New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New/used camera gear price statistics

zlgragg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New/used camera gear price statistics

I'm not too sure how to ask this, but please allow me to give it a shot.
Does there exist somewhere - website, book, firm - where I can view records on statistics of camera equipment sale trends? I'm really looking to find when is the most critical price drop between average used prices for a piece of camera equipment, say a camera body, from point of introduction to present. Perhaps it is an average of 3 years that the used price decreases by 40%, the conjectured most significant price drop over the whole period of its life. Basically, at what time of a product's existence is it best to buy said product due to its percent reduction in price?

Feb 22, 2014 at 04:19 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New/used camera gear price statistics

That'd be a tough find and here's why...
Every lens/every body is different.
Was it upgraded, was it replaced, did a third party release something better/cheaper.
The "drop" would be predicated on timing of the above AND on a case by case basis.
It could be a matter of months, or several years ie: Nikon's D700. So, GL with that.

Feb 22, 2014 at 07:23 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New/used camera gear price statistics

True, but didn't someone here have a database like this (IIRC it was just for lenses, though), which was updated a few times a year/ was it jcolwell?

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:50 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New/used camera gear price statistics

I knew it, and here it is:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1232654/0?keyword=lens,database#11728984

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New/used camera gear price statistics

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the plug. The Lens Price Database, Lens$db, has been publiished three or four times per year, since 2006.

I think Will (trenchmonkey) is right, it depends on individual circumstances.

I've attached example price history graphs for five lenses, from March 2006 through January 2013.

You can read the tea leaves any way you want to, but it's clear that there's no one trend that fits all cases. The values of Canon lenses were greatly affected by the tsunami that hit Japan in March 2011. No wonder, it was a terrible natural disaster that had profound effects on all aspects of life in Japan.

After the direct effects of the tsunami began to fade, subsequent used lens prices either fell or continued to rise, depending on the lens. I think the reason that the prices of the "Mk I" versions of the 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS continued to rise is because their replacement Mk II lenses are so expensive, and the Mk I versions have stellar IQ. OTOH, the 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8L IS (Mk I) prices returned to more-or-less pre-tsunami levels. The 50/1.4 has no Mk II version, but the 70-200/2.8L IS II does, and it's quite expensive compared to the Mk I, yet its prices fell, too. In the case of the f/2.8 zoom, the Mk II has significant IQ advantages (for some users). and so proportionately more photographers 'upgraded', than for the super-telephotos, which offered the main advantage (IMO) of substantially reduced weight. It's easy to explain this away (and even convince yourself that you might actually be right), but there's no way that I'd hang my hat on the proposal that the behaviour of future prices can be accurately predicted by past prices. For some lenses, there is no "critical price drop" - the prices just keep rising. The longer you wait, the worser it gets...

I think the prices for the EOS 1DsIII, 1DIII, and 1DIV show similar behaviour, in that it would not have been too easy to predict what happened. The prices of the 1DsIII and 1DIII rapidly fell after the introduction of their "replacements" (1DX and 1DIV), yet the 1DIV prices remain relatively strong after the 1DX. I expect that this is because many people like to have a 1.3x CF 1D-series body, and/or they can't afford to replace the 1DIV with a 1DX.

I'll probably release a new version of Lens$db soon, and I'll update the price history graphs at that time to include all of 2013.

Here's some older threads with price history data:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1007318
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1108173
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1007317

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:30 PM
zlgragg
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New/used camera gear price statistics

Thank you guys for the information... and huge thanks to jcolwell! I've been looking at the Lens$db for the past week. These charts about how the prices changed following the Tsunami are very interesting, while also sad. Many many thanks for your work! Now, off to looking at more price trends...

-ZLG

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.