New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

I was looking back through a few snapshots of my daughter recently and noticed that in my quest to get eye-level with her, I've inadvertently been placing objects and the horizon behind her head - as seen in the images below.

What I'm curious to know is, do others prefer to have the horizon (or objects, such as the bridge in the second image) above or below their subjects head?

Thanks for any insight!

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

I think the important thing is to have a "clean" background. Something that doesn't distract from your subject. Sometimes you'll want the horizon above, other times below.

Feb 23, 2014 at 02:59 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

I struggled with this yesterday with a young child chasing bubbles and dealing with a lonnnggg row of lamp posts. You can't pose them and they are hell on wheels at times.

I struggle in particular at the beach. I just try to get higher or lower to lessen the distraction.

Image 1... step right and hide the building behind mom and would have gotten higher angle in hopes of making the water the background. But with such a little smurf you would have had to deal with the bank rising up so maybe being closer to the waters edge?

You are on the right track in image 3, with another step to the left eliminating the red distraction.

When in doubt create space between the subject and background, use a wide F Stop and bury the BG in excessive OOF/DOF. Keep moving left and to the right and you will discover a cleaner angle.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Classicxobsession

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

I actually often make the same mistake of cutting people's head in half with background objects or something sticking out. Only when I'm actively looking out for those, do I recompose to avoid that. However, most natural portraits are made on the go and I find that recomposing is not an option. As you did in your 3rd image, I try to blur out busy backgrounds if I can't avoid them.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

Yeah, do what you can with what's there. With some practice it becomes second nature, knowing when to get low and when to move up to eliminate the horizon. During your personal photography if you have to choose between capturing the moment and framing the shot, capture the moment. Every. Time. FWIW

Feb 24, 2014 at 04:00 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

Thanks all for the helpful info! It's encouraging to know I'm not alone with this as honestly, I'm a bit intimidated posting on this board as the level of skill here is FAR beyond mine.
Thanks again for the advice, it's well received!
jb

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:28 AM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few pics of my daughter and advice needed

I cannot add any more than what has been said except to say that you are lucky to have a nice daughter.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:35 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.