Deadline: September 1st noon UTC/GMT

MA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · #118 Ancient

teked
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #118 Ancient

Just returned from a month in Costa Rica. One of my most memorable experiences was an encounter with a family near the casa we rented. My wife and I stopped to have lunch at a small rancho (hut) that was operated by Carlos and Elina. Although we shared no common language, we were some how able to communicate surprisingly well. He noticed I was carrying some of my camera gear, and proceeded to give us a personal tour of his acreage, which included a beautiful waterfall, and a myriad of tropical trees, and plants. He then began to bring out some ancient pottery that was unearthed on his property. His son, David is an archaeologist. The pottery they discovered dates back more than one thousand years. Here is an example of one of the items in the collection. During our stay we had the opportunity to meet numerous Tico people. They are truly some of the most kind, and gracious people I have ever encountered.

Pura Vida!
Ed

Ancient Costa Rican Pottery

Feb 23, 2014 at 06:46 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #118 Ancient

Interesting story and a well photographed piece of history.
Nice submission.
Greg

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #118 Ancient

I agree with Greg..beautifully done Ed.

I was enroute to Costa Rica and was sitting next to a Tico, she invited me to stay with her and her family rather then hotel...rare these days to find such trusting and warm people.

Hope to see more of your images.

Carolyn

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:55 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #118 Ancient

Hi, Carolyn. Great story. They truly are a warm and happy people. I'm already making plans for a return. During our stay, I would take out a glass of 'aqua' to the gardener on each of his visits. On his last visit, he brought over 'pipas' (coconuts) for my wife and I, took a knife, carved a hole in the top, and provided straws. We then enjoyed the sweet liquid of this fruit. He wore a big smile as he watched.

By the way, I am going to do a post on Nature & Wildlife of some hummingbirds. Never saw such a variety. Very colorful.

Best,
Ed

Mar 01, 2014 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.