1       2      
       4              43       44       end

Archive 2014 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

FlyPenFly wrote:
Chances are, I'll probably impulse buy a T-1 or A-1 at some point this year simply to use the Fuji 14mm.

I did just that with the X-A1 to give the 23/1.4 a try (which I"m waiting on right now). What shocked me is that it's actually a pretty decent little camera...and the cheap, plastic fantastic zoom turned out to be a decent performer. Seems like a steal at the current prices and for some, the files from it will be superior to those from any other current X-series camera.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:45 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

TMaG82 wrote:
Are you going to get the vertical grip or the hand grip that adds the Arca plate? Myself I'm getting the 2nd one, the built-in grip feels nice but after using the E-M1, it doesn't feel as robust. I wear a S-M size glove but even with the E-M1 handling was much improved after I got the RRS L-Plate and it added a few extra cm on the bottom, I have no doubt that the hand grip will do the same.

I think the vertical grip as I'm not really a tripod person. Might as well have the other shutter button.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:56 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

The auto ISO mode lets you select minimum shutter speed on this camera, correct?

That seems like it would make the locking ISO dial a bit of a non-issue since you could automate that instead of rising the dial up and down manually.

I agree it would be nice to have the choice if it locked or not, however, I can't really say I've ever felt the need to adjust ISO so much that a lock would really slow me down that much. I'm used to ISO being in a menu, so if anything, just pressing a lock button and spinning a dial seems like a nice improvement.

I'm kind of old school though changing ISO like I would film speed, changing it when I go from day to night or indoor shooting typically, unless I'm using auto ISO of course.

I'll have to try it on the camera of course, but I just don't really see it as being the big deal I've been seeing some reviewers make it out to be

Same thing regarding the EC dial being too stuff. I remember on previous X cameras everyone complained it wasn't stiff enough and got accidentally moved all the time. I recall post about putting a rubber band under it to kept it from turning.

This again just isn't a control I find myself adjusting on a shot my shot basis though. Generally Fuji metering is pretty good, and maybe I'll dial a little plus or minus depending if I'm out on a bright day or what not.

One feature I do wish the camera had was EC in manual mode w/ auto ISO like the Sonys. That turned out to be a pretty nice way of shooting

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

millsart wrote:
The auto ISO mode lets you select minimum shutter speed on this camera, correct?

That seems like it would make the locking ISO dial a bit of a non-issue since you could automate that instead of rising the dial up and down manually.

I agree it would be nice to have the choice if it locked or not, however, I can't really say I've ever felt the need to adjust ISO so much that a lock would really slow me down that much. I'm used to ISO being in a menu, so if anything, just pressing a lock button and spinning a
...Show more

The problem with the minimum shutter speed (X-T1 only) is that you can only set one minimum speed and have to go menu diving to change the minimum. With my X-Pro1 I'm constantly shifting from 1/60th (if I'm shooting a still scene) to 1/500th minimum (for a dynamic scene). Hopefully Fuji will update the X-T1 firmware to allow quickly changing the Auto-ISO minimum shutter speed in the Q-menu.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Dave McGaughey wrote:
The problem with the minimum shutter speed (X-T1 only) is that you can only set one minimum speed and have to go menu diving to change the minimum. With my X-Pro1 I'm constantly shifting from 1/60th (if I'm shooting a still scene) to 1/500th minimum (for a dynamic scene). Hopefully Fuji will update the X-T1 firmware to allow quickly changing the Auto-ISO minimum shutter speed in the Q-menu.

Would perhaps be a cool idea to have one of the Fn buttons able to work as an A/B toggle for auto ISO settings, or just ISO settings etc

That way you could have a slower, low ISO settings for best IQ for static scenes like a cityscape, and then if there was someone moving, hit a button, perhaps the one on the front of the camera, and switch to a faster setting to freeze the action.

Seems like a good idea to me and I'll even let Fuji use it free of charge

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I did just that with the X-A1 to give the 23/1.4 a try (which I"m waiting on right now). What shocked me is that it's actually a pretty decent little camera...and the cheap, plastic fantastic zoom turned out to be a decent performer. Seems like a steal at the current prices and for some, the files from it will be superior to those from any other current X-series camera.

As an X-A1 owner, I'd have to agree.

