New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              43       44       end

Archive 2014 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Figured I'd start a rolling impressions thread for the week I have the X-T1. Just arrived about 20 minutes ago. Very first impressions are that it definitely feels like the most solid Fuji camera I've picked up, and the grip feels wonderful in my hand. I can see people with larger hands wanting a bit more to hold on to, but it feels fantastic for me. The rubber used is really nice...grippy without being sticky. The dials are larger than the ones on the X-E2, and they feel fine, though the shutter speed dial feels nicer on the X-E1/2 to be honest, though this one works fine...the detents are a little less firm than the X-E2, though.

I get the reason for the locking ISO dial, but I do wish it was a pushbutton lock (lock on, lock off) rather than a constant push, as if you need to switch to the opposite side of the dial, it can be a little fiddly. One really nice thing with the dial, though, is that if you are shooting RAW and switch it to H1 or H2 for the super high ISOs, it'll put you in large fine JPEG, and switch you back to RAW when you go to 6400 or below. While not as good as actually letting us SHOOT RAW at those ISOs, at least you don't need to switch to JPEG to enable the ISOs, then select them, then switch back to RAW when you're done.

The Viewfinder is truly huge, and there's no visible tearing and such. Since there's been some spread, I'm not quite sure if it's as good, better or slightly worse than the E-M1's viewfinder, since I don't have them side by side, though first impressions are that it's at least as good if not a little better. It definitely seems bigger, and probably a little more contrasty. I haven't used it in low light or outdoors yet, though. The dual view mode is interesting and works well, though your main view is a lot smaller then (though still about as big as an APS-C DSLR's view). The dual view works really well with the split image focusing aid...makes that aid more useful to my eye, since you have the color info and framing on the main view on the left.

AF seems to catch the phase detection pixels more often than on the X-E2...at least that's my very first impression...focus was really snappy in the very limited time I've used it so far. I'll of course put that more through its paces.

The tilt/flip screen is very sturdy and probably the most solid feeling tilt screen I've used. It also sits flush with the camera when closed so I actually forgot it tilted when I first started looking at it. It's very rigid, though, with absolutely no flex.

The buttons are 'ok' feeling, except for the menu and four-way buttons, which are a notable step down in feel from the other Fuji cameras...likely due to weather sealing. They really are quite mushy and give very little tactile feedback. The switches under the dials that change drive mode and metering are ok. They're solid, but perhaps a bit too stiff...they're hard to change easily. I also hate the placement of the top deck Fn button...it's in the wrong spot compared to other Fuji cameras, but it's also hard to reach between the two dials. Since the EC dial is now on top and not recessed into the deck, that Fn button is harder to reach...you have to arch your finger over the dial and press it.

Overall, though, the ergonomics are pretty nice. I have to get used to some of the button placements (the one on the front by the grip is easy to access, but potentially easy to depress accidentally, but we'll see how it is in use).

It'll take a little more time to get used to it, but overall I think I like it on first glance. The SD card door that people have made a big deal of does feel a little flimsy when opened, but it doesn't accidentally open...it opens when you want it to open and that's it.

EDIT 3/3/14: My full review is now up: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-x-t1/

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 11:44 PM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

good stuff, thanks

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

How fast does the EVF "adjust" to a dark/bright scene? When waking up my X-Pro1 in EVF mode, the camera would turn on fairly quickly, but then the EVF would need about 2 seconds to gain up (or down) in dark or bright scenes.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Cool, is the EVF LCD or OLED?

I'm curious how you think it performs in bright daylight. It's the most likely scenario I would use an EVF and also the most challenging scenario for OLEDs. I find OLEDs crush blacks and it's hard to make out subtle gradations.

Very interesting to hear your impressions Jordan, thanks for the rolling update.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Thanks, Jordan. Your feelings about the buttons match up with mine.

I used an xt1 over the weekend and I'm fairly impressed. It's just a pleasurable camera to use.

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:07 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

The first day (last Thursday) that I had my X-T1 I also noted the D Pad buttons were not as protruding as the EM1 I just sold. However having had it several days now I can say without hesitation you get used to it. I can now see their logic of having most buttons on the back quite recessed. You have to WANT to activate them and not by accident, which in the end isn't a bad thing. The viewfiinder is OLED by the way. I had it out in bright high altitude sun yesterday and experienced nothing but joy. Used my circular polarizer on it and interestingly enough, on the EM1 I couldn't see the changes while on this one I DO so it's a step up in that regard. It was kind of nice to just reach over and crank a notch or two of exposure compensation without having to activate another button.

Like I said if you have it and work with it for a few days it becomes 2nd nature. I was truly impressed (as I had some reservations) with the high speed focus. In my case I just switched on the CH on the lower left dial, and set my center focus point one size up from the smallest, and shot away at fast moving vehicles and runners and kids playing outside. I reviewed the shots to find that each and every one was perfectly in focus. I frankly did NOT expect that due to some negative comments from several forum folks around. But it sure does the job. I just track the subject in the center focus box and it's done. I have become addicted to using PhotoNinja as the RAW processor of choice. Their latest version for Fuji not only has the best highlight accuracy of the bunch but presents color and sharpness as it should be. You can really dial in surgical detail without artifacts. So I'm hooked. I charged the battery it's initial time on Thursday and have been shooting ever since. The battery meter hasn't moved yet, so I'm happy with the battery life for sure. For me this was no question the right move.

