New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

thank you and your service is appreciated but I shouldn't need Nikon on speed dial or need a data device with me to look things up.
it tends to become second nature for different companies "exclusive" methods just to have them change midstream.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM
smodak

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

Helen Oster wrote:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/238

This is the place to search for info like this

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Thanks Helen. I have not contacted Nikon for this specific issue this time, however, I have contacted them in the past. They never want to verify whether a lens is USA or not based on the serial number. They insist that when I send the lens to them for repair, they will check it and let me know whether the lens is under warranty. This happened to me on more than one occasion.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

I'd say the days of relying on the serial numbers for validation are over, if they ever existed.

Serial numbers are all over the place looking at my lenses.

Some of my higher end stuff have "US" preceding the number and yet others don't.

All my boxes say "5 Years of Protection Included" although some are stickers and others are permanently printed on the box. (Another reason to keep the box and paperwork).

My receipts sometimes say "US version" but other's don't.

What bothers me more are now the cheap stick on ones that fit in the oval groove. I've had one fall off before due to heat. The stickers seem to be on the consumer lenses now. Like the 50mm versions, or 10-24mm... etc. However some of these stickers also have "US" on them, my 50mm f/1.4G does.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

ckcarr wrote:
My receipts sometimes say "US version" but other's don't.
does.

This is a good point. I think the key is to make sure the dealer you are buying from is an authorized dealer (listed on Nikon and Canon websites). If you are buying from an unauthorized dealer, the safe bet is to assume that it is grey market.

Now, as far as I know, some authorized dealers I have dealt with never sell any grey market gear, and exclusively sell US gear. Examples include Amazon, Photo Craft, Samy's, etc. Some other authorized dealers like Adorama and B&H do sell both US and grey market, but they always explicitly indicate whether an item is grey market, and at least in my experience with B&H, they mention "US" in the item description on the receipt. So it just becomes a matter of trusting the dealers, and frankly I don't see much of an issue there with well-established authorized dealers.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM
smodak

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

I just received a strange response to my original inquiry from Adorama CSR.

I have personally confirmed that your item is a guaranteed USA product and
has a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.

Please note that most of the time, we shipped the item as is upon receiving
from the manufacturer so you can be assured that your item is a USA brand.

I thought Nikon USA lenses have 5 years of warranty I emailed him back asking for clarification.

Feb 23, 2014 at 02:48 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

smodak wrote:
I thought Nikon USA lenses have 5 years of warranty I emailed him back asking for clarification.

For whatever technicality or legal reasons, Nikon always advertises its US warranty as 1 + 4 years. If my understanding is correct, I think the one year warranty is what they have to offer by law and without any preconditions, and the additional 4 year is at their discretion. For example, they require that you register your product to get the additional 4 years on lenses (their so-called Extended Service Coverage or ESC). And I believe, unlike the 1st year, Nikon's liability can be much more limited during the ESC period. That is probably why they divide the 5 years into 1+4, and perhaps Adorama was referring only to the standard 1 year warranty.

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:03 PM
smodak

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Adorama - Nikon 16-35mm F4 Serial number - No "US" Prefix

The CSR replied again confirming that the lens has 5 years of warranty.

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.