I miss the finder with the 60, but it's just fine with the 18. I've not mounted the 16-50 since I got the two primes (but I'm sure I will, I want that extra 2mm at the wide end sometimes).

For the 23, I'd suggest adding the handgrip to improve the handling, the 23's a little big on the X-A1 (but not too heavy).

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

millsart wrote:
Would perhaps be a cool idea to have one of the Fn buttons able to work as an A/B toggle for auto ISO settings, or just ISO settings etc

That way you could have a slower, low ISO settings for best IQ for static scenes like a cityscape, and then if there was someone moving, hit a button, perhaps the one on the front of the camera, and switch to a faster setting to freeze the action.

Seems like a good idea to me and I'll even let Fuji use it free of charge

Olympus has that on all their cameras through MySettings. It lets you tie any button to a quick switch of all settings or you can even tie mode settings. For example, I have the "story" mode tied to something actually useful, it's my tripod mode where it locks in anti-shock, manual base iso, etc

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

TMaG82 wrote:
But as I stated I could see a lot more keepers with the X-T1 because I feel like I'll have to be a little more deliberate in terms of what I take pictures of. No more slamming on the shutter but more time spent on composition and getting exposure right the first time.

I agree with this. While the RX1 occasionally did feel too slow, overall I found that I would come home with a high number of keepers, out of less overall shots.

With the EM1 I always had a habit of kind of pressing the shutting right as I brought the camera to my eye, since the AF was so quick to lock, but the thing was, the framing and overall composition wasn't always ideal. Maybe an advantage for some candids but resulted in lots of shots that ended up getting deleted.

With the RX1 I'd usually work pretty slowly, composing the frame carefully, and taking one or two shots, which usually ended up being keepers when editing back at home.

I'd come home from a week long Caribbean vacation with just about 400 images taken the whole trip, but they were all pretty decent. With some faster cameras I'd take 400 in a single day.

Being totally honest, I'd sometimes just set the camera (EM2) to bracket everything so I didn't have to worry about getting the exposure right. Its so quick to shoot 3 frames of I seemed like less to worry about on the fly. Get home though and you've got all these shots to wade though and usually the middle exposure was the correct one anyways.

This isn't to say I want a slow camera, I do value responsiveness, and the RX1 actually was amazing responsive with zero shutter lag, so as far as timing went it was great, but you had to purposely plan to take a photo.

EM1 I could just raise up without even looking and it would lock onto something and fire a few frames. Darn quick and responsive, but it didn't really do anything to improve my photography.

RX1, despite some faults, gave me some of my best images in years, though it did require me to work a little harder to get, to actually feel a little more a part of the photography process rather than just being there.

Made me feel a bit like a photographer using a tool, rather than a guy pushing a button. Don't get me wrong, sometimes button pushing it great, for social stuff etc. Other times though, its fun to work with a tool. NOT fight a tool mind you, and Fuji cameras seem to walk that line nicely. Being both easy to use, but also having enough controls and an interface that makes you feel a part of the picture taking process.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Olympus has that on all their cameras through MySettings. It lets you tie any button to a quick switch of all settings or you can even tie mode settings. For example, I have the "story" mode tied to something actually useful, it's my tripod mode where it locks in anti-shock, manual base iso, etc

Thats pretty cool! Having owned the EP3, EP5, EM5, EM1 and now EPL5 (which I actually haven't even opened yet lol) I'm surprised I didn't know that.

I knew they had the My Settings options, but I always thought they were like typical custom settings modes on most cameras where you had to go into the menu to select them, or turn the mode dial.

Pretty sweet if you could have it set to an easy to access button you can activate on the fly while shooting. I mean I guess one could turn a mode dial with the camera to your eye and all, but it wouldn't be that easy....

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Mmm I don't know about a camera being slower improving your photography. I think everyone should practice good shot discipline. Ming Thein wrote a great blog post about it.

To me, a camera/lens should be like a really great chef's knife. Fast, accurate, precise and doesn't make me work for it so I can focus 100% of my mental faculties on nailing my shot.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

I use Auto ISO easily by setting different minimums to my custom settings. c1 is 1/60, C2 is 1/125 and so on. I then assign a function button to my custom settings list and it makes it incredibly easy to change minimum shutter speed. I do use Auto ISO more often than not now that we can set shutter speed, so the ISO dial lock isn't a big deal, but I thought it worth mentioning. It's still a little better than having it button assigned in my opinion.

