Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              42      
       44       end

Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.43 #1 · p.43 #1 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

All I can say to anyone really, is look at the Fuji images thread.

Tons of amazing shots in there, from people that seem to really enjoy their cameras.

If all someone can see though, instead of colorful, vibrant and dynamics captures of the world around us is a bunch of pixels to obsess over, they are just missing the point.

Guys like Lloyd can sit in front of their monitors all day and obsess til their last breathes about some minute little faults of any given camera or lens, and people can happily hand over their money to read his complaints, but just seems like a waste of time (and money)

I'd suggest instead finding a camera you enjoy shooting, and going out and taking some pictures. Doesn't have to be a Fuji mind you, but just get away from the darn PC screen, and test shots, and 100% views in PS, and just go take some pictures.

Being a photographer isn't sitting around and discussing/arguing over RAW conversion for the 100th time this year.

Put the darn camera on JPEG if you have to, but just go out and shoot something.

You just might surprise yourself and find nearly all these "big things" we discuss so obsessively day in and day out around here really don't seem quite some important, or at least I hope you won't.

I don't think any of us first wanted to pick up a camera just we would have a reason to sit around and talk about demosiacing algo's with a bunch of other obsessive dudes on the internet, right ?

I don't think we bought our first lens so we could take pictures of newspapers or have 10 page arguments with strangers on the internet about LoCa, rendering style etc.

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:27 AM
buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.43 #2 · p.43 #2 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Amen!

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:30 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.43 #3 · p.43 #3 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

I agree, but to be fair, it IS the nature of this forum.

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:33 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.43 #4 · p.43 #4 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Spyro P. wrote:
I agree, but to be fair, it IS the nature of this forum.

Really, people come to gear forums to talk about gear. Is it a huge surprise when said gear discussions take place? If so, why?

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:43 AM
Tom Conte
• • • •
p.43 #5 · p.43 #5 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Interesting reading here

That should quiet all those who said Fuji put the VF "pentaprism" hump on the X-T1 just to look cool.

I'm honestly amazed at how much engineering went into the EVF.

Tom

Mar 23, 2014 at 05:06 PM
Tike71

p.43 #6 · p.43 #6 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

For those wonder what's going on with Canadian orders, there's going to be an indefinite delay.

http://www.echenique.com/2014/03/17/canadian-x-t1-shipments-delayed-due-to-trucker-strike/

Mar 23, 2014 at 07:15 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.43 #7 · p.43 #7 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Nobber question here

Just got an XT1, took some raw shots and LR5 or CS5 won't read them!

What do I do?

Thanks!

Phil

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:21 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.43 #8 · p.43 #8 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

jojomon11 wrote:
Nobber question here

Just got an XT1, took some raw shots and LR5 or CS5 won't read them!

What do I do?

Thanks!

Phil

Right now the only Adobe option for direct processing is PS CS6 or CC with ACR 8.4RC. LR5 should be updated soon with support, CS5 is no longer receiving updates.

You can get the RC of DNG Converter 8.4 and convert to DNG and then processing LR5 or CS5 for now.

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:28 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.43 #9 · p.43 #9 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Thanks Mawz appreciate the info!

Phil

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:33 AM
trueimage
• • •
p.43 #10 · p.43 #10 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Hi, anyone care to share their default (in camera) jpeg settings? Since I use LR mostly and RAW in there seems to not work so well, I'm going to try to tweak my jpegs

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

doowop42
• •
p.43 #11 · p.43 #11 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

LR is not set up for RAW files from this camera.

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:59 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.43 #12 · p.43 #12 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

rattymouse wrote:
Really, people come to gear forums to talk about gear. Is it a huge surprise when said gear discussions take place? If so, why?

Gear talk is fine and good, its fun to talk about cameras, just like its fun talking about cars, guitar amps etc.

Understanding one's equipment and how to get the best out of it is an important part of photography. Knowing for example that maybe stopping down to f22 on a small sensor isn't going to provide very sharp results is useful. A simple "photo 101" rule of thumb that you stop down for improved sharpness/landscapes only holds true to a point and can take taken too far. A good photographer should have a decent working knowledge of their equipment, how it works, and be able to explain why they are using either the gear, or the settings they have selected for a specific purpose.

Its easy to take it a bit too far though and forget what you bought that gear for in the first place, to take photos.

Its no different than some bands I've played in. Some guys get so wrapped up in all their effects pedals, different amps etc, that they'd spend all afternoon messing with settings, swapping around pedal order, trying different cabinets etc that zero actual practice or music got played.

The quest for the perfect tone makes one forget about actually playing/writing a song. Same thing with gear threads... its easy to get so caught up in the gear that you actually don't go out and use it.

Its like you buy one lens, say an old Hexon, and instead of spending time out taking pictures, which should be why you got it in the first place, you instead spend your shooting time on forums talking ABOUT the lens, searching Ebay for more focal lengths etc.

Its like this need comes over you that you now need to have a full "kit" of Hexon's, and about the only images you take are OF your lens, to show off online your proud collection, and maybe that ultra rare 60mm focal length hardly anyone has etc

Gear becomes the hobby instead of photography. Gear goes from being a means to an end for producing photography to being the only thing that matters.

