Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

My mom said for a grad present she will buy me a mac book, but I'm fine with my laptop now I just need some better software. So I'm thinking of putting the idea for a 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8 past her. It would be the non-IS versions.

The 400 f/2.8 would take some convincing but I think I could swing it with it being a birthday/graduation/Christmas present.

I'm a high school senior and the gear that I've been able to afford that I use for sports is a 7D 70-200 and occasionally a 17-40. Which one would you buy? I shoot with a 7D, but plan on going to a 1D III. I shoot high school sports and I'm hoping I can get access to college games once I'm in college. I have a website that I'm starting to get rolling so it would help with the quality of photos.

Which one should I try and convince my parents on?I would get a Christmas and birthday present if I didn't get the 400, but it would probably be something I wouldn't use much or more photography gear or just gas money. Which would you do?

I'm thinking the 400 f/2.8 but I think it would be too tight on the 7D for high school and college sports. And I could always ask for a teleconverter for my birthday. But then again if I get the 1D III it looks a little better.

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:54 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

400 on a 7D is indeed very tight, but with it you will get some really cool tight stuff (if you can see anything you are shooting at all... :-) )

I have a 300, and I tried it with a 1.4x, and it was too tight to be easily usable IMO. (Football from the sidelines)

If you get a 1DIII, you could keep the 7D for the 300 and go 70-200 on the 1DIII, that would make a pretty solid two body set up for football/soccer.

Paul

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

I have all of the aforementioned combinations. If your mom will spring for a 400, take it and don't look back... ever. Yep a 400 on a 7D is going to over lens many situations. But its perfect for field sports with a 1d3 and then put your 70-200 on the 7D... Once I bought my 400, the 300 has ridden the pine most of the time. The images from a 400 2.8 are magic. They don't look the same as a 300 w/ a 1.4 tc. As any pro sports guy what their favorite lens is and most will tell you its a 400 2.8.

One SI shooter once told me, shoot tight when you think you're tight enough shoot tighter. If you think a 300 will do, shoot a 400, if you think a 400 is enough bring a 600....

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

The 300 would be an easier sell because it's less expensive. I also think it's the more versatile of the two if it's going to be your only long lens. Most versions of the 300 f/2.8 work very well with an extender, so that gives you 420mm at f/4, which is great for outdoor sports. Indoors, the 300 is a great lens for basketball (downcourt action), whereas the 400 would be too long.

I don't find a 400 too long for field sports, and in fact, in good light, I throw an extender on the 400, which offers nice reach from the end zone or anywhere far enough from the action. But again, the 300 can work for you and I think you'll get more use out of it. If your wages depended on tight action shots from field sports, you'd need a 400. Until you're in that position, you can get by without it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

Depending on the age of your current laptop, what you need is a good portable computer for college that is light given all the books you might be lugging around campus. You mother most likely recognizes this as a priority and is attempting to position you for entering college.

Having said that, then there is what you want. Depending on the sport, the demand for reach can vary significantly. You see a lot of 2-body rigs at events, the 70-200 on one and a 300/400 on the other. Personally, I would recommend the same as Russ, ask for the 300 2.8 non-IS to cut down on your mother's discretionary expenses and allow some of it to amass for upcoming college which by the way IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PRIORITY.

Feb 25, 2014 at 07:43 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

schlotz wrote:
Depending on the age of your current laptop, what you need is a good portable computer for college that is light given all the books you might be lugging around campus. You mother most likely recognizes this as a priority and is attempting to position you for entering college.

Having said that, then there is what you want. Depending on the sport, the demand for reach can vary significantly. You see a lot of 2-body rigs at events, the 70-200 on one and a 300/400 on the other. Personally, I would recommend the same as Russ, ask for the 300
...Show more

My laptop is pretty much a desktop, the battery doesn't charge so it needs to be plugged in. But 'm going to keep it and use it for exclusively editing photos and instead buy a chrome book for college. It's pretty much everything I need for college. It has a word processor, chrome, it's light, and it's great on a college budget.

I wish I could keep my 7D while I get a 1D III, but I'm looking to do a trade, 7D and cash or I'm trying to throw in a 430EX II for a 1D III. I did at one point have a 1D II and my 7D. It was great for sports because I borrowed a 300 f/4 from a friend and used it for soccer. I'm not exactly sure how I liked it though. It was too short sometimes and too long sometimes. Maybe it's just I wasn't used to switching between bodies. I only had it for about 3 games before I sold it because I didn't need it as much as cash at the time, but I loved the 1D series and the APS-H sensors.

As for cutting down on my mothers budget, she wouldn't be quite as sad for me getting it as my step dad as he is currently trying to convince my mom to let him get a new truck.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:23 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8

schlotz wrote:
Having said that, then there is what you want. Depending on the sport, the demand for reach can vary significantly. You see a lot of 2-body rigs at events, the 70-200 on one and a 300/400 on the other. Personally, I would recommend the same as Russ, ask for the 300 2.8 non-IS to cut down on your mother's discretionary expenses and allow some of it to amass for upcoming college which by the way IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PRIORITY.

I'll agree, you'll get plenty of good shots with a 300 2.8

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:53 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.