Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

zeroplusplus1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Peter,

Yes, of course I had to photograph first mannequins and then fellow students in the studio using all the classic styles - broad, short, butterfly, Rembrandt, split, horror, high key, low key, etc.. I demonstrate several patterns in the videos and call them by the classic name.

Not every art director or client I work with uses the classic names. Often they show me images of the light quality they like.

As an assistant, each studio operated a little different.

But yes, we all learned the classic lighting styles....instructor Harry Liles saw to that.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Oh. So they are part of your vocabulary. Good to know.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thorsten - You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the camera setting affect or don't affect the raw file and how that raw file first appears in your raw processor. The camera setting have NO effect on the raw file whatsoever. They do affect the in camera jpeg, in camera histogram, video footage, and in camera LCD display but have no effect on the raw files and only have a "preview" effect in the raw software if and only if you're using the camera manufacturer's own software to process your images. ACR/LR, CaptureOne, Iridient, etc. all ignore any of those in camera settings. This is actually the type of misinformation that I thought we all had gotten past many years ago.

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:25 PM
zeroplusplus1

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Hi Peter,

I am in complete agreement with you. The camera settings have NO effect on the raw file whatsoever.

I use the camera settings I use because I do not want saturation, sharpness, contrast, etc effecting the cameras histogram or the way I might expose the image.

I learned this from Digital Dog Andrew Rodney and Moose Peterson many years ago.

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

The problem is that you didn't make that distinction in your video, and anyone watching that could easily be led to believe the wrong thing.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:02 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

I'm glad there's someone else out there who doesn't use the classic terms like butterfly and loop, Fosberry Flop and reverse double camel. I know them but I have not used or heard them since school, other than forums...
Never had an AD use those terms, may be too inside baseball for them...

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:13 PM
zeroplusplus1

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Peter is correct in that a photographer should know and learn the basics and terms of portrait lighting. These are the building blocks of our profession.

Someone else once said, "it is okay to break the rules, as long as you know why and what rule you are breaking". I love that statement.

And finally, I thought I had made it clear that the camera settings I use are specific to my workflow. Perhaps I was not completely clear and I apologize if it was misleading or confusing to some.

When using new software or a new camera, I always check to see what the default settings are. The default settings may not be the best options for a "neutral" image quality.

The settings I discuss in Part 2, are what I have found to work well with the lighting setups shown in video Parts 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zeroplusplus1

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Regarding art directors and portrait lighting terms, this can vary a great deal.

Some art directors I have worked with know lighting very well. They know the terms and what can and can't be easily fixed in PS. They also know when the photographer has no idea of how to light the product or subject.

And then we have the new e-retailer art directors that show me a competitors website and say, "we want this kind of lighting and styling". Obviously I can't call them stupid or uneducated for not knowing the proper old-school classic terms. Sure, I could begin the photo education right there, but I would probably be called arrogant and not get the job.

I am able to work with all kinds of art directors and clients, both skilled and unskilled ad's. Over the years I have learned that a good photographer makes the whole crew look good. I don't need to be the rockstar on the set, nor do I want to.

I want a happy client and to get hired again....and I have all repeat clients.

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thorsten, thanks for sharing the video series. Very informative and well done, especially for a relative noob to lighting like me. One basic question...how are the sheers attached to the frames? Velcro that's stitched on? Thanks!

Bob

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:22 AM
zeroplusplus1

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Prevelige wrote:
Thorsten, thanks for sharing the video series. Very informative and well done, especially for a relative noob to lighting like me. One basic question...how are the sheers attached to the frames? Velcro that's stitched on? Thanks!

Bob

I use 2-inch elastic bands (fabric store). Or use 2 lightstands and a couple of $2 Home Depot clamps to hold the fabric. I clamp the 2 top corners of the fabric to the top of the lightstand and let it hang to the floor.

The commercial guys in LA used 2 C-stands, a couple of clamps, and let the fabric hang to the floor. Dean Collins had fancy pvc tubes with shock-cord.

Anything that supports the fabric will work and having a few wrinkles has zero effect on the light quality.

-Thorsten

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:34 PM
lonestardiver

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Very good read and helpful to boot.

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:44 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

zeroplusplus1 wrote:
I hope I can shoot my catalog job this week from a wheelchair

Hey, if Jimmy Stewart could do it, I'm sure you can!

BTW, thanks for the info, extremely useful.

Peace,

Todd

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:46 PM
zeroplusplus1

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

This week I ordered a few things for a very portable panel system from Amazon & BH Photo.

My goal is to build a very light setup kit for on-location portraits that uses my Nikon SB-910 speedlight for HSS (high-speed-sync) or a single monohead and panel-style lighting.

The list of toys and links below:

1) Diffuser Panel - Fotodiox Pro 48'x72' Premium-grade Oval Reflector, 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y2EOBW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Avenger RH353 Reflector Holder with Mini Grip Head - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/332034-REG/Avenger_RH353_Reflector_Holder_with_Mini.html

3) Sandbags for light-stands - CowboyStudio Set of Four Yellow Photography Video Studio Stage Film Heavy Duty Sandbags
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072B0T5G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) Speedlight Swivel/Tilt Mount for Light-Stand - CowboystudioUmbrella Mount Bracket with Swivel/Tilt Bracket for Nikon and Canon 430EX E580EX SB600 SB800 SB900
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034WR71G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5) For reflector/fill I still use my trusty 15 year old Photoflex LiteDisc Oval Reflector, White Opaque/Silver, 41 x 74"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42117-REG/Photoflex_DL_134174WS_LiteDisc_Oval_Reflector_White.html

Or get a second Fotodiox Pro 48'x72' Premium-grade Oval Reflector for another $50.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experience has taught me to buy the biggest reflector....just once. A set of 3 smaller ones is just more $$$$$ and more things to loose on a shoot.

FStoppers had a nice article on how to use the oval diffuser panel for noonday portraits. This is why I love the ripstop panels or big Collapsible Oval Diffusers

http://fstoppers.com/say-yes-to-noon-sun-create-amazing-portraits-with-one-simple-tool

I will shoot a series of tests with this "portable speedlight setup" and post my results for studio and location portraits in the very near future. Still on crutches but I will try to get some video as well.....sighhh.

Cheers,
Thorsten

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM
mkondrasik

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Appreciate the info. Nice job.

May 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register