Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

zeroplusplus1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Recently I released a free 6 part people lighting video series on Vimeo. The series was originally created for the Art Institute of Dallas and the Illinois Institute of Art - Tinley Park and is used in their commercial photography program.

The videos demonstrate lighting modifiers and setups I saw as a young assistant when working in top Los Angeles commercial studios. The 6 videos show the workflow and lighting I use for my commercial advertising photography.

The video series creates 58 different lighting setups using inexpensive monoheads and lighting modifiers.

My message in these 6 videos is that lighting modifiers do not determine whether a setup is "fashion lighting" or "portrait lighting". The wardrobe and pose and styling determine what kind of image it is...not the lighting modifier we use.

Links to the 6 free videos are below:

Part 1 Intro & Lighting Modifiers Explained

20 minute video explaining the lighting modifiers I use. Octabox | Softbox | DIY Lighting Modifiers | Beauty Dish | Nylon/Satin Panels | V-Banks | Grids

Part 2 Technical Briefs Primer

20 minute video explaining my digital workflow. Produced in 2009, we now have newer versions of the mentioned Photoshop plugins. Today I use Lightroom 5 instead of Adobe Camera RAW, yet the principles discussed within remain the same.

Part 3 Studio & Indoor Portrait Lighting Techniques explores 8 different lighting modifiers.

Part 4 Outdoor Portrait Lighting Techniques explores 12 different lighting modifiers.

Part 5 Studio & Location Fashion Lighting Techniques explores 10 different lighting modifiers.

Part 6 Studio & Location Glamour Lighting Techniques explores 9 different lighting modifiers.
No nudity, but I would not watch it at work

Enjoy,
Thorsten

Feb 20, 2014 at 01:49 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #2 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thanks for sharing.

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:36 AM
zeroplusplus1

p.1 #3 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thank you everyone

I tried to make them entertaining and informative

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Bookmarked Thank you Sir

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Nice job, Thorsten!

Feb 22, 2014 at 09:06 PM
JimRU
• •
p.1 #6 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thanks very much for posting this, Thorsten. I learned a lot from it!

Feb 23, 2014 at 05:35 PM
zeroplusplus1

p.1 #7 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Hi folks,

Lately, I have received many emails with "technical lighting" questions and scientific portrait lighting terms. To be truthful, I am not technical at all and terms such as "short lighting or broad lighting" are not part of my vocabulary.

As an assistant in commercial studios, we might say, "lets do a soft closed v-bank setup from the right side with a dark background". Our lighting setups were called by the lighting modifier name, background color and brightness, and specular or diffused light quality.

Or we called it after a job we shot. Lets do that "last GAP lookbook catalog lighting".

Regardless of the lighting modifier used, we ALWAYS setup the day or morning before, and shot a series of lighting test images to dial it in for this specific client.

Each studio environment is different. Your studio may be your living room or garage studio. Your studio may have skylights or windows. Your studio walls may be white, gray, black, or wood paneling. All these situations will effect your specific lighting setups and image results.

When I asked my Brooks instructors a lighting question, they smiled politely and replied, "do a test". They were not rude, but simply pointed out that "lighting test results" are specific to your shooting environment, digital workflow, and camera menu setup.

Your RAW digital workflow and camera menu setup may/will effect the contrast of your images. I set my camera for very low contrast because I prefer to add contrast in RAW processing. But that is just me and my workflow.

Shooting tethered to your laptop, CamRanger, iPad, etc is very fast and will show results specific to YOUR camera settings and studio environment. I shoot tethered to my calibraited laptop and view the test images in my RAW software, LR5.

Lightroom will display my image with my custom or specific develop modules applied. The camera LCD display is OK for a histogram, but doesn't show how the image will look in LR5 with my preset.

What works for a forum member in their Iowa studio will be slightly different than what will work in my LA studio. Run a lighting test and avoid surprises on client shoot day.

After a while of testing lighting setups, you will have a "gut feeling" of what works and what does not. With experience, we can dial in a lighting setup in 10 minutes or less just about anywhere

As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words…..do a lighting test and all your questions and concerns will be answered.

Cheers,
Thorsten

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:31 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thank you, Thorsten.

This is one of the more informative and generous posts I've enjoyed here.

Registered on FM for 5 years with an average of 4 posts a year. You're a man of few words, it seems. But when you do speak, it's worth listening to.

Post more.

Regards,

Chuck

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Deanh
• •
p.1 #9 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thanks a lot for these.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #10 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thanks!

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #11 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thank you.
Awesome photography too.

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:41 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Sticky this is a must!

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:45 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #13 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Mucho Thanks!

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:17 AM
zeroplusplus1

p.1 #14 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your comments!

I started editing a product lighting video. But today I had surgery for this silly broken ankle again.

Broke it in Death Valley on New Years day. 9 screws and 2 steel plates.

I hope I can shoot my catalog job this week from a wheelchair

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:28 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thank you

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:31 AM
dragon_eye

p.1 #16 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Fantastic, Thorsten! I have viewed your early video and learned a lot from it. The light panel I DIYed totally kicked @ss when I used at a school fashion project. This series will be much better. Thank you!

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:40 PM
zeroplusplus1

p.1 #17 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thank you, that is great to hear.

dragon_eye wrote:
Fantastic, Thorsten! I have viewed your early video and learned a lot from it. The light panel I DIYed totally kicked @ss when I used at a school fashion project. This series will be much better. Thank you!

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:47 PM
zeroplusplus1

p.1 #18 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

The first time I use the panel was for a fashion assignment in photography school. All the students and the teacher wanted to know how I got soft box to look like that. I just smiled and said "that model was not lit with a soft box"

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:53 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #19 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thorsten, Excellent post and very useful info.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:23 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Free 6 Part Creative People Lighting Video Series

Thorsten - Haven't looked at your vids but you really should know the names for the various classical styles of lighting. That way, when an art director suggests short lighting or butterfly lighting, you'll know exactly what they're talking about. When I was taking my lighting classes at Art Center, we had to photograph first mannequins and then fellow students in the studio using all the classic styles - broad, short, butterfly, Rembrandt, split, horror, high key, low key, etc. These terms have been in common use in commercial photo and film studios for many decades now and serve as an instant shorthand that everyone in the industry understands. "Lets do that "last GAP lookbook catalog lighting"" doesn't really describe anything unless everyone involved was actually there, and you happen to remember what you did.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password