New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7D write speed?

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D write speed?

Can anyone tell me the actual write speed of a 7D? In other words, at what point is getting a faster CF card a waste of money?

I looked on the Canon website and couldn't find this spec.

Thanks,
Jeff

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:18 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D write speed?

While the Rob Galbraith memory card speed database is getting stale, it should be useful for you.

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:20 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D write speed?

Tops out around 90MB/s

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:26 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D write speed?

Thanks! Great info!

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D write speed?

i used a transcend 400x in mine and it was fast enough. the fw 2 gives you more buffer so if you havnt already installed it do so

as the the RG database yeah its stale now but as you can see the lexar 1000x still tops the chart , but your not getting the full potential from those cards because the same cards in the 5D3 get over 90mbps

if i was buying for the 7D and wanted the fastest bang for buck id probably invest in the Transcend 600x Around 48mbps and quite cheap .

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D write speed?

Andrew J wrote:
Tops out around 90MB/s

where do you see that tops out at 90mb/s?

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:32 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D write speed?

Can I assume that the Lexar Professional 800x will come in somewhere between the 1000 and the 600? The prices on these are way down.

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:45 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D write speed?

Found this at Canon, in the footnotes for each chart they state the 7D 'DOES NOT' fully support UDMA 7 CF cards, and that write speeds will be like UDMA 6 cards...no min or max speed is listed. They were using a 128MB UDMA 7 card for these test results...no brand or speed rating was mentioned...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware_compare

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:50 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D write speed?

Thanks StillFingerz. Yea. I saw that, too. But every card that you can buy new these days is UDMA 7.

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:01 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D write speed?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
where do you see that tops out at 90mb/s?

From my own real world tests on multiple cameras and cards. 100MB/s and 150MB/s cards do not clear the buffer any faster or give any more shots in a row. The reason is the limited UDMA 7 support and all this applies to the MKIV also! Again Canon has slow slots even on their $5,000 cameras when Nikon has fast slots on their $1,400 cameras.

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D write speed?

But Andrew , where do you get 90 from

I know the RG database is old , but it rates the Lexar 1000x in the 50's where the same card in a 5D3 and 1Dx will be around the 80's

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D write speed?

jcbradshaw wrote:
Can I assume that the Lexar Professional 800x will come in somewhere between the 1000 and the 600? The prices on these are way down.

Not sure but I think ive read (probably from Lars ) that the 800x is no quicker than the 600 for write speed . its just faster for read . I may be wrong on that though

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:26 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D write speed?

Sandisk cards clear the buffer faster and give more shots up until Extreme 90MB/s which aren't even tested on that out dated chart. They out perform every card listed on that chart in the 7D and 1D MKIV. Getting an extreme 100MB/s or higher gives no performance boost at all.

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:29 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D write speed?

How fast is fast enough, if budget doesn't matter buy the fasted card...whatever that is

But when you sift through the 'I think', 'I tested' then look at the disclaimers camera and card vendors always include with product, it's tough to decide just on speed alone...because 'no one' has a clear cut definitive answer.

So, I decide to take the advice of a few FM action shooters; read through Lars' posts as well. Adding everything up it became clear as 'fog' there's no precise answers. However, when there only seems to be a frame or two, maybe three, with burst rate. Maybe the same for write speeds...what's best for 'me' and others is...just go best-bang-for-the-buck.

I picked up a few Transend 32GB 400x CF cards...thanks Ian...for my 7D; v2.0.5 frimware is loaded, I've shot a few hundred images without any unexpected results. A friend went hawk hunting, my 7D w/300 f4L IS, with again 'no' unexpected issues.

What I mean by unexpected issue is, the card worked, buffer results were very close to those in the chart from Canon that I posted above. I'm using these 400x cards in a 1D2MkIIN and 40D, without fail so far. I've a new set of 600x 32GB SD cards being used in a G12 and the above 1D; for some reason the 400x SD were more expensive, go figure, so I grabbed the 600x's.

Four CF cards cost $173 delivered; $40 per card, plus tax, 1000X CF cards are $85 each...you do the math, yeah twice the cost/tax, but not twice the performance in a 7D.

I've enjoyed my 40D for 6yrs plus, figure the 7D will net me another 3 or 4yrs before another APS-C body will be purchased, so there's no need/want to get the fastest card. If/when a 7DII or better hits the market and it is 'tested and set in concrete' that faster cards indeed write faster, then maybe faster cards will be purchased.

Until then...I'd rather buy better glass

Jerry

Feb 19, 2014 at 09:28 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D write speed?

Always better glass, Jerry!

I am going to order a pair of 32 GB Lexar Professional 800X cards for $119. Lowest cost per GB of all the cards I looked at, plenty fast, and a solid brand. (One 64GB card is less per GB, but I prefer two 32gig cards.)

Thanks for all the help.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.