it looks like I'll keep my D4 and wait till the D5 comes out, but so many times things that seem like small upgrades actually end up being quite impressive in the end.

For example, Nikon claims faster AF lock on - this is a big deal for birds in flight. Sometimes a fast bird swoops in quickly and you only have a couple seconds before the action is over. In these cases I know I've personally had more than a few instances where the
...Show more

Steve,

You bring us some good points. Also, in looking at the comparison sheet between the two bodies, there is more meat there than first meets the eye. One in particular that caught my attention was the uncompressed raw which can make a big difference in IQ if some significant PP is needed, as may be the case for some of the extremely demanding situations that a user of a D4/D4s may find themselves in.

Too bad FX in general is out of my budget ... the D4s looks like a dream camera when you are still shooting the D300.

Cheers,
Andre

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Next39
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Frogfish wrote:
With the main areas of improvement being in Video handling and Live View then we can see clearly who Nikon area targeting .. and it did need improving in those areas compared to Canon. For stills shooter - maybe not worth the upgrade but for video users clearly it is.

I'm not upgrading my D4, but you are absolutely correct about video.

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:38 PM
mikepmcs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

I.MUST.HAVE.ONE!!!!!
I shoot basketball and hockey and that's it. Both in a low light atmosphere so that one stop of light or however you want to say cleaner photos.... would be like winning the lotto. Ok, not really, but darn close.
Looks like some awesome upgrades for a slight increase in price. Sounds fantastic to me.
Technology is awesome and it just blows my mind how Nikon and others can continue to improve on things we already see as incredible.

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:46 PM
JoshI
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

lara_ckl wrote:
Has Nikon, in recent memory, ever announce the release of a body without announcing a new lens?

D7100, D800/E, D3X, etc. I think the D600 was released with a lens, but it was for the Nikon 1 system.

Josh

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:06 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

niXer wrote:
So SRaw, $6500 and a me too 11FPS?

So is Nikon being Canon now? What's next vertical front command dial like... on my Df... crap.

1DX still shoots at 12FPS with AE and AF....Nikon still can't get there even with their new processor and 2MP less resolution....a little pathetic if you ask me

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:24 PM
SAng
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

I understand the 1DX has a whole bunch of meaningful options you can use to customize and fine tune AF performance to suit what you're shooting. For instance to tell the camera to give priority to the foreground where my subject is and reduce the chance of backfocus because the background is higher contrast and pulling the focus away with a fast moving subject. I would almost kill to have Nikon add that kind of capability to improve AF. Going from 10 to 11 fps is hardly making me sit up. If the D4S AF is significantly better I might be tempted, not to upgrade, but to get a second body to go with my D4.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:46 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

JimFox wrote:
What was Nikon thinking? Perhaps they aren't thinking that existing users of a D4 would upgrade but to attract new purchases of the D4s by those who are now coming into the market for a camera with those spec's.

So don't upgrade, but what about the guy who just now is in the market for a sports camera or wildlife camera? I know if I didn't have a D4... and I had the choice to buy a D4 or a D4s, I would be thankful for Nikon for adding the improvements and I would get the D4s...

It's amazing the negativity that
...Show more

Jim,
You are talking too much sense for the forums.

I don't know why, but we Nikon users love to bash Nikon. They put in a redesigned sensor and a new CPU (Expeed 4) in the D4s and so many posters call it a software upgrade only!!!

Thank you for talking some sense here.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:49 PM
MichGoBlue
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

I shoot night and indoor high school sports - so lots of bad lighting where I am living at 10000-12800 ISO with my D4. If I can shoot at 8000-10000 instead with a D4s that probably more than doubles the number of publishable images I get with the places I normally shoot. I have put around 100,000 clicks on my D4 since I purchased it refurbished in July for $4800. Hopefully I can get a refurb'd D4s body by next Fall and retire my D4 to a back-up.

Anyway, its not like I am going to rush out and pay top dollar for a D4s now, but for sports at least, these upgrades look worth paying for to me.

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

johnctharp wrote:
Nail on the head- it's why many would rather have the 1D X when shooting action in lower light; that extra stop (if it's real) should put Nikon clearly ahead. Now, about those super-teles....

