New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shutter failure?

sidefunk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter failure?

Was shotting this afternonn and my shutter made some weird noise and a large blacked out area appeared on the pic. Now the camera says "err" and only the mirror moves when the shutter release is pressed. I am assuming this is the dreaded shutter failure. What a shame . . . Fx here i come !! Although it really is a shame because it would have been nice to recoup some money on an upgrade.

Anyone have an experience like this?

Feb 22, 2014 at 08:19 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter failure?

If you have a dark area on the photo its the shutter. Contact Nikon as it may be worth putting in a new shutter. When you sell it, charge a bit more because it has a brand new shutter.

Feb 22, 2014 at 08:46 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter failure?

Yeah, guess I'll have to give them a call. Not getting my hopes up for them replacing it out of warranty even though the shutter is only half way to the 150000 mark.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter failure?

Why should Nikon replace the shutter for free when the body is out of warranty?

EBH

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter failure?

sidefunk wrote:
Yeah, guess I'll have to give them a call. Not getting my hopes up for them replacing it out of warranty even though the shutter is only half way to the 150000 mark.

as long as you realize testing results are not indicative of a warranty.

but in the end it will be Nikons decision

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter failure?

Shutter replacements are $250? Why complain?

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter failure?

The unplesantness of this forum never ceases to amaze me, its rather amusing in fact. Would just have been nice for the shutter to have lasted longer, don't you think. Unlike some here i don't have money to burn.

Feb 23, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter failure?

I'd be aggravated, too. A $250 repair of something rated to last longer is never a pleasant pill to swallow. And $250 is not an insignificant bit of change to many of us.

From what I've seen over the years more Nikon shutters exceed their rated life than not. Unfortunately, you got one that didn't and that's a pisser, for sure.

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:05 PM
baabbott
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter failure?

Oh well. One of my D700s has a power board failure out of warranty with less than 3000 on the shutter. Cost $595 to repair. "Expected" life is only 'mean' time before failure.

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shutter failure?

sidefunk wrote:
The unplesantness of this forum never ceases to amaze me, its rather amusing in fact. Would just have been nice for the shutter to have lasted longer, don't you think. Unlike some here i don't have money to burn.

not money to burn but i do build in the cost of possible maintenance it things when purchased and used post warranty. this is the possible price of doing business

i'm sorry that you find it unpleasant at times here on this forum. it can be highly educational. sometimes you don't exactly hear the things you want to hear. neither do i. but as things go
its a good place. i have no expectations here. this is the best for getting close to if not the proper info.

there have been many here that feel that not reaching the tested shutter actuations is a warranty issue. unfortunately it is not after the 1 year warranty is up but then there have been those where nikon has done the
work gratis.

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:38 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shutter failure?

sidefunk wrote:

I have to agree. Certain threads seem to have a nice community around them (for example the esteemed manual nikon glass mega thread) but I see many gratuitous negativisms which make me reluctant to participate - you never know when you will get shot down, whether or not you deserve it, which is too bad.

Feb 23, 2014 at 07:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shutter failure?

The camera is warranted on a time basis. If Nikon started warranties based on usage, some sports shooter would complain his shutter died in 9 months with 300,000 actuations and should be covered for 1 year.

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:10 AM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shutter failure?

Thank for everyone's "help." However my question was concerning anyone's experiences with a shutter failure not an education as to warranties.

I do think that this site is truly great. However, some of you just need to relax a little here in the Nikon forum. Go check out some other forums (like people or lighting) to see how an online forum community like this can be truly helpful.

Feb 24, 2014 at 08:18 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shutter failure?

sidefunk wrote:

now what exactly would you like to know on the subject of shutter failures?

Feb 24, 2014 at 08:24 AM
unangelino
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shutter failure?

Someone expressing the opinion that $250 is not a lot of money is not overtly unpleasant. Unpleasant is what describes pretty much every forum at DPR. Still, I would say that responses like that are non-responsive to the essence of your original post which asked for the experiences of other FMers.

Predicting the lifespan of shutters will always be a dicey business.

Mar 04, 2014 at 06:50 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shutter failure?

I would just explain to Nikon that the shutter fails prematurely (regardless of the warranty) and let them decide if you need to pay for the repair. Is their discretion. If yes, you have to decide if you want to pay for the repair or upgrading to a new body.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.