Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Lighting modifier Magmod

Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting modifier Magmod

Anyone have any experience with Magnetmod.com? Looks to be an interesting concept, one size fits all speed lights with magnetic attachment that accepts gels and grids.

Feb 21, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting modifier Magmod

For gels, I prefer a rubber band

Feb 21, 2014 at 06:57 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting modifier Magmod

Looks nice, a bit spendy for what it is.

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:18 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I think designer/primary investor is a member here. There's a whole thread of support in the wedding forum for it.

Personally rubber bands work just fine for me for gels. You can buy a sheet for $7 and with 20 minutes of time cut out a bakers dozen of them. And I don't really use grids. If you're a portrait or product photographer who relies on shoe flashes then it could be useful. But I don't know how much of a hassle attaching grids are.

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:25 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I've ordered and gotten two of them. Extremely well made and far less hassle than using the rubber band method. The magnet system is very strong and extremely fast. I principally got mine for the grids.

Feb 22, 2014 at 04:15 PM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I've been using MagMods for a couple of month now, and I'm very happy with them. Great quality, easy of use, extremely fast gel/grid changing. MagGel works great for bare flash, but with diffusers may not work (though they are expected to come out with their own bouncer). Also, I like keeping the MagDrop on the flash at all time, but that sometimes means making some extra room in my gear bag.
here is my in-depth review: MagMod review

May 31, 2014 at 09:01 AM
Hacker

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting modifier Magmod

Works great but on one of the units, one side of the magnet keeps coming out when used with another modifier. Fitting was just not snug enough. For the price, I expected better.

Jun 06, 2014 at 11:28 PM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lighting modifier Magmod

Hacker wrote:
Works great but on one of the units, one side of the magnet keeps coming out when used with another modifier. Fitting was just not snug enough. For the price, I expected better.

this indeed can be a problem if you attach MagGel first and then MagGrid:

it is recommended to use them in the opposite order: grid - first, gels - last. then, you'll never have that issues.

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I was wondering about that as the magnets came out right away on the gel holder

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Yellowfin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I see this and instantly it makes me wish it were a snoot rather than a grid. Am I weird?

Jul 12, 2014 at 04:46 AM
TTee

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I like it a lot and have found myself using it often, mostly for the grid. I used the Magmod for this picture:

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:58 PM
jjasef
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lighting modifier Magmod

I actually have two but have only used one set [I originally backed it on Kickstarter--$129 for two sets of the MagMod, Grid, and Gel]. I'd be more than willing to sell the other complete unused set at cost for $65 + shipping if interested.

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:01 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lighting modifier Magmod

Love them, they are great! Fast to use and well made. Great customer service. I use them at weddings.

Jul 23, 2014 at 09:33 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lighting modifier Magmod

Love them. I do agree that it is cheap to use a rubber band and a cut gel but like I said, that is"CHEAP" lol

I got these for the grid and ended up getting the creative pack and 2 more holders and now have a 3 light quick setup for on the go stuff. Its crazy quick to use. There are times when I have more time and setup a proper lighting system, but on the go, this is where its at.

Jul 24, 2014 at 01:52 PM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lighting modifier Magmod

they've been teasing about a reflector a lot. should come this fall

Jul 30, 2014 at 01:49 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password