New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help on setting for D7100

holeshot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help on setting for D7100

After lurking around for quite a while, I finally need the help of the more knowledgeable folks on this site. In the "Shooting Menu" under "Set Picture Control" you have options to choose SD, NL, VI, etc. etc. etc. Now if your Right Arrow from any of the presets, you have options to fine tune or tweak Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness and more. My question is this; Does this only effect .JPG's? or do these settings effect .NEF files as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:27 PM
Kent_Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help on setting for D7100

My understanding is that those kind of settings effect jpegs only and if you shoot NEF plus jpegs then it will apply to the jpegs.

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:34 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help on setting for D7100

Those settings affect jpgs permanently. The raw files will retain and honour the settings if opened with Nikon software, e.g., ViewNX or Capture NX2. Settings can be changed around in raw files to taste when using Nikon software.

Other editing software such as Lightroom, PS Elements, etc, do not keep the in-camera settings for the raw files but offer specific camera profiles that are very helpful in post.

And welcome to FM

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:34 PM
holeshot

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help on setting for D7100

I was pretty sure they affected .jpg's I just didn't see any difference in the Raw files though. Even if I tweaked a setting WAY to the right, it didn't seem to do anything. But since I only shoot RAW, it kind of makes sense then. Thanks for your help

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:39 PM
holeshot

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help on setting for D7100

Ahhhhhhhhh since I use Lightroom and not VIEWNX that seems to hold true to your explanation. I would imagine the Lens corrections abilities with the latest lens firmware ALSO doesn't do anything if I Shoot RAW and edit in Lightroom. That explains why lightrooms lens correction seems to change an image when all along I expected the camera firmware to do it automatically.... Interesting. Just when you think you know it all, you find out you're not as smart as the average dslr. Thanks for your help & your welcome

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help on setting for D7100

holeshot wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhh since I use Lightroom and not VIEWNX that seems to hold true to your explanation. I would imagine the Lens corrections abilities with the latest lens firmware ALSO doesn't do anything if I Shoot RAW and edit in Lightroom. That explains why lightrooms lens correction seems to change an image when all along I expected the camera firmware to do it automatically.... Interesting. Just when you think you know it all, you find out you're not as smart as the average dslr. Thanks for your help & your welcome

You're most welcome.... and I can't think of a single camera in my closet that doesn't best me in the intelligence department

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.