We can post more times a day here than we take pictures a day for crying out loud.

I simply think we all can use some balance and perspective to remind us that being a "photographer" means more than chatting in online forums with a bunch of guys, searching Ebay, and having UPS drop a package of from B&H once a week

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:59 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.43 #13 · p.43 #13 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Photography and music gear talk is not that bad considering the complexity, I've seen people arguing for days over kitchen knives, screwdrivers and flashlight batteries.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.43 #14 · p.43 #14 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Spyro P. wrote:
Photography and music gear talk is not that bad considering the complexity, I've seen people arguing for days over kitchen knives, screwdrivers and flashlight batteries.

Likely some people's hobby is simply arguing. Doesn't matter about what, they simply look for a given opposing viewpoint and proceed to explain why its "wrong"

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.43 #15 · p.43 #15 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Fortunately some things just ARE and you can count on them. Like my Martin D42. Each and every time I pick it up and play it it is the same sweet deep rich sound I heard the last time I played it. I can COUNT on it and when I play for others their comments are "wow that is one sweet sounding instrument". Sadly I don't happen to see photography equipment the same. Some delivers and other not quite and others not at all. Knowing what you're objective is helps a lot, then going for the right combo of body and lenses. This is ALL assuming you know what you're doing in the first place. If not all is lost.....

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:38 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.43 #16 · p.43 #16 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

millsart wrote:
Gear talk is fine and good, its fun to talk about cameras, just like its fun talking about cars, guitar amps etc.

Understanding one's equipment and how to get the best out of it is an important part of photography. Knowing for example that maybe stopping down to f22 on a small sensor isn't going to provide very sharp results is useful. A simple "photo 101" rule of thumb that you stop down for improved sharpness/landscapes only holds true to a point and can take taken too far. A good photographer should have a decent working knowledge of their equipment, how
...Show more

I don't think you will find many that disagree with this point of view. I see a lot or people that post/discuss/argue here also contributing to the Fuji image thread, and frankly that is quite nice IMO. It is a GEAR forum after all, and personally I don't think this forum is so bad in terms of gear obsession. Not as bad as it could be. On the Canon forum there is an individual who owns thousands of dollars worth of Canon big whites and the latest ~6K 1D camera, and consistently generates accolades from his fellow "photographers" regarding his ability to shoot pigeons and ducks at the local urban pond/park. All the while there are some real wildlife photographers actively contributing in the nature forum. Now that is some serious distortion, IMO, but I seem to be part of the minority with this opinion.

Returning to Fuji, it is an undeniable fact that X-trans processing is a little more challenging than the standard bayer sensor. So a little pixel peeping does seem to be warranted and is useful, at least to me. There are new algorithms for X-trans raw conversion and it would behoove the serous photographer to be aware of the various strengths and weakness of the raw processors available.

I would not like to forget about taking pictures and solely come here for 100% crops and x-trans arguments. However, I would like to get the most out of the shots that I do take, and that requires some experimentation especially with x-trans. Hopefully posting crops and examples will help others and generate useful discussion as well.

As for acquisition obsession, I does not help that Fuji has had great sale prices lately. Coming from Canon, and the absurdly priced lenses that I have already bought (or could buy), these Fuji prices make me feel like a kid in a candy store- or like a Californian buying a house in Colorado.

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:58 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.43 #17 · p.43 #17 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Sorry, unrelated
do we have any battery grip clones yet?

Mar 31, 2014 at 04:28 AM
Kelvin K
• • • •
p.43 #18 · p.43 #18 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

XT-1 re-ignited my interest in photography, this is what I can sum up.

Started with Canon D60 (not all you can remember this DSLR) some 13 years ago & stuck with this hobby since. But this interest slowly subside due to personal reason. Part of it I just dislike carry the weight of my DSLR plus lenses around. Then XT-1 caught my eyes. So I jump ship. Two weeks into XT-1, I am now willing to sell all my Canon system that I've collected over the years.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:21 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.43 #19 · p.43 #19 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Kelvin K wrote:
XT-1 re-ignited my interest in photography, this is what I can sum up.

Started with Canon D60 (not all you can remember this DSLR) some 13 years ago & stuck with this hobby since. But this interest slowly subside due to personal reason. Part of it I just dislike carry the weight of my DSLR plus lenses around. Then XT-1 caught my eyes. So I jump ship. Two weeks into XT-1, I am now willing to sell all my Canon system that I've collected over the years.

I knew this day would come for me too. Been a long time Canon shooter and I thought the Sony A7r would make me sell off my big gear. I love the Sony, but recently got the X-T1 and I can't put it down. It's simply such a fun camera to use and as galenpass stated, the lenses are so inexpensive compared to Canon. Well two weeks ago, I sold off all my Canon gear except a few Zeiss ZEs that I'm keeping for the Sony and I'm not looking back!

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:59 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.43 #20 · p.43 #20 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Capture One raw support for the X-T1 is available today.

Alan

Mar 31, 2014 at 06:15 PM
       44       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

44       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password