FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · TV for image display

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TV for image display

I know I have seen threads about this before, but I searched and found nothing.

I honestly do now know much about tv's. We have been using a projector over the past few years and have been thrilled with it. With the layout of our new studio house, a wall mounted tv will be much more practical. We will probably do c. 50" tv. What should I be looking for, or are there specific models that work best for displaying photos?

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:51 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TV for image display

A 4k if you can spare the change!

Are you looking to link via apple TV or HDMI or?
The ability to color profile will be monumental, so if you're using an apple TV, you'll want a TV with good manual color correction capabilities (not just "sports", "Cinema", etc) or, If you're running off HDMI/DVI/VGA input, you may be able to make adjustments through your computer.

Screen refresh rate (60vs120vs240etc) is a non-issue for viewing stills so no need to get caught up in that, nor with the G2G response time.

The many of the newer TVs have much better "Dynamic Range" due to the ability to cut off light transmission in the LED backlighting, therefore creating truer blacks, so that would something to consider as well.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TV for image display

thanks for the feedback!

I think we will be passing on the 4k for now haha. Definitely will be hooking up to an apple tv, so the manual color correction is definitely something we will need. Brand-wise, is there something I should avoid?

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:13 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TV for image display

Good topic, Joel, looking forward to the replies.

Feb 20, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TV for image display

If you have a spare computer, look into a program called AirServer instead of using an Apple TV. It's capable of 1080p where the Apple TV is only 720p.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TV for image display

^ Actually the previous-gen (Pre March 2012) AppleTV could only do 720. The newer one (April 2012-present) does 1080p.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/apple-tv/index-appletv.html

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TV for image display

BiohazardX369 wrote:
A 4k if you can spare the change!

Are you looking to link via apple TV or HDMI or?
The ability to color profile will be monumental, so if you're using an apple TV, you'll want a TV with good manual color correction capabilities (not just "sports", "Cinema", etc) or, If you're running off HDMI/DVI/VGA input, you may be able to make adjustments through your computer.

Screen refresh rate (60vs120vs240etc) is a non-issue for viewing stills so no need to get caught up in that, nor with the G2G response time.

The many of the newer TVs have much better "Dynamic Range" due to
...Show more

I seem unable to get my samsung tv calibrated when it's running from my computer (basiccolor with i1 just fails). I think the colour is so messed up it is impossible to create a profile to bring the colours in. Apparently you can do a hardware calibration though

btw no one has blacks in wedding photography anymore post VSCO

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:42 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TV for image display

I've always liked Samsung for fairly accurate colors.

LG is not very good.

Feb 21, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TV for image display

I would use a program like DVD/blue ray calibration disk used to set up Home theaters.
From there I would teak to suite if needed.

This gets you to a baseline on accurate color/tint/brightness/sharpness.

What ever one you purchase, make sure they have the blue-tint film strip in it.
You use the blue strip to fine tune the tint. works well.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:17 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · TV for image display

I also no nothing about TV but am adding a 50" to the studio next week. What is a good system to allow wireless use or can a USB flash drive plugged into the TV with a slideshow provide the images?
I have seen some wireless units listed on amazon but never used anything like this before. Using PC if that matters.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · TV for image display

I've not been in the market for a TV for a couple years now... but when I was doing my research: Vizio had some really good options at the lower price points, and Samsung Series 5 (or higher) had some great options that were mid price points... I purchased one of each (for separate rooms) and couldn't be happier (Though my fiancee complains often on how slow the menu system and smart app interface are regarding response lag on the Vizio.)

jefferies1 wrote:
I also no nothing about TV but am adding a 50" to the studio next week. What is a good system to allow wireless use or can a USB flash drive plugged into the TV with a slideshow provide the images?
I have seen some wireless units listed on amazon but never used anything like this before. Using PC if that matters.

I must say that streaming via mac/pc will most-ALWAYS be superior then using thumb-drives for displaying images... thumb drives in a TV are for when there are no other options, as far as I'm concerned.

Being that I'm on the Apple Platform, an Apple TV was a no-brainer... not TOO expensive, and works relatively well for the most part (and flawlessly mirroring the desktop output, which is great for displaying photos.)