Not according to DxO...
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D4-versus-Canon-EOS-1Dx___767_753

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:40 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

caad4rep wrote:
SRaw and Group AF points. Anything else new on it?

16mp is already "SRaw" to begin with, isn't it? I often wished the D800E offered this.

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

JimFox wrote:
What was Nikon thinking? Perhaps they aren't thinking that existing users of a D4 would upgrade but to attract new purchases of the D4s by those who are now coming into the market for a camera with those spec's.

So don't upgrade, but what about the guy who just now is in the market for a sports camera or wildlife camera? I know if I didn't have a D4... and I had the choice to buy a D4 or a D4s, I would be thankful for Nikon for adding the improvements and I would get the D4s...

It's amazing the negativity that
...Show more

Jim,

Part of the negativity is that Nikon is updating relatively up-to-date bodies (like the DXXXX and D4) while neglecting to even offer an update to other loved bodies in the line-up. Nikon should not update up-to-date models if it has gaps in the line-up. Nikon should fill the gaps first!

The same logic applies to introducing new products like the DF.

And for those who forget what the gaps are: D4x, D800h, D400.

Don't get me wrong ... Nikon is putting out some incredible cameras ... all top notch performers ... but the line-up has gaps and those of us living in those gaps can get frustrated and cranky.

Personally, I'd love to have a D4s and it does seem a logical update to the D4. Kudo's to Nikon for that.

Cheers,
Andre

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:55 PM
oiseau0001
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

D4S...

<yawn>

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:04 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Looks like a good incremental update. Not enough to get me to upgrade however, but for new buyers they will get a slightly better camera on top of an already amazing camera.

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Trevorma
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Andre Labonte wrote:
And for those who forget what the gaps are: D4x, D800h, D400.

We are back to the Gaps thing again eh? I would have thought that a D7200 with a better buffer would have laid to rest the D400 talk...... and the D4X What is it going to have a 36MP sensor? Nikon will tell you to get a D800, or the D800h with a high frame rate? Nikon will point you in the direction of the D4s.

I think at this point it is quite clear that Nikon does not see a gap in the line up, and no amount of bitching is going to change that. They have drawn THREE clear lines in the sand:

1) Conxsumer DX
2) Pro Sports and Wildlife
3) High Megapixel

It's up to you to conform now......

I think moving forward you might see a D800 replacment with a bit more MP, a D5 with 24MP's.....but I highly doubt you see a D4X with 36 MP (or more) at 10+fps....

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:34 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

arbitrage wrote:
1DX still shoots at 12FPS with AE and AF....Nikon still can't get there even with their new processor and 2MP less resolution....a little pathetic if you ask me

At 12 FPS the 1DX offers 180 jpgs before filling the buffer. The D4s? 200 jpgs.

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:49 PM
brian_sp
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

ohsnaphappy wrote:
At 12 FPS the 1DX offers 180 jpgs before filling the buffer.

that's pathetic!

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Man what a bunch of whining people on this forum. If you aren't in the market for a $6000 camera, you probably aren't in the market for a $6500 camera either, so what difference does it make to you? I own a D3s and a D4. I'm either going to upgrade the D3s to a D4 or a D4s. Once I see some real world images and some reviews I'll make up my mind.

The D3-D3s step didn't seem significant on paper but in the real world where I live it was huge. The difference between the D3s and D4 for some didn't seem significant. But in my world and how I work and shoot it is, I'm hoping for the same in the D4s and that will be worth the $500 difference between a current D4 and the soon to be out D4s.

I live at 6400ISO and above probably 85% of the time. Clients are requesting larger and larger prints. 1 stop of better noise control can make all the difference between being able to sell a huge print and feel great about it and not being able too.

Matt

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:26 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Here is a preview event Nikon did with the D4s. Some decent D4 to D4s comparison images.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375310

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:57 PM
rand17

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

Its been a long road!! but its here!!

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:01 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon D4s Officially Announced

For those jumping up and down over the extra 20 frames, the 1DX has more MP, a higher frame rate and reported better low light AF performance. My 2 cents is that Nikon did the 4S to help keep folks from moving to the 1DX.

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:31 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password