Dave McGaughey wrote:

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

JMAN13 - you can assign one of the 6 FN buttons to AutoISO change.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Here is my first pic with my X-T1. I was at work when it arrived so here's Lucky, the Post Office cat. I took the pic using the 18-55mm and the bundled EF-X8 flash and it works fine!

Only problem was that there was no USB cable in my box so I had to wifi the jpg to my ipod then email it to the PC. So this is a SOOC jpg. Pretty good!

First Fujifilm x-t1 photo by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

FlyPenFly wrote:
Mmm I don't know about a camera being slower improving your photography. I think everyone should practice good shot discipline. Ming Thein wrote a great blog post about it.

To me, a camera/lens should be like a really great chef's knife. Fast, accurate, precise and doesn't make me work for it so I can focus 100% of my mental faculties on nailing my shot.

I'm much like millsart, I would take a lot of unnecessary shots simply because I could. I would use bracketing to get 3 or 5 shots at 2 EV, and have a ton of shots that I didn't need. I would go out shooting for a weekend, come back with 300-900 shots, go through them, only to realize that more than half ended up being deleted. And despite the fast AF of the E-M1, I still had a lot of motion blur and missed focus.

I'll know more when I have the day off of work tomorrow and can do some day time shooting, but so far so good. I do miss the ultra fast responsiveness of the E-M1, but if shooting with the 'slower' X-T1 means I come back with 50 shots and 35 of them are keepers, it'll be better for me that taking 500 shots and only half of them are keepers. Because we all know that out of the keepers, there's another section of keeper keepers. The frame worthy type.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

millsart wrote:
With the RX1 I'd usually work pretty slowly, composing the frame carefully, and taking one or two shots, which usually ended up being keepers when editing back at home.
This isn't to say I want a slow camera, I do value responsiveness, and the RX1 actually was amazing responsive with zero shutter lag, so as far as timing went it was great, but you had to purposely plan to take a photo.
RX1, despite some faults, gave me some of my best images in years, though it did require me to work a little harder to get, to actually feel a
...Show more

+100 on those comments re: RX1. I get the same thing now with the A7R due to the huge file sizes that I know I'll have to wade through when I get home...

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

TMaG82 wrote:
I'm much like millsart, I would take a lot of unnecessary shots simply because I could. I would use bracketing to get 3 or 5 shots at 2 EV, and have a ton of shots that I didn't need. I would go out shooting for a weekend, come back with 300-900 shots, go through them, only to realize that more than half ended up being deleted. And despite the fast AF of the E-M1, I still had a lot of motion blur and missed focus.

I'll know more when I have the day off of work tomorrow and can do
...Show more

That's interesting, I simply don't shoot that much with any camera, even the E-M1 simply because I don't want to wade through all the files when I do PP at home. I try to get 1 or 2 exposures just right and liberally delete in camera.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

We're probably sitting hairs between the X-T1 and E-M1 in responsiveness, so let's not get too carried away. The X-T1 is certainly a responsive camera IMO.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Yeah I too was a enthusiastic EM1 owner but do NOT feel in ANY way the EM1 is faster. In fact in less than ideal light the T1 trounces it for speed as at least it WILL focus in near no light, the EM1 just cycled and quite on me.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

mawz wrote:
As an X-A1 owner, I'd have to agree.

I miss the finder with the 60, but it's just fine with the 18. I've not mounted the 16-50 since I got the two primes (but I'm sure I will, I want that extra 2mm at the wide end sometimes).

For the 23, I'd suggest adding the handgrip to improve the handling, the 23's a little big on the X-A1 (but not too heavy).

I will be going "exotic" with a huge loupe for a finder that attaches magnetically to the the rear of the LCD when used. I bought the X-A1 for the tilt screen to allow for waist/ chest level shooting. When shooting like that, I always cradle the lens/camera (mostly just the lens) in my left hand and use the right to operate the controls.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

traveler wrote:
Yeah I too was a enthusiastic EM1 owner but do NOT feel in ANY way the EM1 is faster. In fact in less than ideal light the T1 trounces it for speed as at least it WILL focus in near no light, the EM1 just cycled and quite on me.

It sounds like you're an enthusiastic anything owner if you happen to have purchased it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.