New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

fivejls

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

Hi everyone. Right now I am shooting with a nikon d90 and 70-200 vr lens. Most of the time I am outdoors on the lacrosse field. I would really like input on what would be the best upgrade for me. I don't know if it makes sense to go full frame or not. Money is a factor, I don't want to spend $6k on a new body. I do need quick tracking, AF, and FPS. Thank you in advance.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:49 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

If you want to save money on the long glass the newer crop cameras are really nice. The D3S is a great camera and won't let you down but the D7100 will give a little more reach as well as a larger file for cropping. With the D4S being announced shortly the D3S might drop a little in value so if you want to buy something immediately that might also be a consideration.

Edited on Feb 20, 2014 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:57 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

Do you need the reach of a DX body?

Do you need to print huge?

Hard to argue the merit of a used D3S, that is one incredible camera. I think they are still in the $4K range though, which isn't cheap.

I use a D600/D610 and I find AF to be as good as my old D300/D700, save for the 12 fewer AF points that I don't notice. It's center point is more sensitive as well. You are limited to 5.5-6 FPS though if that is an issue. It does get you into one of the world's best FF sensors (#2), as well as some good cropping ability should you need it. DX mode is 10.5MP still.

D3 bodies can be had in the $2000's, which would be outstanding as long as 12MP is enough. 12MP doesn't leave as much room for cropping if you want to print big. Lots of guys had multiple D3's, so if you could find someone selling a backup body it would be lightly used.

A D700 w/grip would be a nice 8FPS used option as well (probably go D3 though at that point).

You can buy D300's for next to nothing ($400ish), and they are a significant step up from the D90 in terms of focus, build, and FPS.

The D7100 is an absolute bargain as well if you want maximum bang for the buck with a new DX camera. It's main drawback is buffer size.

If you don't need to print huge, I'd personally buy a D3 or D3s on a budget.

I also suggest renting for a day to try before you buy, especially if you might drop a few grand on one of the better bodies. Hope that helps, sorry if I just confused you more haha.

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:00 PM
fivejls

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

CanadaMark wrote:
Do you need the reach of a DX body?

Do you need to print huge?

Hard to argue the merit of a used D3S, that is one incredible camera. I think they are still in the $4K range though, which isn't cheap.

I use a D600/D610 and I find AF to be as good as my old D300/D700, save for the 12 fewer AF points that I don't notice. It's center point is more sensitive as well. You are limited to 5.5-6 FPS though if that is an issue. It does get you into one of the world's best FF sensors (#2), as
...Show more

This is awesome information. I really want to get a d3s, but have it convince hubby. What's the difference between the d3 and d3s?

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

With a tight budget, I don't know that I would go full frame. That's a slippery slope. The FOV on full frame may leave you disappointed on the long end.

I would consider the 7100 and use what you would have spent on going full frame on upgrading your lens of choice. Yes, the buffer is a concern, but it's relative to if you're focusing on one player or if your covering the team.

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:13 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

fivejls wrote:
This is awesome information. I really want to get a d3s, but have it convince hubby. What's the difference between the d3 and d3s?

The D3S has about a stop better ISO performance, larger buffer, adds 720P video, 1.2x crop mode, weighs slightly less, and has slightly better AF performance than the D3. Beyond that, the differences are minimal. Used D3 bodies are a lot less, and is still going to be such an upgrade from your D90, I'd start there if I were you. A D3 will blow you away, you probably don't need to spend the extra $1000-2000 it takes to get into a D3S.

The D4S will be announced on Feb 25, if rumors are to be believed, and should drive the used prices of the D3, D3S, and D4 down a notch.

If you're OK with sticking with DX/Crop cameras, you can save another bundle of money, going with something like a D7100 ($1100) or used D300s ($400, but 7 years old).

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:19 PM
fivejls

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

CanadaMark wrote:
The D3S has about a stop better ISO performance, larger buffer, adds 720P video, 1.2x crop mode, weighs slightly less, and has slightly better AF performance than the D3. Beyond that, the differences are minimal. Used D3 bodies are a lot less, and is still going to be such an upgrade from your D90, I'd start there if I were you. A D3 will blow you away, you probably don't need to spend the extra $1000-2000 it takes to get into a D3S.

The D4S will be announced on Feb 25, if rumors are to be believed, and should drive the
...Show more

Thank you again!!!! I guess the big deciding factor is going full frame or staying with my cropped sensor. I am still not sure which would be better for sports.

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:27 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

fivejls wrote:
Thank you again!!!! I guess the big deciding factor is going full frame or staying with my cropped sensor. I am still not sure which would be better for sports.

No right or wrong answer on the FF vs DX, really. FF is going to give you more subject isolation (less depth of field), which can be handy for sports. You also "lose" some reach. I put lose in quotations because though your field of view is the different, a cropped FF image will give the same "reach" as a DX image, the difference being the size of the pixels in that area. For example, a D7100 is going to put 24 MP in the the same area that a D610 is going to have 10.5 MP, even though both are 24MP cameras. In other words, if you cropped a D610 image to the same field of view as a D7100 or any other crop camera, you would be left with 10.5MP.

The other thing is with DX, you are going to have a lower ceiling on ISO performance, so I don't know how well lit the areas you shoot are, it may or may not be an issue.

