New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Vern Dewit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

If you're tempted to 'save' $1000 by picking up one of the many available 2nd hand Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses rather then the new 24-70 f/4, I would strongly caution you to try before you buy if at all possible.

I bought a 'cheap' 28-70 for my A7r and I have to say that it was shockingly bad. I paid $350 for it and ended up selling it for $250 because frankly, I couldn't sell if for more. It's the worst zoom lens I've ever had the pleasure of using - by quite a long shot.

I used it on several snowshoe / ski trips over last weekend (http://www.explor8ion.com/snowshoeing/mcnab.html and http://www.explor8ion.com/ski/spoon-needle.html) and when I got home and looked at my photos I couldn't believe how awful anything other than the center was! I'm talking a mushy mess. I had to check my camera using the FE35 and FE55 to make sure it wasn't my sensor or something! Nope. The primes were all dead-sharp.

The only good news for me is that there's no possible way that the FE 24-70 that I have on preorder can be anything other than steller compared to the 28-70! I'm sure there could be better copies out there, but you've been warned! I certainly did not end up getting what I paid for - and that was already discounted heavily from new.

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:29 PM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Mind you I have the A7 and not the A7R, but I purchased the kit and the lens has lived up to my expectations, maybe a bit better than my expectations, even towards the edges. Perhaps your copy was worse than normal? (Of course, maybe mine is better than normal!)

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:41 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Early indications are there is some degree of sample variation of the lens. One copy I tested was rather good (test here. I shared that result with Thom Hogan and he said his copy was noticeably softer at the edges vs what I tested.

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Btw, you could have sent it in to Sony for repair even though you weren't the original owner. Their warranties are transferable.

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:49 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

snapsy wrote:
Btw, you could have sent it in to Sony for repair even though you weren't the original owner. Their warranties are transferable.

I know - not worth it IMHO. Too much hassle considering I was only using it temporarily until the 24-70 comes along...

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:51 PM
cdracingzx6r

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

I thought the quality of the kit lens was decent, given it's price. Not going to set the world on fire.. But definitely one of the better kit lenses I've used.

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:52 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

cdracingzx6r wrote:
I thought the quality of the kit lens was decent, given it's price. Not going to set the world on fire.. But definitely one of the better kit lenses I've used.

Like I said - I'm sure there's sample variation. That's my point. Try before you buy a 2nd hand copy - there's probably a reason it's up for sale...

Feb 20, 2014 at 03:57 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Thanks for posting this, Vern.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:31 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

beautiful trip. thanks for sharing.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:43 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Vern Dewit wrote:
If you're tempted to 'save' $1000 by picking up one of the many available 2nd hand Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses rather then the new 24-70 f/4, I would strongly caution you to try before you buy if at all possible.

I bought a 'cheap' 28-70 for my A7r and I have to say that it was shockingly bad. I paid $350 for it and ended up selling it for $250 because frankly, I couldn't sell if for more. It's the worst zoom lens I've ever had the pleasure of using - by quite a long shot.

I used it on
...Show more

There's some spectacular scenery in your links but images far too small to determine anything about the lens itself. I think it pretty obvious from Phillip Reeves tests that it's quite good, especially considering it's a kit lens.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:49 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

wfrank wrote:
There's some spectacular scenery in your links but images far too small to determine anything about the lens itself. I think it pretty obvious from Phillip Reeves tests that it's quite good, especially considering it's a kit lens.

Well, at least Phillip's copy appears to be fairly good - but one is a very small sample size, and there are a few other reviews, and lots of sample images that don't look as good - hence Vern's advice to "try before you buy" with a used copy.

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:24 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Right. Always test and reject if it's bad - or send it back if you did not get it in a physical shop.

A couple of years ago, when I still was into AF and Canon, I tested and rejected 3 copies of the usually celebrated Canon 24-70/2.8L because it did not focus properly even with the fool-proof center cross point on a 5D2. I ended up not buying one.

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:02 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Vern Dewit wrote:

That kind of tells one everything they need to know right there doesn't it ? If your saving $1000 over the price of the high end product, one should expect much less.

Its kind of like saying a warning for those who buy a Kia because its $50,000 cheaper than a BMW

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:08 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

millsart wrote:
That kind of tells one everything they need to know right there doesn't it ? If your saving $1000 over the price of the high end product, one should expect much less.

Its kind of like saying a warning for those who buy a Kia because its $50,000 cheaper than a BMW

Yep - that's why I posted. But it's like buying the Kia and then realizing it doesn't have brakes or go faster than 10 mph...

I did expect far less, just not complete mush, which is what I got! My copy was totally unusable for the A7r. The only reason my images from the lens don't look horrible is because they're downsized so much.

That was my second point. Just because someone posts a decent looking image at web size, doesn't mean the lens is any good for prints. No big deal, just some friendly advice on a lens that I did expect to be a bit better considering it's $500 new...

Feb 21, 2014 at 09:56 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Just a thought...were you shooting raw and not processing through IDC? I guess the inexpensive Sony lens depend on software correction for decent results. Either shoot jpeg or raw and convert with idc.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM
vario1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

And you sold it telling the new buyer its crap as well?
Just sayin

Feb 21, 2014 at 02:43 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

mogul wrote:
Just a thought...were you shooting raw and not processing through IDC? I guess the inexpensive Sony lens depend on software correction for decent results. Either shoot jpeg or raw and convert with idc.

I think the OP is looking for more sharpness, not less...

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:17 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

I think ypu got a dud. My copy is better than I expected and if it had 24mm I may not have got the Zeiss. It sure is no prime but mine is better than the Fuji 18-55 that people rave about.

Test before you buy seems to be a good idea with Sony.

Gordon

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:20 PM
masberg224

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

thanks for the post!

Feb 22, 2014 at 02:06 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Warning to Sony A7r Users about the Sony 28-70mm FE OSS Lens

Interesting you say this - I've used a fair number of kit lenses, and the kit on my wife's 5N is incredibly poor, and is the worst kit lens I've ever used (even Canon's 28-135 on a 40D was better). Some people say Sony had improved their kit design, but I guess that didn't carry over to the A7.

Feb 22, 2014 at 02:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.