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

About the EVF. It's an OLED EVF, and if you're shooting in extreme conditions (into the sun with shadow areas too) it'll crush the blacks, but in normal bright daylight it's got pretty good DR, and the highlights a shadows are pretty well held. I shot for a bit at lunch and it's a bright sunny day here. It performed very well. One of the easier EVFs to use in bright sunlight. The eyecup blocks light fairly well and with the EVF brightness up, the view was plenty bright and clear.

Auto gain does still take a second or so moving from vastly different exposure areas (inside my shaded car to immediately shooting outside). In practice I've never really had an issue with this, though.

That front button placement is going to annoy me, though. I accidentally hit it about 5 times. Ive got it set to AF point selection, so it's not a huge deal if activated, but it should be move a little further away.

I also found the EC dial harder to use with my eye to the viewfinder than on the X-E2. It sits higher and is rather stiff. I may get used to it, but I prefer the X-E2's position here.

I do feel it might be really hard to go back to the X-E2's viewfinder after using this for a week...it's just such a nice big view.

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:24 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

traveler wrote:
The first day (last Thursday) that I had my X-T1 I also noted the D Pad buttons were not as protruding as the EM1 I just sold. However having had it several days now I can say without hesitation you get used to it. I can now see their logic of having most buttons on the back quite recessed. You have to WANT to activate them and not by accident, which in the end isn't a bad thing. The viewfiinder is OLED by the way. I had it out in bright high altitude sun yesterday and experienced nothing but joy.
...Show more

A bit off topic but I'll 2nd the vote of confidence for PN (using X-E2 raw files).

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:30 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

That's dissapointing to hear it's OLED, after the NEX-7 OLED EVF, I've kind of sworn them off but maybe the technology is better now with more dynamic range in the blacks.

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

What about setting a low contrast shooting profile to get a wider tonal range representation, assuming of course you're shooting raw and will tweak in post?

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

In my opinion it is far better than the NEX 7 EVF in that department.

FlyPenFly wrote:
That's dissapointing to hear it's OLED, after the NEX-7 OLED EVF, I've kind of sworn them off but maybe the technology is better now with more dynamic range in the blacks.

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Thanks for the feedback Jordan. Really appreciate you sharing your experiences on this (and other) cameras.

Edited on Feb 24, 2014 at 03:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:59 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

FlyPenFly wrote:

All the 2.36M EVF's use the same basic OLED panel, only difference is the optics and the processing.

The DR of the NEX-7's EVF was just fine, the problem was it used the currently selected JPEG settings for the processing, using Neutral with -3 contrast solved pretty much all the issues. The NEX-6 and later Sony bodies use better optimized processing settings for the EVF to get a suggestion of the selected JPEG settings without crushing the DR.

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:05 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

I actually did adjust the JPEG settings to be less crushed on my Nex-7 and while it helped, it didn't look nearly as good normal LCD EVFs.

I'm generally pretty skeptical of OLED screens on EVF's and main displays. I used an OLED screen on a phone for a while too. While the main scree OLED on the E-M5 is decent, I prefer the normal LCDs on Panasonic and the newer generation of Olympus cameras.

In general, I find OLEDs give rich dark blacks and high saturation but at the expense of real detail and subtle gradations. It's most obvious in harsh days with the sun directly overhead and indoors with bright point light sources and a dark background (like a candle indoors).

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:29 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Question about X-T1 and continuous shooting/AF tracking: How does the EVF respond to a sustained 8fps burst? Does it continue with a smooth, realtime feed or does it become choppy, laggy or blackout? My last EVF and action photography experience was a Sony a77 demo at a soccer game and it was very choppy during sequences and essentially verified why I needed an OVF for sports photography. But that was a couple years ago...

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:43 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

rscheffler wrote:
Question about X-T1 and continuous shooting/AF tracking: How does the EVF respond to a sustained 8fps burst? Does it continue with a smooth, realtime feed or does it become choppy, laggy or blackout? My last EVF and action photography experience was a Sony a77 demo at a soccer game and it was very choppy during sequences and essentially verified why I needed an OVF for sports photography. But that was a couple years ago...

It can be choppy at high FPS shooting when you're trying to keep the subject in the frame during movement.

Feb 24, 2014 at 03:57 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

Wait... What?? You can't shoot in RAW above ISO 6400??

Feb 24, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

All Fuji cameras are this way for some reason. You can, of course, shoot 6400 and underexposed, which is what the high ISOs do anyway.
Paulthelefty wrote:
Wait... What?? You can't shoot in RAW above ISO 6400??

Feb 24, 2014 at 06:28 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

I shot with the camera quite a bit more this evening. (I'll post some examples later tonight).

In all, I really like it. It's very comfortable to hold, and the EVF is just fantastic. After using it a bit more, it may just be the best on the market. The build is notably more solid than the other X cameras...it feels like a very serious machine when you pick it up.

It isn't perfect, though...I accidentally hit that front function button so much that I assigned it to Aperture Control. Which essentially renders the button 'off' unless I am using a lens without an aperture ring. The placement of that top function button is truly terrible too, though thankfully neither is that big of a deal since there are so many direct controls...you don't really need them very much.

I also don't like the EC dial as much as the X-E cameras...though I have figured out a way to easily turn it using both my thumb and index finger with my eye to the camera. I have very stubby thumbs, though, so this may not be an issue for those with normal thumbs.

I am adjusting to the differences quickly though, and in my shoot today, the camera just sort of melted into the background, with just the direct controls and that giant view to the images....which is pretty high praise for me, especially only a half a day into using it.

My wallet might not like this review.

Feb 24, 2014 at 06:43 PM
albuht813

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X-T1 Rolling Impressions

I'm really excited about this camera. Hope to get some more opinions on this as they become widely available.

Feb 24, 2014 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.