New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Compact Camera Recommendations

kzoockof
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Compact Camera Recommendations

Not too long ago, on this site, somebody had purchased a new compact camera that had a really long reach (600 - 1200mm) and used a leica lens (I think) at a fixed aperature of like 2.8 or so.

I am looking for a compact camera for those times I don't want to lug my DSLR around, but still be able to get very good images, etc. . .

What are your personal recommendations? I'll shoot everything, people, wild life, landscape, etc. . . I recently bought an Olympus tough P&S, but am disappointed in the IQ of many of the shots.

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:31 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Compact Camera Recommendations

depends on your definition of 'compact' and/or whether you want fixed lens or interchangeable. I'm seriously looking at the Fuji X-T1 or E2.

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:39 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Compact Camera Recommendations

I agree it depends on your definition of compact. Aside from that though, I would avoid anything with a 1/2.3 or 1/1.7 sensor now that it's so easy to get much larger for the same or less money.

My first recommendation would be to pick a DIRT CHEAP mirrorless camera. Last I checked you could buy a Nikon J1 with 10-30mm, 30-110mm, and bag for $199. You get image quality miles ahead of a regular P&S, phase detect AF, etc. all in a nice small package. Dive rated enclosures are only $120 as well, which is an added bonus for some. Similarly great deals can be had on other mirrorless cams if you're looking. Pretty hard to justify a "regular" tiny sensor P&S camera for $300-500 when there are deals like that out there.

If you prefer the more traditional P&S camera, the Sony RX100 II, Nikon Coolpix A, Canon G1X Mk2, etc. are all attractive choices with good lenses and large sensors. Fuji and Olympus make a couple great ones too.

Without budget and size expectations it's hard to recommend anything specifically.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:02 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Compact Camera Recommendations

Size perspective, pretty much anything is going to be small and convenient enough for me. I am looking for a camera in which I am not carrying 25 pounds plus of body and lenses. I am not so much sold on the most of the P&S, they are convenient, but IQ and enough manual adjust-ability seem to be lacking for me, though the ability to just point and shoot (like in P mode and get good results is desired).

Budget? The better the camera the more I am willing to spend. I have avoided the mirror less to date as I am looking for a fixed zoom lens.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:29 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Compact Camera Recommendations

If budget isn't much of a concern, and you don't want a MILC, look at:

Nikon Coolpix A
Sony RX100 II (good deals to be had on the "I" as well)
Canon G1X Mk2 (just announced)
Fuji X100S
Sony RX1 (full frame)

I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting. I think Olympus just released a fixed-lens version of the OM-D.

A MILC with a good general range lens that you never need to change will behave like a fixed zoom lens camera and have far superior responsiveness & AF. You won't be retracting the lens into the body to put it in your pocket, though.

I use a Nikon V1 now as my "point and shoot". I also get 10 fps with AF between frames and a huge buffer that fits in my pocket, and a 2.7 TC with the FT-1 adapter and any of my F-mount lenses. All for less than some P&S' cost.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:38 PM
mspencer1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Compact Camera Recommendations

The sony RX100 has great IQ for a compact camera

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:04 PM
nikonshutter16

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Compact Camera Recommendations

The pocketable camera that has best image quality in its class is the Sony RX100 and RX100 II. They are expensive though.

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:46 PM
scorpix

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Compact Camera Recommendations

I also would look at Sony RX100.
If budget is no concern Olympus OM-D EM 5. But personally I would not want to invest in another lens system.

Apr 03, 2014 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.