Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Event lighting question (reception)

Eric Gottesman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Event lighting question (reception)

I'm doing my niece's Bat Mitzvah and I already secured my friend to be an assistant. Here's the list of available pertinent equipment before my actual query.

Me: 6D, Sig 24-60 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85 1.8, and most importantly, 430 EXII and 600 EX-RT

Him: 7D, Tamron 10-24, 85 1.8, Sig 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 and most importantly, no flash.

I don't have much flash experience, but I will practicing from now until May when the event is. My question, is how do you recommend dispersing the lighting duties between us? I initially think that me using both flashes (600 on camera and 430 slave on pole) would give at least one shooter the best lighting scenario for the reception/party afterwards.

I'd have his gear as backup or even use the second body with a different lens so I'm not switching back and forth. I'm not as concerned with having a second person shooting the event as I am the lighting situation. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I mentioned the gear if any of you have more creative ideas than I do. I thought that if lighting is poor, I would ask him to hold the 430 on a pole as I shoot walking around the party. If that's the right idea, do I just set it full bounce on the ceiling?

Also, I have 3 sets of rechargeables (all relatively new). I guess it's prudent to use an auxiliary battery pack for the 600 and keep the 3 sets rotating in the 430 (two chargers) and have some alks for emergency use. I'll probably get a couple more sets of rechargeables since at least I can use them for other things outside of photography. I don't plan on doing this more than the occasional favor (I know you hear that a lot) so I don't want to go too crazy on the battery pack. Any recommendations? Would the Bolt CBP-C1 or Canon CP-E4 be sufficient for a few hours to boost the 600?

The reception room is obviously going to be low lit (cave), and the ceiling is rather low so bounce will have a good effect. I do have 2.8 and better speed and great 6D ISO in my favor. Since the lighting will be fairly constant I thought shooting with both flashes on manual and using an A/B group with separate settings might work. I started getting in the 600 settings and played with the manual settings for master and slave. I can't believe what these things can do! Oh, if ETTL is recommended instead, please let me know.

Thank you for your time reading this and any helpful suggestions you have!

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Event lighting question (reception)

Hi Eric,

You should ask this on the Lighting & Studio forum.

The 6D performs very well at relatively high ISO, while the 7D doesn't. This suggests that the 7D might be more in need of flash support than the 6D. Of course, if the 7D is primarily a backup camera, then using the flash as you note probably makes good sense. Just don't expect too much out of the 7D without flash.

With the low ceilings, you'll probably get good results from bounce with both the on- and off-camera flash units. I'd probably use manual mode on the flash and camera, too.

With the event in May, you have lots of time to practice - good luck.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Event lighting question (reception)

Eric,

Try to get the venue and test the lighting at the same time as the event. I'm not a pro, and worry a lot about lighting when shooting events (a few weddings). An astronomical calendar can tell you the time when the sun will be in the same position. If it is really dark, you might want to suggest/invest in some lightbulbs. I did one wedding where the poor church had a few dozen burnt out bulbs. The bride made a contribution of $25 of lightbulbs which made a huge difference.

If this is really a cave, what is the ceiling like? A low ceiling that is dark or very ornate or with strong colors may be a challenge to bounce flash. I went to an event which had a intense orange ceiling, and the photogs (not me) didn't compensate. Everybody looked jaundiced.

Ask at the Lighting forum, but if I had a light person with a pole, I definitely would NOT bounce off the ceiling. Put a big reflector on the pole, and the light person can direct the light right where you want it.

I agree with jcolwell that you probably want to be in manual mode, and let the ETTL adjust the lights.

Another option is rent another 600 or two for event. Leave one set up wirelessly on a tall stand near the receiving line.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Event lighting question (reception)

I usually gel my flashes to match the prevailing artificial ambient light. As others have said, go on a survey beforehand to test your lighting.

Good luck!

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Event lighting question (reception)

There are some cheap but good and powerful manual flashes from Lumopro and others. Maybe convince your friend to buy one of those. Use it in bounce mode on his 7d. Would make both of you workable in the light.

0If you are not well practiced with the flashes, you might find it hard to have one off camera, one on, all mobile, etc. Lots to keep track of. I can't do it well. Maybe consider setting up a single area for candid family photos in the corner, where you can dial in your two light set up. Then just use each individual flash on each camera, bouncing them off the ceiling for a more natural effect.

Brian

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:01 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Event lighting question (reception)

another vote and a must for surveying venue before and test lighting. I personally would have a two shooter system v one shooter with 2 flashes.

Feb 21, 2014 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.