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:25 PM
fivejls

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

CanadaMark wrote:
No right or wrong answer on the FF vs DX, really. FF is going to give you more subject isolation (less depth of field), which can be handy for sports. You also "lose" some reach. I put lose in quotations because though your field of view is the different, a cropped FF image will give the same "reach" as a DX image, the difference being the size of the pixels in that area. For example, a D7100 is going to put 24 MP in the the same area that a D610 is going to have 10.5 MP, even though both
...Show more

Again, thank you!!! The way you explain it it makes sense to. Now I will look and see prices to make a final decision. I really appreciate you explaining this to me. 😊

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:32 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

I can make it a little bit easier, since youre asking about between 2 consumer bodies and 1 professional beast camera, you dont need the d3s. youll know if/when you need to make that big step up to a d3s/d4. going to fx isnt really the problem, its the glass. you have a 70-200, add maybe a teleconverter if you need more reach and on dx its perfect for sports. for fx it will come up a little short. youll want atleast a 300mm, maybe even 400...unless of course you get something like a d610 with 24mp and want to crop every single picture. thats honestly whats stopping me from going to fx, i shoot for a hobby so to put out 5k on a body only to have to spend another 5k on a 300 2.8 doesnt make sense.

I still shoot with a d300s (waiting for a REAL update) and with my 70-200 its great. af is quick and accurate and the 8 fps is just the perfect amount for me. i go to alot of professional sporting events and i still see d300s and d700s out there...because theyre that good.

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:53 PM
skipchang

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

I'm in the same boat as you fivejls. I've been shooting both of my kids in High School Lacrosse this year using D7000 with 70-200/2.8. The lack of buffer space is really killing me -- missing some key shots due to FPS going to nothing.

I've been debating between used D3 or D3s. I went ahead and rented the D3s for next week (5 games between the two kids). The body should be coming in next Monday. I'll let you know how D3s works for Lacrosse.

Cheers,
Skip

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:45 AM
fivejls

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

skipchang wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you fivejls. I've been shooting both of my kids in High School Lacrosse this year using D7000 with 70-200/2.8. The lack of buffer space is really killing me -- missing some key shots due to FPS going to nothing.

I've been debating between used D3 or D3s. I went ahead and rented the D3s for next week (5 games between the two kids). The body should be coming in next Monday. I'll let you know how D3s works for Lacrosse.

Cheers,
Skip

That's great Skip. Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Julie

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:56 AM
NikonDeb
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

D3s has a bigger buffer which you will notice if shooting RAW. I have both the D3 and the D3s (and the DF)-had the 600. The D3 was ALWAYS my go to camera-I personally liked how it performed better than my 3s. Now, because of the size, I go to the DF. If you get either the 3 or the 3s, you won't be disappointed.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:12 AM
fivejls

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

NikonDeb wrote:
D3s has a bigger buffer which you will notice if shooting RAW. I have both the D3 and the D3s (and the DF)-had the 600. The D3 was ALWAYS my go to camera-I personally liked how it performed better than my 3s. Now, because of the size, I go to the DF. If you get either the 3 or the 3s, you won't be disappointed.

It is the first time I have heard someone say they like the d3 better then the d3s. Thank you for your input.

Julie

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:21 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

Unless you're likely to make significant investments in long glass, the D7100 is a dramatic improvement over the D90 in all the ways that count: much better high ISO sensor performance, better AF, 6 fps in standard 24mp DX, plus 7 fps in a 1.3x crop mode that still gives you a 15mp image, etc. The buffer is weak compared to the higher end bodies, but if you invest in fast SD cards (which help to clear the buffer more quickly), a 6-8 frame burst is not a major limitation.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:39 AM
fivejls

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

Smiert Spionam wrote:
Unless you're likely to make significant investments in long glass, the D7100 is a dramatic improvement over the D90 in all the ways that count: much better high ISO sensor performance, better AF, 6 fps in standard 24mp DX, plus 7 fps in a 1.3x crop mode that still gives you a 15mp image, etc. The buffer is weak compared to the higher end bodies, but if you invest in fast SD cards (which help to clear the buffer more quickly), a 6-8 frame burst is not a major limitation.

Is that when shooting raw? Thanks for the insight.

Julie

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

D3s if you want to dig into the game a bit.
i have a D7000 and that is limited success option for a high speed game
1 have a D610 that does better in lower light but is stuck with the limits of the D7000/7100
if you are seriously going after nuance images of the game there is less fight with yourself shooting with the appropriate tool.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:42 AM
fivejls

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

sjms wrote:
D3s if you want to dig into the game a bit.
i have a D7000 and that is limited success option for a high speed game
1 have a D610 that does better in lower light but is stuck with the limits of the D7000/7100
if you are seriously going after nuance images of the game there is less fight with yourself shooting with the appropriate tool.

I agree sjms. I am lusting after the d3s. I shot two games this weekend and was getting frustrated. My other consideration was to spend the money on better glass. It would be great to get closer, more zoom.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:51 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

fivejls wrote:
Is that when shooting raw? Thanks for the insight.

Julie

Yup. Shooting large/fine jpegs, it's around 30 frames.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon d610, d7100, or d3s for sports photography

fivejls wrote:
I agree sjms. I am lusting after the d3s. I shot two games this weekend and was getting frustrated. My other consideration was to spend the money on better glass. It would be great to get closer, more zoom.

I have both DX and FX.
my 2 DX lenses are:
11-16/2.8 Tokina II
17-70/2.8-4 sigma C
after that its FX lenses on the DX body
more zoom? 1.4 or 1.7 Nikon TC for that 70-200/2.8

http://sjms.smugmug.com/Sports/Ultimate
click on the (I) for image info

Apr 08, 2014 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.