Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 70D sports settings

jrand

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70D sports settings

I'm getting used to my 70D as it's a nice upgrade from my 20D. My oldest boy (13) has a basketball tournament this weekend and I'd like to do whatever I can to increase the amount of keepers from each game. I've been using my 50mm1.4 and shooting in a less than perfect lighting environment. My brother is sending me his 24-70 2.8L (older version) but not sure it will get here in time for the game. here's a screen grab of the info in DPP from a good pic. They can always get better.

Any thoughts on settings I should change?
I appreciate any and all input.
Regards
James

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:30 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70D sports settings

James: It would be more meaningful to see an example of what you're calling a 'good pic,' and maybe an example of one you'd like to improve on. Beyond the basics of ISO, aperture and shutter speed, there isn't much in the settings that could be changed. A faster shutter speed might help (you can shoot at a wider aperture), but I'd say a longer lens would do you better. I'm sure the 24-70 will work well enough for you, but if you're gong to be at this for a while, the 70-200 f/2.8 is the one to have your eye on. There are circumstances where the f/2.8 isn't enough, but if you're shooting at f/3.2 and getting away with it, you're not in those circumstances.

Feb 20, 2014 at 07:36 PM
jrand

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 70D sports settings

Thanks for the reply Russ. Here's a few. The first has the same settings as my first post and the second pic is cropped a little bit. I'm guessing it's what it would look like if shot with a 70mm.

The second picture was taken before I adjusted the microAF -4. On the tip off, I auto focused on #15 then turned it to Manual Focus.

Feb 20, 2014 at 08:23 PM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 70D sports settings

Here's what I would suggest.

If the gym has fairly even light go manual. Set the lens to f2.8 (either one) set the shutter speed to 1/500 or 1/640 and then set the ISO to what you need for a good photo. Don't under expose. You need to figure out what is the lowest shutter speed you are happy with. I see you were at 1/400. Did you stop most of the action at that speed? I kind of doubt it so I would go 1/500 minimum.

If your photos were looking ok you should end up at around 1/500, f2.8, ISO 4000 +/-.

Your 50mm is good because if you need to, you can open up to f2 and get more light but your depth of field will be very shallow so that may cause more out of focus shots.

I see you were on servo focusing. Did you use just the center point? That's what I would recommend.

You might want to look into back button focus activation. That's where you set your camera to activate focus using your thumb on one of the back buttons on your camera instead of the half shutter push. One big benefit is that you can stop focusing when you need to, like when someone or something gets in between you and the players you want to photograph, or that you can bump the back button to re-acquire focus if you loose it on your subject. I fought doing this for a long time but I now know it is a better way to operate. If you do it give it a chance. You need to develop new muscle memory to get good at it.

I would also set a custom white balance for the gym. Read your manual on how to do it but generally, take a piece of white paper out onto the court before the game starts and shoot it, filling most of the frame with the paper. Then use that image to set the custom white balance. You can get fancy with a neutral card but it's not really going to make a huge difference.

When I shoot sports, my goal is to have very little post processing to do when I shoot sports. I want to get it right in the camera. Don't be afraid of higher ISO speeds. You can touch up noise but you can't fix blurred.

Oh, one more thing, have fun don't let the camera get between you and enjoying the time watching your son.

Feb 20, 2014 at 08:31 PM
jrand

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 70D sports settings

I checked out both your websites. WOW. Lots of GREAT pics!

I'm pretty sure I used the center point AF. Not sure which metering mode I should select. Probably wouldn't matter in Manual mode.

As far as the AF single point, zone AF or 19 point auto select, I'm not really sure what's the norm for B-ball. I've been using the single point because of the shallow depth of field, I'm trying to keep my kid, and now others that want some good pics in focus.

My version of Lightroom won't read the 70D's raw files so that limits me to post processing in DPP and/or CS6 photoshop. DPP is so quick and dirty, just not sure if I should be spending a little more time in CS6/camera raw.

A little confusing to me are the custom functionII autofocus settings like tracking sensitivity, Accel/Decel, 1st image priority, etc...

Thanks again for any and all help.

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:39 PM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 70D sports settings

I don't low your camera but usually the center is the most accurate focus point.

Metering mode does not matter if you decide to go manual. Just get it right. I use the blinking over exposure display to help me with exposure but I am ok with letting a couple of small areas blink.

My normal is to select one focus point, no auto select, etc. You need to work on your ability to keep the focus point on your subject. If you let the camera pick it will often pick the wrong subject.If you can you will get good and consistent results. Back button focus control helps.

You should upgrade Lightroom to work with your camera. LR is an important part of your photography system.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.