You may want to look into Roku or ChromeCast for PC. I'm not sure of their capabilities since, when I need windows, I run through virtual-box! I don't know if AppleTV supports anything more then going through the itunes interface for PC.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · TV for image display

S-Man23 wrote:
^ Actually the previous-gen (Pre March 2012) AppleTV could only do 720. The newer one (April 2012-present) does 1080p.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/apple-tv/index-appletv.html

It does 1080p only with video. AirPlay mirroring is still unfortunately 720p only.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · TV for image display

BiohazardX369 wrote:
I've not been in the market for a TV for a couple years now... but when I was doing my research: Vizio had some really good options at the lower price points, and Samsung Series 5 (or higher) had some great options that were mid price points... I purchased one of each (for separate rooms) and couldn't be happier (Though my fiancee complains often on how slow the menu system and smart app interface are regarding response lag on the Vizio.)

I must say that streaming via mac/pc will most-ALWAYS be superior then using thumb-drives for displaying images... thumb drives
...Show more

Where did you get the information that streaming is better? I am just asking to learn.
If this is true than sirus would be better than a CD/DVD.... which it is not do to compression of the signal.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · TV for image display

Sony!

Feb 21, 2014 at 01:20 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · TV for image display

Ryan Britton wrote:
It does 1080p only with video. AirPlay mirroring is still unfortunately 720p only.

Interesting...I thought it looked a little funky mirroring from the iPhone. I currently use iPhoto to run a slideshow during client consults and have even cropped the photos for the slideshow to a 16:9 ratio so it fills the screen. I would think viewing content from iTunes shows in 1080 no?

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:29 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · TV for image display

Ziffl3 wrote:
Where did you get the information that streaming is better? I am just asking to learn.
If this is true than sirus would be better than a CD/DVD.... which it is not do to compression of the signal.

I considered adopting satellite radio while it was in it's infancy... until I had the "pleasure" of using it in a rental car over a 12hr trip... It was absolutely horrendous! I can understand your perspective on the audio compression vs CD!

I in the same respect, I wouldn't necessarily advocate streaming video over DVD/blueRay (though I utilize this often!...) But, when we are talking about streaming photos over USB drive, it's a completely different scenario.

The functionality of displaying images via USB on a TV is highly impractical... TV's just aren't designed to do this well. most TVs will do a slide-show at a preset timeframe (some even allowing you to change how many seconds each image is shown,) or they may allow you to click through images individually, though implementing a UI that is very lacking. It should also be mentioned that the algorithms for downscaling the images are pretty slow, and archaic by photo enthusiast standards (Keep in mind a 1080p TV only resolves at approx. 2 megapixels!)

Given this, Mirroring has it's benefits! Data compression is a moot point in today's wireless systems, many of which are capable of transferring 100mb/s or faster, meaning the pipeline is plenty big enough for the data to flow (not to mention faster then most usb sticks!)

The main advantage is access to control. Software options such as Lightroom have many options for displaying images that you just can't get when using a thumb drive over TV, and you also have the added benefits of streaming video, or running an extended desktop, etc. It is also much less hassle then having to upload images to the thumb drive and rely on an IR remote and generally terrible UI for any extended functionality the TV MAY have on it's own.

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:43 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · TV for image display

BiohazardX369 wrote:
Vizio had some really good options

I would avoid Vizio. I heard they have a new repair policy that anything outside of the one-year warranty will not be repaired at all. You can't even pay for a repair! If it goes out at 13 months, they tell you to just buy a new one. Happened to a guy who spent about $1800 on a TV. Right outside the one-year warranty the TV went out. Vizio told him sorry, you're SOL, have a look at our new models.

Feb 21, 2014 at 08:36 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · TV for image display

D. Diggler wrote:
I would avoid Vizio. I heard they have a new repair policy that anything outside of the one-year warranty will not be repaired at all. You can't even pay for a repair! If it goes out at 13 months, they tell you to just buy a new one. Happened to a guy who spent about $1800 on a TV. Right outside the one-year warranty the TV went out. Vizio told him sorry, you're SOL, have a look at our new models.

That would definitely be something to take into consideration. I generally purchase the extended warranties on high ticket items, and pay with a CC that provides an additional year's warranty as well. Thankfully the only time I've ever had a warranty repair was through apple after a mavericks upgrade mishap!

Feb 21, 2014 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.